Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Girls

I prefer to do it feet first and work my way up to the head - but i know a lot of you prefer to start at the head and work down.

What is the most popular way to sew a bear?

I like to leave the head until last as it takes me the longest, playing around with the eye/ear pleacement - changing the shape of the nose etc. It's also the most fun part of producing a bear too is'nt it?

I look forward to hearing what you think

Penny :P

and if any of you thought that this was going to be a rude posting - shame on you!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

HA, Penny . . . you wonky girl!!  I prefer to finish the head first, then my bear can watch the rest of itself being made.  They like that, you know!!  bear_grin

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Penny,
                      I do the head first ,as sometimes it turns out to be a character ,in which case I would not put traditional limbs on it. If its a bear you've done before ,then thats ok to do limbs and body first. But I am always trying out new designs, so its usually Head first for me.  Hugs Rita xxx

clare14 Country Bears
England

Hi Penny!!

I always make heads first too, it somehow always motivates me to make the rest of the bear!!   Make me!:)   Finish ME!!!:D   PLEASE!!!   I try to finish what I start, I know a lot of makers have lots of bears at different stages of creation but I like to finish and start again.......I don't think I'd get anything done otherwise!!!

Best wishes as always
Clare x

This is so weird!
I never sew a bears head first - i plan how i want the bear to look and finish the arms, legs and body before i even start playing around with the head.

I wonder why this is? If a head does'nt fit the body that i have already made i make a new head - ooooh am i the only one who does this? Is that why i've got lots of little heads hanging around?

I usually find that if a particular style of head does'nt work it's OK to keep the head and then come up with a body to fit - bodies are sooo much easier to make than heads don't you think?

So i suppose i'm doing this all the wrong way around, but the funny thing is, it works for me.

Head last  Penny bear_tongue

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Penny,
There is no 'wrong way'!!
I just can't wait to see the little guy's face, look him in the eye and fall in love! So the head gets done first. I do attach it to the body before I do anything. It's easier to have that unstuffed body to hang on to!
Once the face is done I have the motivation to finish him up quick. All the while I'm thinking of a name for him which is easiest when the face is done.
This makes me think of another question but I'll post it separate......
Hugs,
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Head first.  I usually almost completely finish it, too, before I even really begin on the body.  I attach it once it's entirely done at the same time I attach the rest of the limbs.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Interesting.....I'd like to say, as the resident Psych nurse, that it is an indication of the various pathologies....but that would be simply dumb....

I sew everything first, then stuff the hands and feet, then joint the little guy, then finish stuffing arms and legs and stitch  'em closed. Then he gets his head  stuffed and joint it, then clip off all 5 bolts that are too long then stuff the tummy and then figure out uf he's a boy or a girl.

OK Willydonkers is doing everything wonkbackwards :lol::lol:

And on a more serious note, although its hard cuz I am serious about my little chocolate  chocolate friend that Judi suggested, maybe the reason we love this avocation so much is because there is no right or wrong way-there is no perfect bear, and there is no such thing as a bad bear, there is no law or rule or musta, shoulda, coulda in the bear world.  Maybe the freedom from all of the rules society, and we, put
on ourselves is part of the allure.  Maybe the freedom to create and share and know, no matter how silly or wonky or how wonderful the little guy is he represents acceptance, that childlike feeling of freeness and fun.

I remember this feeling.  Kindergarten-finger painting.....Am I on to something?

Dilu

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think so, Dilu . . . your analysis works very well for me . . . NO RULES!!  YAHOO!!  bear_grin

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

I'm all for no hard and fast rules, too.  Usually, I sew all the parts and stuff the head and then attach it to the empty body, stuff and close all the parts, then set about making the facial features and add any extra coloring at the last. bear_original

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

I am starting to find I'm a sucker for tradition.  When I started my very first bear, I had no hand sewing experience.  So, I figured that the body peice would the easiest piece to sew, and wouldn't matter if I went a little wonky.  Then, I went on to the the arms - the next less hard thing, then the feet then foot pads, and then the ears.  FInally the head, becuase that's the most scary part. I still work that way.  After all the sewing is done, I then stuff the head, sculpt, set eyes, stitch nose, sew ears on.  Then I close up the head, attach that onto a saggy body, joint the legs, attach saggy arms to body then do the same for the arms.  Then I stuff arms, legs and finally head, and close up.

That's the short (long) of it!
Danni

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Penny and everyone !

I too prefer to cocomple the toe first then arm and head at last. :)

Hugs/Marie

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I get everything drawn out, cut out, trimmed up and stitched up and then I make my head.  That's my favourite bit!  Once that's done, the body is ready and waiting and I just need to stuff limbs and assemble and then do the final finishing touches.  I've found it to be the quickest method of working for me.

Laure Fool's Gold Bears
San Luis Obispo, CA

Good advice, Mandie!  Sorry you had to learn it they way you did. bear_sad

Mand me old fruit

You can always make another head out of a contrasting colour - it looks really good.
Try it the next time you feel like kicking the c**p out of another poor defenceless bear :D

Penny :P

P.S. I'm sooo glad you warned me about that particular supplier Mandie - i could have wasted a fortune

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I do the whole body first and arms and legs. I'll even joint them. Then I do the head. I can then visualize the whole bear. I think finishing the head drives the bear. I tried head first on my last bear. well, I did the whole head and them lost "steam" and the head is still waiting for a body! bear_tongue

Yes Kirsten

That's exactly how i feel - i too have a few heads hanging around waiting for the 'right' body

Glad i'm not alone with working like this. It seems that a lot of us like to do the head last. I think that the head is so very special and needs time spent on it whereas i can sew, stuff and attatch limbs to a body quite fast - the head is certainly a mysterious thing to produce

Penny:D

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

Doing the body, arms, and legs on the machine and jointing it is very instant gratification! I feel like the bear is almost done! But then the head is a labor of love and I relish the whole process. bear_original

I hand sew all my bears just because i love hand sewing Kirsten.

But i can see the attraction of machine sewing

Penny

Board footer