Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Pages:
Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

IN-HOG-HEAVEN-4x6-closeup.jpgtif-IN-HOG-HEAVEN-4x6-full.jpgHere's the second of my contest entries.  I call this humorous little one IN HOG HEAVEN, for obvious reasons.  She even comes with her pulled polyfil cloud as an accessory!

You all here at TEDDY TALK helped me through the creation of this piece, too.  The mohair for IN HOG HEAVEN is a very sparse, fairly short, rosy tan/beige one from Intercal.  But I wanted the hair part to be pink... so I used Cushing's Acid Dye (available here) to dye it.  The backing stayed (mostly) tan, in a flesh tone color... but the mohair itself dyed to a very piggy-pink color.  It was my first foray into working with dye on mohair and great fun.  Your advice and assistance were invaluable in getting brave enough to try it out.

IN HOG HEAVEN has permanently attached, sparkle-coated wings, which are wired for limited posability and bending.  She's wearing a tulle shoulder wrap and a sash of antique-gold wired ribbon tied at her hip.

Her head, especially her snout, was a real challenge for me.  I went through several drawn-up patterns before I settled on one to try, and then I hated the outcome so much after sewing, stuffing, inserting and lidding the eyes, that I threw that dummy head right into the trash bin!  I can usually find some way to rescue a bear or critter that isn't my "favorite", but this one was beyond redemption.  Ultimately I settled on a unique method for creating her snout which I would use again in a heartbeat, involving adhering the felt to her muzzle directly, and then brushing it, smoothing and trimming, brushing, smoothing and trimming, until it became almost a part of the mohair beneath... but retained that felt texture and look.  I enjoyed the challenge of coming up with a solution to this snout issue, so the outcome is particularly rewarding.  Even if it frustrated the bejeebers out of me during the making of this little porker!

She has lots of shading and huge eyes.  And, a first for me!, human hair eyelashes!

It was fun to do her little divided hooves at hands and feet, too.

IN HOG HEAVEN kept me smiling the whole time I worked on her.  I hope you find her amusing, too! 

Thanks to you all, again, for your invaluable help in learning about protein/acid dyes, and the process of dyeing in general!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Ok, I loved your ballarina bear but  I LOVE LOVE LOVE your piggy!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! Oh if I were rich, piggy would be mine... OH MY OH MY OH MY!  :clap:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I hope Miss Piggy doesn't see this little gal or she'll be having a major jealousy coronary.  Way cute...but I already knew she would be from your banner.  I have a thing for pigs (as I explained in another post).

Your talent simply amazes me on every level.  Can I hang out in your creative mind for just a few hours...puhleeeeeeeeeeeze!!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh beautiful.  I really hope that your bears get niminated for the amount of work and talent you have wow.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Piggy is fantastic . . . sooooo glad I didn't enter the 'Friends' category!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Awwwwwwww.......... but your roosters!!!!! bear_sad

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Shelli
I have to fess up that this one is my favourite for sure and the one I predict will be nominated for sure. I certainly hope the others do as well but this one leads the pack for me. Now I know why we haven't seen any of your bears on e-bay!!! Is this one for sale?
Hugs
Gail

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

She is just SHELLI-ADORABLE...!!  Over the top Shel...I am sure she will get a nomination and if not, then there is something wrong with those judges  bear_grin
I know you have hours upon hours in her, but it is well worth it and it certainly shows.
Wish she wasn't in the 'Friends' category... maybe they could make a new category, you know, like PIGS. :dance:
Best of luck.
Nanc.......

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Very nice Shelli!

Many Hugs Louise

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Shelli, she is so unusual to see! not just amusing but amazing too!!

you have been working hard and I'm sure you will get at least nominee ( I hope you'll get Gold!)
She is the first piggy-bear I ever saw..
Godd luckfrom the bottom of my hear.. :pray:

Julia :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

nanc*e*bears wrote:

Wish she wasn't in the 'Friends' category... maybe they could make a new category, you know, like PIGS.

HA!  I know what you mean, my friend.  But nothing in life is certain, and I have some (ahem) competition in this category, and then some, in the form of a kajillion other talented soft sculpture artists... including you, my friend.  Don't sell yourself short or give me too much credit.  I figure it's an equal field at this point; seriously. 

Thanks for making me laugh, though, and for your good luck wishes.  I hope you know I wish it right back your way, and then some.

bear_original

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Shelli.
I've just dropped into TT for a few minutes...am SOOOO over committed at the moment it's not funny but I MISS YOU GUYS SO MUCH!!!! bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

I just HAVE to comment on the piggy! I looked at your other two spectacular pieces first and decided that yes, they are really somethin' special....but when I saw the piggy...well, she did it for me instantly! :clap:

I'm with Gail....this one's your winner...she's in Chauncey's league! The name, the idea, the whole deal...she's IT!!! bear_wub
Well done girlie!! bear_thumb

Hey, hey Nance...your critters are waaayyyyy up there with a chance too y'know.....don't sell yourself short! :hug:   I'm off to find your pics.....you HAVE posted them..haven't you??? bear_ermm
In our Aussie comps, we aren't allowed to show pics of comp entries beforehand, in case is leads to judge bias...but then again, they are a different kind of comp too.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Just Us Bears wrote:

In our Aussie comps, we aren't allowed to show pics of comp entries beforehand, in case is leads to judge bias...but then again, they are a different kind of comp too.

Hmmm... I never thought of that as a specific issue.  Just goes to show you how much a newbie I really still am in terms of these competitions. 

I've certainly never read anything stating that photos can NOT be shown and shared prior to judging.  And because I am entirely OCD about the whole entry "thing," I reread the entry rules over, and over, and over, and over... you get the picture... again.  So I'm 99.99999999% certain there's nothing about "not showing pics of comp entries" written into the rules for either the TOBY or the GOLDEN TEDDY. 

In fact, you can enter already sold pieces into these photo-based contests... even pieces already sold, for example, on eBay, where the entire world could see them during -- and sometimes even after -- the auction listing period.  So I'm very, very sure there isn't an explicit rule AGAINST showing these pictures.

I debated keeping these pieces to myself, for nothing other than superstition and luck's sake, until months from now, but ultimately decided to share tonight because Nancy shared hers, and Judi shared (and is currently selling one of) hers, and both were very open about it to the board, which in turn were very supportive of their beautiful work!  That support counts, because it's a very scary and vulnerable thing to enter these contests; there is pride and ego and heart and soul at stake for all of us, each and every time, for each and every entry.  I don't think anyone enters these competitions in a blase', disconnected fashion.  Especially when one announces one has plans to enter, the camaraderie and support of peers is important, because only a select few, in a very few categories, across a very few contests, get a nomination... and as we've discussed before, many pieces -- even worthy ones -- go without.

I also felt I owed a huge debt of gratitude, and a sneak peek!, to the people here at TEDDY TALK who really and truly were instrumental in my getting from A to B on every single one of these concept pieces.  Besides, people are starting to ask, "Why haven't we seen any bears for you in a month or more?"  And several someones noticed yesterday that I had used my piggy and polar images in my new vendors forum banner.  So, in the end, it started to feel silly to keep them "secret" at this point, with the last major deadline arriving next Monday. 

Having said that... I can tell you with 100% certainty that, if I come up empty across every contest on nominations this year, I will probably consider sharing photos of them a "bad luck omen" for any future contests I might enter!  Laughing here... but also... serious.

Anyway... Hayley and everyone, thank you very much for your delightful comments on my pieces, and on my little piggy girl especially.  Like CHAUNCEY last year, she just kinda came together in my head.  Maybe because it's something fresh to try, away from bears.  But I admit, I love those bears all the same!

You're all so appreciated; thank you for being my friends and supporters!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

PS to Gail:  She's not for sale, for now.  We'll see!!!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Shelli Shelli Shelli what can I say ...... I really thought posy had it for me ..... but this creation is stunning ....... you truelyare an artist ....... :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Shelli, I love her...  I love all things porcine and this little cutie is tooooo precious!

Way back in the days before bears, I collected pigs.  I still want a pet one!

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Wow, Shelli, she is just over the top!! You should be extremely proud of yourself for creating this beautiful girl! I have to go take a peek at your others still, but I'm pretty sure this little piggy is gonna be the favorite!

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hee Hee Shelli - she makes me giggle  bear_rolleyes

What a cute little pigglywiggly - i love all the other creations too

Good Luck with the Toby's  bear_thumb

Penny  :dance:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Tigers and piggies and mice  on my!   We have some really wonderful competition here!  SHelli this is the best pig I have ever seen!  We could start a whole farmyard here...mice, pigs sheep..........  Really stunning peice!!!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Yes, and it's delightful that we all get to compete with one another!  I know we're all grown ups and there will be no hurt feelings no matter what, right?  (This is actually me, talking to myself; as a winner in this category last year, I feel like I will somehow let the world down if I don't at least pull in a nomination this year.  Too much pressure. :()

It's the spirit of it all that counts (right?), and the self-challenge (right?), and the great feeling of being brave and TRYING (right?).  And the greater feeling of being SUPER brave and announcing to the world, on a public forum, that we're trying (PS  Are we entirely crazed?) 

I love the idea of a TT barnyard, contests or otherwise.  We should get these critters together.  Or, easier still, maybe I'll get these critters together, for a virtual barnyard -- or, in Judi's case, zoo-side -- cup of tea!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

So original...very clever.....what else can I say!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

This is the most AMAZING , beautiful pig I have ever seen.  Shelli, if I beg long enough can I have her.  PLEASE - O.K., but she is something else !!!!!!!!!   She makes me giggle inside - I mean that in a good way !

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

What a wonderful creation - you can even make piggies look pretty!

nettie scotland
Website

I love this so much.Pigs are one of my favourite animals and this one is just so fabulous.the very very best of luck with her.
Diane xx

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

A beautifully creative piece of workmanship  bear_wub   bear_wub  Who would have thought a pig or a skunk (the underdogs of the animal kingdom in some cases) could be so appealing! Of course the talent of the creator has very much to do with it!! Very best of luck to you and all our wonderful family here tat have entered!!  :hug:

Pages:

Board footer