Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Deb Upstate New York

I'm going to be attending a conference in San Antonio in March.  I was thinking to myself upon learning this ... great ... SueAnn, Donna, Roxanne ... one of them HAS to be within a few miles.  NOT! 

Hope you people don't have to travel across state to see family and friends.  It's like crossing a small country!  Gheeesh!

Roxanne Bear Paws by Roxanne
Odessa, Tx

Hey Deb,
You are correct! We are miles from anywhere. I am about 6 1/2 hours from San Antonio. I hope that you will enjoy your time there. San Antonio is a great place to visit. If you have not yet checked it out, here is a link with visitors information. San Antonio attractions

Deb Upstate New York

Thanks for the links Roxanne!  The conference has a variety of optional excursion planned for Sunday, but I have a session on Sunday.  We'll fly in on Saturday, and that will be my only day to do any sightseeing.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Conference for WHAT, Deb?  Curious minds want to know... bear_original

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Woohoo . . . San Antonio is one of my very favorite places!  BE SURE to do the River Walk - lots of fun stuff there.  Yep, Texas is a big place.  Start in the east at dawn and you still won't be in El Paso by dark (driving).  Start way up north in the Panhandle and it takes at least two days to drive to Brownsville.  There's a lot of variation in terrain, vegetation, and even climate as you move from one area to another - something for everyone.  Have a blast in SA, Deb - wish I could be there, too!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Sue Ann, have you been in Texas all or most of your life?  And also, I keep wondering... do you have that wonderful accent?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Yes, Shelli . . . born and reared on the plains of west Texas.  The only time I spent out of the state was while Paul was in the Air Force (nearly 7 years).  Otherwise, I've got reeeeaaaallly deep Texas roots.
Yes, I think I have a tinge of a Texas Twang, but it's been modified a bit by living in different places . . . Syracuse, NY, Biloxi, Miss, and Colo. Springs, CO.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I MUST come meet you and take you out so I can hear you talk!  I love a gentle -- or twangy! -- southern accent.

Although I've lived abroad for several years and have been to Europe again, and the relatively inaccessible Hawaiian islands, for big vacations, I've never "done the south," which to my eye, being from Northern California, seems to begin somewhere near... Arizona, and heads straight east from there.

:)

Biloxi, Mississippi?  Wow!

I have to admit that, in addition to the incredibly tragic loss of human life, and the enormous suffering, which of course have received the biggest share of my attention and sympathy... I was particularly heartbroken when Katrina roared through New Orleans because, after reading so many Anne Rice/Lestat novels -- and after perhaps one too many trips to Disneyland's "New Orleans Square" and haunted house, with all those ironwork balconies and gorgeous trims! -- I had imagined the city of New Orleans being "just so," and hoped to see it within the next few years as part of a southern tour, perhaps in the form of a road trip.  So much culture, music, dining, atmosphere, and history... all gone now.  Very disappointing, indeed.

bear_sad bear_sad bear_sad

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Sherry, my older daughter, has a very good doctor (medical) friend who lives in NOLA.  He said that much of the French Quarter was spared the devastation that other parts suffered.  I've been there only once - when I was senior in high school.  That was our school's senior trip.  Can you imagine two bus loads of teenagers running amok in the French Quarter??  Of course, all the guys wanted to visit the strip joints . . . oddly enough, the teachers and chaperones (my mother was one - eek!) allowed us to go to one for a short while.  Actually, it was more of a jazz bar . . . and it was great!  Of course, NO has changed a lot since 1959!  Ah - the good ol' days!

Deb Upstate New York

SueAnn ~ River Walk ... check!  bear_happy   The only whole day we'll have is Saturday, but sessions are done mid afternoon, so we'll have the evenings too.  Any "must visit" restaurants would also be helpful.  We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa (northwest part of San Antonio), near Sea World of Texas if that helps.  Syracuse?  Cool!

Shelli ~ I've been to NOLA just once on business, but it indeed oozes of culture and a spirit that I doubt Katrina could wash away.  They say they're rebuilding.  I'd go back in a heartbeat.

The conference I'm attending is a client conference for users of a particular RMIS (Risk Management Information System).  Lots of forums as well as hands-on sessions on technical solutions to business needs.  We utilize this system to track workers' compensation claims primarily, as well as liability claims.  We also record our insurance coverage information there (policies, carriers, limits, deductibles, aggregates, etc.) ... and it serves as a database for worldwide physical property values.  Pretty boring, 'ey?  But that's it in a nutshell.  Sorry to disappoint curious minds.  bear_grin

I'd rather talk about noses and bras and ideas for banners!  (Did you get my email and understand what the heck I meant?)

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Deb wrote:

(Did you get my email and understand what the heck I meant?

Yes, I did... and Yes, I did.

:)

Let me know when/if to move forward; we can hammer out details later.

PS  Conference does NOT sound boring; just out of my area of expertise and experience.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Deb wrote:

SueAnn ~ River Walk ... check!  bear_happy   The only whole day we'll have is Saturday, but sessions are done mid afternoon, so we'll have the evenings too.  Any "must visit" restaurants would also be helpful.  We're staying at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country Resort and Spa (northwest part of San Antonio), near Sea World of Texas if that helps.  Syracuse?  Cool!

If you like Mexican food, try Mi Tierra in El Mercado (Market Square).  The Mission Trail is interesting, but takes a lot of time.  Of course, the most famous of the missions is The Alamo and that's very near the River Walk.  You probably don't give a cockroach's patootie about Texas history, but it is a very important part of our heritage.  You know - Davy Crockett and his crowd.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Shelli wrote:

after reading so many Anne Rice/Lestat novels --

AHHH. you have found another one of my favorites.. Anne Rice!!! I love the Vampire Chronicles Books!

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I miss Texas  bear_sad
Colorado is just toooooooooooooo cold for this texas gal.

Texas History,
SueAnn you sound like my dad , he is a Texas History buff big time! His family
is from the old 300. We have to get a tx history lesson at least once
a month. hahahaha

Board footer