Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Thought this could be an interesting topic.  What's the worst injury you have had while making bears?  I was pushing my tapered awl through something one day and managed to put it through the bottom of my finger.
Another one was where I tore a tendon in my shoulder while over enthusiastically getting stuck into stuffing a bear.

Come on let's hear them all!

teeeej Brisbane

I had to make a 21 inch bear for a friend a few years ago. This was back when I tended to stuff my bears wayyyy to hard. So of course I over did it with the stuffing and managed to injure a ligament in my hand. Took months to heal and I ended up having to buy a special glove in order to do bear making (cause I was stupid enough not to stop while I healed). Luckily for me it did eventually heal and I have no problems now.

I have had tonnes of needle pricks but I am super careful with my awl so no problems with that.

Karon Posts: 751

Oh, Clare I think I MUST have the ultimate injury!

It was in the early 90's, when I used to make bears with plastic joints.

There was I, in messy craft room (sounds familiar?), walked across to the other side of the room in my bare feet and trode on the post of the plastic teddy bear joint. 

NOW anyone who has used those damn things know how HARD they are to break.  Not only did I break the post i also BROKE my metetarsole (sorry not sure how you speal it :crackup: ).

Oh my God, pain for next six months!

Oh another good one!

Messy craft room  bear_whistle , pair of Friskars scissors - FOOT.  Yes, it was pretty horrific - I had to pull about half an inch of blade out of my foot.  Not to mention needle injuries.

I haven't suffered a bradawl injury YET!

:hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Karon, I was going to suggest that perhaps you wear shoes but I think you need some big old clogs with 3" heels!

Two injuries come to mind.... putting the sewing machine needle through my thumb... right through the nail and out the other side. EEeww!

The second is a repetitive injury.... tendonitis and trigger finger. I've had surgery for this and will eventually need more. So take care of your hands you guys... stretch, ice if they are sore or stiff and take breaks regularly, arnica rub is helpful for some too.

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

This is an interesting topic! I found a few other threads which relate... I think Deb of Heartsez "wins" I get a little light headed every time I read this one!
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=17658&p=1

Karon Posts: 751

OMG - just read it Tami!

Daphne, the sewing machine incident bring a story to mind!

When I was about two years old I was up very early one morning - as little ones usually are (Mum and Dad where having a lie-in).

Mum said I screamed out, "MUM, MUM I've hurt my finger". Mum's reply was "Come and show me", to which I replied, "I can't I'm stuck!".  Whereupon Mum rushed out of bed to find me with my finger "sewn" into her old Singer Sewing Machine.  Mum had to un-sew me!

I do remember the incident and it took many years before I attempted to "use" a sewing machine again, and even more before I would consider an electric one.  I remember I thought that old electric sewing machine was a really terrifying and dangerous object!

:hug:

Karon

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tami, I think Deb's story has saved me from doing the exact same thing many times! I've trained myself to instantly freeze when I drop my awl or scissors rather than try to catch it. Thinking of how badly that must have hurt makes me woozy too!

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I have on numerous occasions stuck my bear stuff in ziplock bags to take over to my gran's where I can sit and sew and talk to her, and stabbed myself in the arm or leg with my shrap pointed scissors/needles/pins (depending on how I carry them).  Although the worst stab wound I got when I was about 8 or 9, and had my mum's sewing scissors, which were actually surgical scissors, again in a bag, walking along, and got them stuck in the back of my leg.  I still have the scar.  I have rammed needles under my nails (blunt end and sharp end), caught scissors, needles and the teasel brush between my legs, sat on scissors, stepped on needles and pins, and got shoulder pains from stuffing.  My mother reckons I need to spend my life wrapped in cotton wool  bear_grin

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

Oh, goodness, you all---ouchie!!  bear_cry I've had many needle and pin pricks, but I haven't had any major injuries, thank God. I know that repetitive stress injuries and such can be painful, so because I work on the computer all day and was having some odd tingling in my right hand and forearm, I taught myself to use the mouse with my left hand instead. Wish I could do other things with it, too, but I'm definitely right handed. bear_smile

Take care, everyone!
~Debora

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I remember my very first attempt at jointing a bear.  The nice pointed pliers slipped and gouged a line running up my hand between my thumb and forefinger.  I was in my early teens at the time.  I'm now the wrong side of 50 and still have the scar.

cheers,
G

clare14 Country Bears
England

I once broke a needle while hand sewing into 3 pieces and hurt my thumb, after the initial shock I located 2 pieces but never found the 'point' piece and I hunted EVERYWHERE!!  Then exactly a week later my thumb was sooo sore, yep the point piece (about a cm or so long) emerged from my wound, no wonder it stung!!  Still have the scar!!   bear_wacko

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Oh I'm always hurting my self. Between stabbing myself all the time with felting needles and sewing needles i've also cut the very tip of one of my fingers almost off and poked an awl in between my fingers. The most painful was once a was using a large 12" needle to string joint a large needle felted plush, well the needle got stuck and so I had to pull really hard and my finger was in the way....and the needle almost went all the way though my finger, had to use hemostats to pull it back out.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

So, when you say that you put your blood, sweat and tears into the critters you make, I guess you really mean it!  Don't you?  bear_happy  bear_happy  bear_grin

MadScientwist Posts: 65

AH! I may need to quit making bears!!!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I did the same as Deb, about 5 years ago - still have the scar to prove it.  Scissors went in about half an inch.  Don't ever close my knees when I drop something now! :crackup:

charlotte1 Bears by Charlotte
east anglia
Website

Oh gosh this is all making me cringe so much!! Ive not had many things happen to me just yet but im sure i will.  I will remember for when i drop something from now on!! thanks!!  The worst thing that happend to me so far is the wrong end of a sewing needle going through the end of my finger last week!!   I do remember my mum Pauline getting a crochet hook through the end of her finger.... she probably gonna kill me for telling you all!!!! but it was a mini hook that went into her finger whilst working and once lodged in we spent ages with her in lots of pain trying to dislodge the well stuck hook end.  we got it out eventually with blood, pain and a very sore finger.   Poor mum.xxxx

Board footer