Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

PIROUETTE-purple-closeup-4x.jpgPIROUETTE-4x6-Full-Front-on.jpgSo here is the first of my contest entries for 2005... PIROUETTE: IN SECOND POSITION is her complete title.  She measures just a smidge over 15" from toe to top of head.

This gal was helped along in her costuming by you wonderful folks at TEDDY TALK.  All my questions surrounding tulle netting were related to her construction.  Thank you so much for helping me!

I custom made the pattern for her ballerina outfit from her body pattern -- which is a brand new pattern for me! -- and then added the skirt.  A skirt which, I want to be sure to state publicly, was a total beeeooooooooootch to make!!! 

Her costuming was the most sophisticated I've done yet, requiring lots of custom work to tailor it "just so" for a perfect ballerina fit.  The skirt has six layers of multi-colored tulle which is only about two inches wide, and it's topped with a 7th layer of lace, called a "plate" in tutu terminology.  (Daphne... I did a LOT of research to make this costume in as true-to-reality a way as I could. You would have loathed the process, given your feelings about research!)

Her outfit also features a really pretty vintage aurora borealis jewelry set which I found at a local antique shop, after searching for an ETERNITY for just the "right" way to accent her pretty, feminine costume.  In its former life it was a necklace, bracelet, and earring set.  Now, PIROUETTE wears them as: skirt trim (necklace), chocker (bracelet), and bodice accent (earrings.)

PIROUETTE was made from an Intercal super dense alpaca/mohair blend which is, if memory serves, fully 1 inch in pile length.  It was my first time using alpaca and it was an absolute dream.  Thicker than mohair at this density and length, but easy to run thru my machine.  And very forgiving of mistakes.  In fact, I'm not sure if I'd even know I made any, it's THAT forgiving.  The only difficult thing is seeing well while handstitching pieces closed!

PIROUETTE also has a custom wire armature in arms and legs.  The arms were wired so I could pose them in a graceful semi-circle, and the legs wired both to help her stand straight and tall (she's a pretty heavy, chunky girl!), but also, because I imagined her standing in second position with her toes pointed outward, and I realized I'd need really big feet and some extra help from her leg armature to get her legs to hold that foot out-turned position.  She actually balances extremely well; the armature did the trick!

I'm really very pleased with her outcome and while nominations are never a sure thing no matter what your award history, I feel I really pushed myself creatively in several directions which, before PIROUETTE, were entirely untried, so I'm very proud of her, indeed.  SHe is the rare case of a bear I've made turning out just as I imagined she would.  I wanted her to be sweet and cute, but also, just a little bit goofy.  And I wanted her outfit -- though not extensive in the sense that it covers a lot of her body -- to be elaborate and shimmery and beautifully made.  And I think I got there!

By the way... she'll likely be a life-long keeper for me, just in case you're wondering if she'll go up for sale at some point.  I haven't held on to a PBB for a very long time and she's a worthy candidate to get me to change that.

I hope you'll enjoy her; thank you for your helpful, supportive, knowledgeable and experienced contributions to her creation!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH SHELLI, SHE IS GORGEOUS!!! OH WOW, I am speechless... her face, her outfit, her paws.. her eyes... OH WOW!  :clap:   :clap:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Absolutely breathtaking...

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Lovely so where do we go to try and get you nominated?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Bambridge Bears wrote:

Lovely so where do we go to try and get you nominated?

Oh, that's a lovely thing to ask, Bronwen, but for the particular contests to which I am submitting entries... it's necessarily my job alone. 

We here in the US have two magazines, TEDDY BEAR & FRIENDS and TEDDY BEAR REVIEW, that sponsor yearly contests with entries due December/January of each year.  TB&F hosts the TOBY (Teddy Bear of the Year) Awards... and TBR hosts the GOLDEN TEDDY Awards.

Artists wishing to be considered for nomination must submit photos and descriptions of their work, along with entry fees for each piece.  Then, a committee of judges, selected by each magazines, chooses nominees for each of about 15-ish categories (small, large, dressed, undressed, vignette, artist, manufacturer... and combinations thereof) from anonymous photos, so that the process is as objective as possible.

The nominees get published in later issues of the magazine, and the public is invited to vote on their favorites.  The final "winner" for each contest, in each category, is the one the public selects from the published nominees.

Still, I thank you for being willing to actually DO something to get me a nomination!  What a nice gesture.  Thanks!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Again, your work is stunning . . . soooooo glad I didn't enter any 'dressed' categories!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

THANK YOU!!!

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Phew...glad I only entered the Friends!
So darling and I love those ballet slippers!
Where in the world did you find the time to make three adorable creations?
Love them all Shelli,
Nancy

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Cute!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Many Hugs Louise

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

I agree with Nance...
you have been busy with TT design, our advising and ta da.....NEW CREATIONS!! WOW.... bear_shocked  bear_laugh  bear_thumb  bear_wub  :hug:

Shelli you have a couple Shelli's clones, haven't you...... bear_cool

I would definatelly vote for her and the pinky piggy..  bear_thumb  :pray:

Her dress is stunning.. bear_shocked  bear_laugh  :clap:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Julia

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Shelli, I think your creations are wonderful ..... I recieved my TBR yesterday ... so will it be in this magazine later in the yr ???

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

oh my,, I'm not suprised that the tutu was a total mare...but oh so worth it.  what a stunner!!

Irene Irenours-bears
France

Very cute creation Shelli, as always bear_wub

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Shelli ........................................... WOW!!!!!!!

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Dance Ballerina Dance
bear_original Lynette

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

She's stunning! I love her outfit...gorgeous! Well done, Shelli. Good luck!

ellen ontario, canada

simply ADORABLE!!  she looks so proud of her goofy little self too!!  wonderful work Shelli - as always!   bear_flower   i'd love to see a pic of her with her arms up over her head..... ?   bear_whistle

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

SHelli, youalready know what I think of her but I will say it again.  STUNNING and simply BEAUTIFUL.  You have outdone yourself girl!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

bear_rolleyes  bear_original  bear_rolleyes  bear_flower  bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

She's a stunner.....well done!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Sign !!! Another masterpiece !   bear_thumb   i love the concept and the outfit.

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Wonderful, Amazing, Cute..... i could go on and on
Shelli she is just all that and more  bear_wub

Hugs
Vicki

Deb Upstate New York

Fantastic Shelli!  Love the tutu, and of course, those SH eyes.

:hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Her smile is so contageous.
And that ballerina outfit......... well worth all the research!! (I'd make an exception!)
Her eyes are such a gorgeous color!
Splendidly amazing job, Shelli!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

Oh Shelli ~ You've outdone yourself!!!   :clap:  :clap:

I'll second Daphne.... her smile is certainly contagious!!!  bear_grin  What a cutie!!! And she's an amazing work of art!!  bear_thumb

I'm sooooooo glad I'm not the one having to judge these! bear_flower

Board footer