Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Do you think the more the bear is age the better the look for the vintage style. I am new at making the vintage style bear. What is your thought on this.  bear_original

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Well i've only made a couple, and I have someone wanting to do a swap with me that wants more aging, apparently they weren't distressed enough  bear_laugh

Alberta
Website

I guess in this case the more distressed the better.   bear_noexpression

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Do you have an old bear at home?  How does it look.  Copy what you like.  The Encyclopedia of Teddy Bears or any book like that is another place to get an idea of how much aging you like.  I really think it is a matter of preference.  I like them to look like they came out of an attic, not out of the trash can. 

Joanne

Alberta
Website

I will see what I can find. I don't think I have May right yet. I keep looking at her and something seems to be missing for me.  Thanks Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It looks as if you chose a long-pile mohair for May. Since the vintage-look bear is usually a bit bald, I think the long fur might make it more difficult to achieve the illusion. Maybe something shorter?

Becky

Bloomsburg, PA

Are you a member of The Guild of Master Bear Crafters?  There was a very good long discussion by some very good distressers on how to do this.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

It's really up to the individual preferance of the artist how much distressing to do - and the individual bear as well,  and the "look" you are trying to achieve. That said, I often feel I've maybe gone a bit too far with the distressing and should have quit sooner! I like Joanne's attic - trash can reference!!! Looking at old teddies - either in the fur or pics - is a great place to start!

Alberta
Website

I am a member member of The Guild of Master Bear Crafters. I forgot to check there. Thanks Joanne. I will pop on over to have a read. Becky I guess the fur is long. I think she is going to need a make over. I guess over aging would give the trash can effect. I too Edie like Joanne's reference.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
desertmountainbear wrote:

I really think it is a matter of preference.  I like them to look like they came out of an attic, not out of the trash can.  Joanne

I agree with Joanne on this one.
I very much like a "vintage style" teddy, but in my opinion some artists take it much too far and the teddy ends up looking like a dog tore it to shreds.  bear_shocked
Of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I still like a teddy bear that looks like he can be hugged a thousand times, without falling apart.  bear_laugh

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Alberta
Website

Thanks Peter for your input. I have shorten the fur and have some bare spots and changed the necklace. I did a stitch in the front to get that slump look. I will add picture shortly. I did go over to read the post on Bear Crafters and added some of the details. I honestly like to know what others think. Thanks.

Alberta
Website

May-new-look.jpgAged-teddy.jpgHer is the new May. Changes made were trim back the long fur and added a simple dress out of a vintage hanky. Here are the before and after picture.

Bloomsburg, PA

Linda, she is beautiful.  You have hit the nail on the head.  I love the fur trimmed and her dress is perfect.  You should continue on this path I think.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Oh, wow! I really like the changes you made!

She was pretty before, but with less fur and a pretty dress, she gained a lot of vintage sweetness. bear_wub

Becky

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Aww, love her, great job

Alberta
Website

Thank you. bear_original  I like her much better now. I want to try some boy ones in an other color and will post one when I have one done. I think the fur was the big problem now that I look at the before and after.

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Great job, Lynn! She definitely looks more vintage in the after pic! She's adorable!

Alberta
Website

Thanks Edie. I have to laugh as I was trimming the fur my mom kept saying poor thing. I kept telling her there was a look I was looking for and I had to do it!

Board footer