Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Karon Posts: 751

Some time ago I went onto Terry's website but got no reply.

In case anyone doesn't know - Terry makes beautiful large Steiff like bears and USED to produce patterns also.

If anyone has a pattern they could sell or give me this would be wonderful.  In case you are wondering - I want this pattern so I can recreate a one off bear for myself.

Have a small bear pattern called Dusty that was in TB & F by Terry.  I admire his work SOOOOO much and have a metre of curly black mohair which has a bear lurking in it!

:hug:

Karon

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi Karon, his website is saying new patterns and shows this http://www.terryjohnwoods.com/$patterns.htm.  Perhaps he recently updated his site?  Hope someone can help you!

Ali

THANKYOU so much.

I admit it was some time ago I went on his site.

I ADORE Mason.

HELP - how big a piece of fur does one need for a 36 INCH BEAR!

You have made me very happy telling me this news!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I just had a look at this site and you have me wanting to make the same one now.  I will be watching your other post with interest.  I figure that 1 metre should be plenty I have made a 24inch bear out of 1/2 metre and this is only another 12 inches.  Try emailing the question and see what they say.

Snookums Posts: 285

I love Mason...I also love Maxwell and Spruce!!! I can see some big bears in my future!! One question, though, when a pattern says 36 inch does that mean sitting height or height over all?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Snookums wrote:

when a pattern says 36 inch does that mean sitting height or height over all?

That will be the height overall, and a biiiiig bear!  bear_original

Becky

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

I just had another look at the patterns - hmmm while obviously very talented - $85.00 for a pattern?  Still if that's what people want I guess they will pay.  I am still not entirely turned off just wondering how to justify the pattern cost plus the mohair.

Oh GOD - I didn't get to the price bit.

Pick me up off the floor do!

Clare do you fancy us to pooling our resources - in other words going halves?

Karon

PM me if you do.

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Clarebear wrote:

I just had another look at the patterns - hmmm while obviously very talented - $85.00 for a pattern?  Still if that's what people want I guess they will pay.  I am still not entirely turned off just wondering how to justify the pattern cost plus the mohair.

I had a look too. If this is the price for pattern only plus another $10 for handling and shipping I would try and have a go by enlarging an existing pattern or draw a pattern myself. I absolutely don't intend to insult the artist, but these are prices I consider acceptable for a pattern plus mohair, maybe for a somewhat smaller bear but certainly not for some sheets of paper, hopefully proper instructions and the exclusivity of being the owner of a copy of a pattern by TJW for the price of what, almost $100 ?

Perhaps there are people who think otherwise, but this is how I think about it.
There are some good books with classic-style bear patterns, although smaller size, but I think it would be a solid base to work with if you want, like you said, to make a bear for yourself. There is e.g. the American Teddy Bear Artists Pattern Book by Linda Mullins (ISBN 0-87588-519-5) that contains the pattern of a 46cm bear 'Ruthie' by Kathleen Wallace of Stier Bears that you could, with some effort, enlarge and make a lovely nostalgic Steiff-type with centre-seam head in the size you want. It's a real nice book with good patterns and proper instructions. I think the book will still be on sale somewhere. It contains patterns in different sizes by various US bear artists. It was published by Hobby House Press in Grantsville, Maryland. Price when published was $24.95  (but now much less e.g. on http://www.amazon.com/American-Teddy-Be … 875885195) so if you want you could save yourself some money, unless you insist on the real TJW pattern of course  :rolleyes:

Hope this helps. Good luck on your big bear project!

Yes, I have that book, Ruthie is lovely and I have made her.

However, in my opinion, even Kathy Wallace's bears don't hold a candle to TJW's - his because actually look like the real McCoy, Kathy's (as wonderful as they are) still look like "old style bears".

I think one is paying for Terry's expertise in producing the ultimate pattern for a large old Steiff  (hate to guess how much his actual bears cost).

Many thanks for your suggestion though, Marianne.

Karon

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam
Karon wrote:

hate to guess how much his actual bears cost

... educated guess: maybe even more than a real classic Steiff  bear_cry

and the result ultimately depends on your own skills and performance, no matter how good the pattern you use.

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

He also has his prices for the bears on his website.  I am thinking that if I try and replicate something at least I will own the pattern then and perhaps I could start selling them for say $75 LOL   :crackup:  :crackup:
Seriously though they are wonderful bears and while I like the idea of pooling resources that goes against the grain of what artists try so hard to achieve and I don't know that I can be a party to that.  I do have a pattern by someone that is quite similar but I can't remember who it is by and I need to go and look for it which could take several weeks. It will take me at least one week to find my craft room.

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

Well you ladies better hurry and decide because those prices are a LIMITED TIME OFFER (give me a flipping break) Nothing like ripping people off, seriously $10.00 shipping the airmail plane better land in front of my house for that cost . It's out and out gouging that's what that is.  I purchased one of his patterns yrs ago for a friend of mine for her birthday as she loves antique style bears. I paid under $15.00 for the pattern.

Sorry to rant but I really hate when artist rip people off on stuff like that.  Not meant to offend anyone I just have a problem in speaking my mind  bear_grin  bear_grin

big hugs

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I have been looking for a similar pattern to this too, a real old fashioned bear to turn into something special. I can't afford that kind of money for a pattern though!

if anyone knows of something similar in a largish bear, please let me know.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I agree with the one that said, even tho you are paying that kind of money for a pattern, does not mean it will look exactly like the pattern. How many times has there been a pattern given and say ten people do the bear, believe me they all look different.  That is just toooo much for any pattern.  but good luck if thats what you want.
Hugs Pat bear_flower

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

Makes one wonder if they are so pricey because he took his childhood Steiff apart to see how it all went together(Please note I am trying to be amusing here not cast aspersions on the artist) for those that are interested - some of the bears on his website were around the $850.00 mark but there were different sizes etc.  I suggest you go and have a look.  I still think that they are magnificent bears but unless the pattern pieces are lined in gold leaf I cannot justify it.  I am having a rethink though....Karon can you please pm me?

Waterloo, Ontario

Clare I have seen them on ebay usually selling for around 200.00  - 400.00 US or a bit more depending on size. Not sure what has changed in his bears in the last few yrs, but hey if he can get people to buy his patterns at that price then I guess more power to him.   I'm also wondering  if maybe he has priced the patterns that high so people won't actually buy them.  Maybe he found to many people were buying them and then making the bears and selling them. That's a possibility I guess, I am not trying to discredit him in anyway he makes lovely stuff, I just don't see a need for patterns to be that expensive that's all.

big hugs

OMG - I didn't realise I had started such a fiery post bear_grin .

After 25 years of Bear Making (in various styles) though, I know I could reproduce a very convincing antique reproduction Steiff ... if only I had that pattern bear_whistle .

Waterloo, Ontario

LOL  Karon to funny.

Well I don't think it's a fiery post you started, but it's a good one. I do like Terry's work as well and he makes lovely bears. I truly don't mean to put him down in anyway , just the prices make you stop and go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm,

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

It makes you wonder at what point can you suddenly stop selling patterns for $10 - 20 and up them to $85.  I agree with the comment by The Bear Guys that perhaps he doesn't want people to buy them. I am still thinking about the quantity of mohair required - now that I ahve actually thought about it I am not so sure that 1 metre will cover a 36 inch bear.  Perhaps I will just have to wait and see what the pattern says when I get it - lol.
Why oh why do I only buy short pieces of mohair at a time?

Waterloo, Ontario

Clare a Metre of mohair should be lots for a bear that size , and likely have some left over.

hugs

Shane

The Bearguys

No, I don't for one minute think you are putting Terry down - his work is just out of this world isn't it.

I have wanted one of his patterns for SOOO long!

Pippin Posts: 2

To Karen- There is one on Ebay right now bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

This is an interesting thread—as I received a question just today about one of my best-selling patterns - and I stopped selling both fabric bears and this kit line over 15 years ago. It never occurred to me to charge more than the original price of $12 (as a reprint from my original master pattern, as a one-off, personal copy) because no one will be likely to reproduce a copy of the bear like I was able to design it.
I will print it out only as a personal copy, not to be reproduced.
It could have stayed a lucrative income-producer to me over the years as newcomers appear on the scene, but I too think it's unconscionable to run the price up so high—for whatever reason.
We are all brilliant designers in our own right....but owning and sewing to anyone's design specifications doesn't guarantee having any bear end up looking anything like the original design!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I met Terry several years ago at Boxborough MA,. in the 90's  when he was still exhibiting at shows.  He's a very sweet guy and we were going to do a trade, until hubby sold the piece of mine that Terry wanted GRR.   I love his bears  - I've seen them up close and held them and he certainly has a recognizable style, but I don't think they really look like the old Steiffs.  He always uses centre seam etc. but if you go on his website and have a really good look at ALL the bears, sometimes his body shape is really odd.  Some of them are really nice but some of them I wouldn't want at all.  I think Liz's bears from Forget-Me-Not bears are much more Steiff like and it's a shame she quit making bears.  I'm lucky to have one and I treasure it.  I hope I'm not offending anyone - this is just my personal opionon.  I think if I really wanted to make a bear like an old Steiff, I'd buy a book on Steiff bears and study the pictures.  Eighty-five dollars + ten for shipping for a pattern, that might not end up the way you were hoping is a little risky, in my book.  I do remember having a conversation with Terry, and he was quite upset because an artist had bought several of his patterns, made bears and marketed them as his own designs and became quite famous, which might explain why he charges so much but I could do a lot of experimenting for that kind of money - just saying lol!

Board footer