Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Wishing you all a Beary Happy New Year  :dance:   I'm wanting to knit a nice little sleeveless jacket/cardigan for a 15" Bear.  I've found quite a few cute ones designed for babies, but I'm not sure on sizing. Do you know what age baby pattern would be suitable for a 15" size Bear?  Would it need to be a preemie size or would a 1 year old pattern be too big?  Thanks for any ideas,
Bear Hugs
Catherine xx

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Bumpkin Bears wrote:

Wishing you all a Beary Happy New Year  :dance:   I'm wanting to knit a nice little sleeveless jacket/cardigan for a 15" Bear.  I've found quite a few cute ones designed for babies, but I'm not sure on sizing. Do you know what age baby pattern would be suitable for a 15" size Bear?  Would it need to be a preemie size or would a 1 year old pattern be too big?  Thanks for any ideas,
Bear Hugs
Catherine xx

Measure teddy's chest - this is what most baby patterns are based on. A newborn baby will be about 16 inch chest - a prem pattern would be 13-14 inch.

A one year old baby would be approx 18 - 20 inches.

If the pattern is too big, try using smaller needles and a less thick yarn. For example knitting a double knitting pattern with size 4mm needles with 4 ply yarn and 3mm needles will give you something that is about a size smaller.

Most patterns will have instructions for  a tension swatch - try it out in smaller needles and see what it measures, then you can gauge what the final size will be. For example, if the tension swatch says that 10 stitches equals one inch, but your 10 stitches measures 3/4 inch, then you will know that the size will be 3/4 of the original. So a 16 inch chest pattern would become a 12 inch chest pattern. Adjusting the number of rows is easy as yuo can just knit to where you want to be.

When I first started Hugs Unlimited, along with bears I used to design knitted clothing - I am hoping to get some knitting patterns into Teddy Bear Times for next winter.

Hugs

Dawn

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

great help Dawn, thanks so much.  I'll take a look at the patterns I found.  Looking forward to seeing your patterns later in the year bear_original  I am loving knitting again, it's so relaxing.
Hugs
Catherine
xx

Board footer