Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

schulte_caramel.jpg
I saw this fabric online and wondered if any of you have seen a curly, short pile alpaca like it? I'd love to try some. (I'd be happier if the pile was a titch longer but won't be picky!) This is a Schulte fabric but Edinburgh doesn't carry it, nor is it on Schulte's website. I emailed the person who had the picture but have yet to hear back.

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie … %3AIT&rd=1
I think we have had the same idea ! bear_laugh bear_laugh bear_laugh

If I win the auction, I'll try to make a bear with this fabric fast to tell you. But maybe you'll win this auction, not a problem  ;).

I think it must be a great fabric :).

Hugs,
Marion

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I emailed the lady listing this and she gave me the website she orders it from. I can't read German and am really confussed as to how to order.  bear_sad   bear_cry

It is:
http://www.probear.com/de/shop/pi-15349 … tegoryId=8

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, my ex husband is fluent in German and I'm sure, schedule permitting, would be happy to translate so you could order.  Where's Sabine???

If you find something you like let me know the specifics and I'll get him to help out.

I can translate a fair bit of it myself; it says stuff about "curly alpaca wave" and the minimum amount you can order , etc.  Nothing spectacular.

I think the biggest hurdle for us A-MER-I-CANS would be understanding how to order mohair in a metric world!

Is it FAT QUARTERS in that world, too, metric people???

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thanks, Shelli.
If I read it right the stated price is per centimeter with a 5 centimeter minimum (which is just under 2 inches!) That sounds crazy. So I'm not sure I'm reading it right. I used Google's translate option but that didn't help me much as only part of the page was translated and not the stuff I wanted to know. Hopefully someone will speak english and respond to me from that company. If not I'll ask for Sabine to help. Don't bother your ex, Shel! I truly appreciate the offer though. It's just not that important, really.

If I calculated it right I'm with Gina... it's pricey. Gina, what did you figure it out to be? Am I getting the minimum and price wrong?

Ok, I just wanted something new and different that looked good for an antique looking bear for a new pattern I'm designing for a workshop. (That was an awkward sentance!) I thought this looked cool. If it's as expensive as I'm thinking I'll pass. But it looks neat. Maybe some day one of the US suppliers will get it??? (HINT, HINT!)

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I took German in college, and can read enough to get you into trouble. he he.
But if I understand it correctly the minimum cut is 5cm and there is no minimum order amount.
If you order 100cm that will be about 39" which is a little over a yard.
And if I converted correctly it would be about $112 a meter.
Hope this helps.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

And a meter is a little more than a yard, right?

Thanks, Jared!!! It's nice to have a clue now!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne !
I saw the same alpaca on the ebay
and wondering same thing !!!
Curly Alpaca is very interesting !  bear_laugh

I just visit the site "Probear" and
I don't think they ship to USA or
Japan..... bear_cry

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone,

That is beautiful mohair.

Does anyone know the shipping cost on that? Maybe we should order a lot order. LOL

Kassity  bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Marie,
Gaby, who has the fabric listed on eBay gave me two websites... both apparently for the same company... one is their German site (link I gave above) and the other which does have the option to read it in English (though it's not ALL in English) is www.probear.com where it seems they do ship to the US. Not sure about Japan.

At any rate, I'm waiting for a response to the email I sent to ProBear about shipping to the US, price of alpaca, etc. I'll let you know what I learn.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi guys,
    A metre is about 39 inches - slightly over a yard.  Yes, we can buy fat quarters in metric at our fabric stores.  It's funny - we grew up with the imperial system and things didn't change until after we were done school.  I still convert everything to imperial, in my head.  My kids are like, "how many inches are in a foot"!  LOL!

Hugs,

Brenda

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne, Thank you !!!   :hug:
I sent them e-mail too and hope
they can send it to Japan also.... bear_tongue   

I wish they have FAT QUARTERS ......

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website
Shelli wrote:

Is it FAT QUARTERS in that world, too, metric people???

Sure is!  and the bonus is, if you buy in metric you get a bigger fat quarter for your buck too!  Ok....only about 2 inches bigger, but still bigger!!

I grew up in a completely metric world - I'm ok with inches and feet but I will never ever understand fluid ounces, gallons etc

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

There was a small push from the scientific community when I was in grade school to convert the US to meteric. I say go for it! I like the meteric system better anyway. Easier to convert mm to cm to dm to M to km and so on. I always got mess up with mass and weight. I think in High School I finally go tmy head around that one. Mass doesn't change weight does. Wieght is affected by gravity.

1 meter = 39 inches
36 inches = 1 yard (like everyone doesn't know this one)
1 meter > 1 yard, but for simplicity 1 meter = 1 yard this only works for a short time. As there are more meters added then the extra 3 inches add up to much more fabric.

Just came across this site by goolging (is that a word) for conversions. they also have software that you can dowloand for $20 that will convert just about everything for the looks of it.
http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm

I think we had a Sadist for a Physics teacher in high school...
He had us convert meters/second squared to feet/fortnight squared.
Plus a ton of other conversions from metric to the english system.
You could have fun with it once you got it all figured out.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi! Logging in at work, shouldn't be doing that, but I saw Shelli's cry for help here. You seem to have figured out most of it between you though. The site says that you can buy in 5 cm increments, but price is for 1 cm. That means the price is 93 Euro for a meter, slightly more than a yard. The Euro has a higher exchange rate than the dollar so this may be about $100. I've never bought from them and I think they recently expandend their web shop, which I haven't come across before, although I knew about Probear as a business. They do ship worldwide according to their shopping guidelines, but you need to inquire about shipping costs.
In general I have seen the same price levels on mohair in Europe as in the US, which is why I don't buy it from abroad. Customs can be a bitch. Check US customs before you order to avoid bad surprises. I just checked that for sending a present to the US and it said (on our post website) that the US always charges a fee for any package regardless of if its a present or goods. Maybe, if you can get it sent as letter it slips through, don't know.
Jare, I wish the world would adopt the metric system. I'm so confuse by inches, ounces, feet, Fahrenheit etc. Metric is so much more straightforward, but then I am a scientist.

If anyone needs more German translations just ask or send me an email. Won't be home for another 8 or 9 hours though.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Ok guys and gals I have some information for you, straight from the horses mouth,
I know Hans at probaer, so I called him and I can tell you this,
the Schulte curly alpaca is the latest alpaca to be introduced and is only available in a 10mm length. The colours are on the website, and are the numbers 5470-5477.
It is sold from 15cm, then up by 5cm, so next would be 20cm, 25, 30cm and so on, the width is 140cm.
Jared has given you the conversion from yards to metric, you get more when buying in metric. Fat quaters work the same way, but your metric fat quater will be slightly bigger.
It sells for 93.00 euro a metre which is approx 112.00 US $.
They do ship worldwide, but he mentioned that shipping 5kilo will cost 35.00 euros, he suggests thou, if you placed a bigger order, perhaps you clubbed together with an order, then the shipping costs get reduced.
They accept all kinds of credit cards and of course Paypal.
They also have a straight alpaca, which is a 11mm pile, but he says because it is dense it give the appearance of a much longer looking pile, on the website it is colours 5487-5491.
The other way to go is to contact Edinburgh Import the official agent for Schulte and ask them t get it in for you, or even to ask Intercal if they can get it for you.
Hans said this is a fantastic fabric to work with.
Daphne, you can always email them with any requests, they do speak English and I am sure they will help you out.      http://www.probaer.de The main site gives you an English, French version for you to look at.
I hope that this has helped you out a bit,

bear_original  Lynette.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Lynette, you are a gem!
I did get an email from them this morning with a quote for what I wanted. $135.00 for 1 meter including shipping. Ouch! Well, it's reasonable, actually.
I've been in touch with Edinburgh they'll eventually get it and would order some for me but when I want something I want it NOW!  :redface:

Anybody else in the US want some of this curly alpaca???? I'll order it all and when it gets here ship it off to you how ever you'd like. It will cost us all less in shipping that way then to order individually from them. Just a thought. I'll place my order tomorrow (Friday Jan 29) at 12 noon eastern so PM me if you want any.... you can pay me with paypal.

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Thank you Jared and Lynette !!
I was able to place an order to Probear!!  yay. bear_smile

Daphne ! which one did you order ??
I can't wait to see your curly alpaca
bear !!!  bear_laugh
I bought 1/4mtr of 9mm pile
curly( Latinee ?) alpaca in dark brown.
I just sent yo PM. can you check it out ?  bear_tongue ...same as you...I really really wanted this curly alpaca..... :redface: he he

Sabine, thank you for checking out
this topic ! How lucky you that
you can understand German too!? bear_thumb   

Shelli, thank you for helping us out! Probear has English web-site too
but I found out that they have more mohair/alpaca selection in German pages..... bear_happy he he

Hugs/Marie

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

hah, I also ordered, just waiting for PayPal to set my limit a bit higher, see what you girls are getting me up too, as if I do not have enough mohair in the cupboard, but Daphne,thanks for sharing that picture, it does look stunning.
Marie, I will make one or two to take with me to Japan now in March. I have already made two with Japanese Alpaca that look very cute, they just need a few things finished off, ( something keeps me away from working on them- now I wonder what that could be?????) Marie have you tried the alpaca that is available in Japan? it is oh so soft.

bear_original Lynette

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Lynette !!! What ? wha ? wha? wawawawa What did you say ?  bear_rolleyes
You are coaming to Japan for Bear show ?   bear_original 
Is it the one in Ebisu. Tokyo ?? If so may I visit your table ?? Please !  bear_laugh  I'll make sure to visit
when you are available..... bear_tongue     
My bear teacher NR4YOU (Ms.Koga) is also attending to the show and I'm going to
see the show with my bear friend Takeko.  bear_grin yay !

have you tried the alpaca that is available in Japan?

Not yet....  bear_tongue  I can wait to see your alpaca bears !!!  bear_wub   bear_wub

For all Alpacars....
Please don't forgot to show-off your Alpaca bears at TT !  bear_laugh

Hugs/Marie

Board footer