Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Just venting here, but here's the latest information I got from eBay.

1.) They won't be charging insertion fees anymore for up to 50 items per month. (sounds nice, right?)

2.) They WILL be charging the final value fee (a percentage, basically) on the whole sale, including postage!!!

OK, so if I offer overseas shipping, I owe more to eBay on the transaction because overseas shipping is more expensive. I don't collect any more money from buyers than what the shipping costs, so that extra cost (FVF to ebay) just comes directly off the top of the sales price and goes right into ebay's pocket, right? (In fact, I always collect less than the actual cost of shipping because the price is just so alarming otherwise.)

Somehow it doesn't even seem legal for ebay to charge me a percentage on money that I'm simply handing over to the post office. (It DOES sound they've figured out how to make even more profit at sellers' expense - standard ebay operating procedure, I guess.)

Grrr.

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

You've got it!!!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

And that is why artists have left eBay® as a market tool - in DROVES over the past 2 years....

MadScientwist Posts: 65

Is this why more people seem to be using Etsy ?

suburban Chicago

And other sites, I'd say Yes - - -

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I hope the trend of people to other sites continues, but ebay still draws a very big audience. (I also sell other things on ebay besides my bears, so Etsy doesn't help me with that.)

Thanks for listening. :hug:

Becky

suburban Chicago

And other sites; their own blogs, other sales sites and lists too numerous to mention - - - I'd say Yes!
eBay® was a pioneer but they've peaked and have done themselves in for the one-off/one-of-a-kind listers.
The wave has passed us by for all but the most intrepid. They are looking for those who list in the masses of items—i could se that when I attended eBay® University, a free seminar put on in major cities several years ago. Don't know if they continue those...
But it was definitely geared toward the Power Sellers in the room: I felt like I was attending a good old Bible revival meeting, even an Amway convention from its early days! (Get out there and SeLL!  Y O U  C A N   D O  I T !!!!!!!!!!)

I think they're imploding and are desperately trying to recapture their income of past Glory Days! I don't sell and hardly buy there anymore.

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

I hate eBay!!! Used to use them, but they have become so seller unfriendly!!!  bear_angry

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I have to agree; eBay is trying to be Amazon and they are catering to the large companies and sellers at the expensive of the one-of-a-kind artists. I still sell there only because I can bring my own collectors and run an auction. But I know I won't be there much longer unless things change. The whole category of artist's bears is disappearing. Hopefully bear_thumb a new venue of sale will be starting and I will follow. One plus is I have a recent, and pretty extensive list of buyers I can take with me. I do use Bear Pile but only for my pieces that are priced $300 and under. Bear Pile is great in that there are many international buyers. Last time I checked etsy, it seemed to have the same roadblock, items over $300 were not selling well.
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

Dreli-Bears Dreli-Bears
Salzburg
Website

I love bear-pile - it's really the best - I didn't sell bears on ebay for quite a time, charges are much too high .....

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It sounds like all of us are pretty disgusted with them, which makes me feel a bit better.  bear_happy

Bobbie wrote:

But it was definitely geared toward the Power Sellers in the room: I felt like I was attending a good old Bible revival meeting, even an Amway convention from its early days! (Get out there and SeLL!  Y O U  C A N   D O  I T !!!!!!!!!!)

This has me laughing out loud, Bobbie! An ebay revival meeting!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Becky

suburban Chicago

I definitely kept my mouth shut - and moved to the back of the room, though I did go into the Q&A line at the mic when they opened them up. Don't remember my question now, but I stumped them (in public!) and they didn't have a definitive answer - I made my point and that was the important thing!!!

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Mu husband who pretty much makes his living from ebay told me this morning that if you sell international your fees will come from your domestic shipping price, not your international price.  That seems a little more fair at least.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

your fees will come from your domestic shipping price, not your international price

Thanks for the info, Joanne. That does even things out, at least. It also makes sense in that ebay seems to encourage international selling.

Becky

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

For me it doesn't make any difference as I offer free shipping.  Since the cost for that comes out of what I get for the bear, I'm already paying fees on the postage.  I wish I could afford to go off ebay because of the large fees, but it still works best for me.

annalong MadebyAnna

Ebay seems to be the only way I can sell a bear too  bear_noexpression I wish I had better results with Bear Pile but I don't  bear_sad  bear_sad I just noticed to have UK visibility has been raised 10 cents . It is now 50 cents . ugh

Board footer