Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Hi All,
I have a few questions about standard bear sizes and selling bears.

I have been researching the forums and google but I still need your help with a few things.

Sizes.
I see lots of reference to standard bear sizes but I can't find a list aside from on the Australian bear creations entry form from a few years ago? Can anyone tell me what the standard sizes are and why your bears need to be this size?

Certificates
Does everyone provide certificates of Authenticity with their bears? What needs to go on the certificate?
Do you put a photo?

Tush tags
Is the tush tag just an identifier? should it have more info than just a logo?

Sorry to bombard you but I've been invited to submit for a market and applications close Monday, I just want to get all my duck in a row.

Thanks in advance!
Jen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My feeling is that "standard" size means bears bigger than miniatures.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think minis are 4 inches and under.  I always provide a cert. of authenticity with this information:  Name of Bear, Edition Size (either one-of-a-kind, limited edition, or open edition), Purchase Price, and Date of Birth.  My signature goes at the bottom.  In addition to my business logo, I sign my name on the tush tag and the year bear was made.  There's really not a set way to do these things . . . just a matter of preference.  Hope this helps.

melbourne

Thanks SueAnn!
This is great info.
I know how these things work in the art world but in the Bear world things seem a little different!
So OOAK means you won't use that combination of fabric & pattern again? Limited edition means you can?
Or  is it limited edition when you use the same patter with different fabrics? And OOAK when you don't ever use that pattern again?

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, OOAK means exactly that . . . there will never be another bear just like this one.  Limited edition means that there will be 'X' number of bears that look alike - same fur, same pattern, same accessories - but no more after that 'X' number is reached.  Open edition is an indefinite number of the same bear.  Welcome to Teddy Talk, by the way!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

The whole one of a kind thing is a huge can of worms, different people have different definitions, some using it very loosely IMHO.  I prefer to use the term one of a kind finished if I am going to use the same fabric and pattern for more than one bear,   then theres the term 'series' which could also refer to bears finished with the same pattern/ fabric but finished differently.
    Good luck with the market:) are you going to sign up to the show in Berwick? I see you're in Melbourne too bear_original

melbourne

Thanks SueAnn & Karen.

I've done some more reading on the OOAK thing and I think I'll go with Original Design for now.

Karen, I haven't heard about the Berwick show, can you give me any details? the market I'm doing is the Craft Vic Children's market at the state library in march.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Melissa Kemp is organising it, just checked and her site is now teddybearfairs.com.au. It's the same weekend as the old bear shows, first weekend in May.

melbourne

Thanks Karen,
$200 eeek! I haven't even sold a bear yet, I don't think this one is for me this year at least!
Unless you hear of anyone who need someone to share a stall with, which would be the only way I could even consider it.

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Yes, it's not cheap, but the people who go there are the ones who are looking for artist pieces, so while the outlay may be more, the visitors are the right ones, if you get what I mean. Sadly, at some markets etc, people expect to pay made in China soft-toy prices, I even found this at the stitches and craft show where people should know better.
     Some shows do offer half tables- if you were interested it might not hurt to email Mel and ask just in case. I hope you'll pop along and say hi even if you don't trade bear_original

melbourne

Thanks Karen!
I have emailed her and we'll see what comes of it.
I'll definitional be there either way! And will most definitely stop by and say hi!

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Karenaus, I'm just reading back through the archives.  When I first joined TT and saw this post, I thought you were criticizing manufactured bears, but now I have finally understood what you were talking about in this post.  When I try to sell my bears to people who aren't used to artist bears, they freak out at the price I'm asking.

karenaus Melbourne
Website
wubbiebear wrote:

Karenaus, I'm just reading back through the archives.  When I first joined TT and saw this post, I thought you were criticizing manufactured bears, but now I have finally understood what you were talking about in this post.  When I try to sell my bears to people who aren't used to artist bears, they freak out at the price I'm asking.

Uh yes I try not to criticise things (online especially), and it would be hypocritical of me to criticise manufactured bears because some of my designs have been manufactured bear_original
    Sort of shows tho that no matter how hard I try, I can still be misunderstood lol...

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

It's okay.  I was just hypersensitive at the time because I have a lot of manufactured bears and my favorite bear in the whole world is just that, a soft toy made in China.  I understand what you were saying now, though.  Sorry if I came off like a straightie.

Board footer