Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Helen Out 'n About Bears
Poole, Dorset, England

Can anyone tell me where I can buy synthetic fur fabric/plush that is cheaper than mohair, yet good quality?  I would like to offer customers an alternative to a mohair bear, which is too expensive for some people who are buying a bear as a gift, for example.  However, the fur fabric I can buy locally is of dreadful quality-----stretchy, mats easily, etc.

Some of the manufactured bears I own, that are made from synthetic fabric, are lovely------so where do I get this type of fabric?

Helen

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Hi Helen...I use lots of synthetics...problem is they seem as expensive and in some cases more expensive than mohair...

I get it from Edinburgh Imports mainly...there are knitted ones about which require you to line it first...one way to look at it though is no matter how expensive or inexpensive your fabric is the work is the same..

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I'm in australia and either order it from www.bearycheap.com or from www.gerrys.com.au.

You can get some fabulous synthetics for much cheaper BUT beingin Oz I don't know whether it would be viable.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

I too was going to recommend looking at Edinburgh Imports.  I've seen some lovely synthetic on their site.

Something you might try if you don't want to go with the more spendy synthetics, but can't stand the super stretchiness...is to line your synthetics with muslin.  Its a very inexpensive fabric, and will keep the sythetics from stretching so much.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I order from Edinburgh & Beary Cheap too. I find that most of what I get from Beary Cheap is incredibly soft but it's loosley knit so needs to be lined.

The manufactured bears like Gund, Russ, etc....... they have special mills, usually in China, that make the fur JUST for them so you'll have a hard time getting exactly what they use.

I've also found some nice faux fur on eBay from time to time.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

I've seen in Michelle Lamb's auction listings that she often uses the synthetic from good coats.   You know... a lot of people buy used fur coats for their bears... she buys used synthetic fur coats (good quality ones) but I'm not sure from where...  she has certainly gotten some unique furs that way!

warwickshire uk
Website

I have bought coats too..I have bought a few from ebay but since my last 'problem' I now look in charity shops...they must be virtually new or you can't use much of the fur ..it gets squashed!!!!!!

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

Hi Helen,

If you are looking for cheaper synthetic plush then I know that www.bearcountryuk.com have some. It is not always as thick and top quality as faux furs but if you were looking for an alternative it may help you.  I have tried a few and found the quality of the backing and 'fur' to be good.

Catherine

Twisted.Whiskers Posts: 5

Edinburgh having a white sale - fabrics at 40% off.  Included are some colors that are not really white.  There are synthetics included.   The S906/S908 range is pretty popular.  It doesn't stretch but tend to fray.  Usually, my room gets very furry when I use the synthetics.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I have found some good quality synthetics at Hancocks..to make cost effective bears for local sales...like your neighbors.
Inspect the furs tho. for flaws which often you can work around ..I found a very good fur that I know retails for $60 Yd...problem was that piece narrowed down to 1/3 less in width of the yardage...that happened when wound off the machine..no problem, I got 30% more off that one. Another piece of lovely stuff ...the direction of the nap suddenly changed from nort and south the east and west...LOL...no problem, Ill just cut my bears which ever direction the nap goes in...as long as the pattern is layed either on the straight or crosswise...will not make much of a diffrence...I paid $20 yd...Winney

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Admiral have intersting synthetics they are marked not suitable for toys, but if you only make collectors bears they will be OK. The grizzly looks interesting  bear_original
http://www.admiral-bears.com/acatalog/O … ns_10.html

Helen Out 'n About Bears
Poole, Dorset, England

many thanks everyone--I will look into it!

Helen

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I've bought a lot of synthetics (for bigger bears) here:
http://www.imstuffedfur.com
She has a lot of good quality stuff. They have the knitted back, but all the ones I've bought had almost no stretch. She also gets so much stuff in that she doesn't get it all on her site. If you don't see it on her site, tell her what you are looking for, she'll go through everything she has to find it. Be patient. Good service and pretty decent prices too.

warwickshire uk
Website

Hi ...I just bought some from I'm Stuffed Fur...I lined it first with cotton....which was tricky as I tried a small piece of fusible and it wasn't good...it creased the fur considerably...yuck...soooooo I went to a craft shop and bought spray fabric glue and bingo...non- stretch linings in 30 seconds flat....that don't budge an inch.

The lady at I'm Stuffed Fur  ( Beverley??)was very nice, but helpful?.....hmmmmm....I sent a couple of pictures of what I wanted and got an email back saying she couldn't possibly go through all their stock to find what I wanted as they have 1000s ( which is understandable but how do you get to find out what they have since the website is minimal if they do stock 1000s)...so on that score, not helpful at all...so I ordered from the website in the end and it is nice stuff...but would I order again?...probably not....I may give her another try as she said she was hectic at the time...and very nice.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  I've got a stash of faux fur too, since somewhere in my future is a great plan to make high-end child-safe bears for the children of well-off parents . . .  bear_whistle

I've bought some really nice furs from UserID Stevesoma on eBay. It feels a bit coarse as is, but I think that's the finishing chemical or something. I wash and douse it in hair conditioner, and it comes out soft and silky. I;ve paid $18-$20 US per yard.

Eileen

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Hi Stephanie ! I was just going to mention I'm Stuffed..LOL... Winney

Board footer