Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

When I was a child my mother gave to me a special toy from HER childhood. It was a man made out of wood with jointed arms and legs, he was on a stick and when you held him over a long wooden paddle and tapped that paddle you made him dance. She told me when she gave it to me that it was very old and irreplaceable. I LOVED that toy! It was a very special treasure! One day I VERY accidentally broke it and made my mom cry. You have no idea how awful I felt!!! I'd never made my mom that upset and I carried that guilt around for a long time.

Well, apparently that guilt has resurfaced as I've recently found myself on a mission to find a vintage "Limberjack". Yup, that's what they are called and here's a photo of a more modern day one but it'll give you an idea:

PH-12-sm.jpg

I've spent most of today surfing the internet, emailing some antique shops that specialize in vintage toys and vintage musical instruments as that is what this is also considered. They are made today with a much more square, modern look to them (like the photo above). Mom's was a smooth dark wood, his limbs were round if I recall correctly. There were no facial features.

So, why in the world should you care about all this? Well, I'm hoping that someone out there may know where I might find a vintage Limberjack. I've also seen them called Dancing Dans but are more popularly know as Limberjacks. I've read that they originated in Ireland and also in West Virginia, USA. So I'm not too sure....

It would mean so much to be able to find mom one. If you can help in anyway I'd be so thankful!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Daphne,
     I bought my daughter a horse like that, when she was about 8.  The legs moved like it was trotting instead of a man dancing.  I still have it and display it in her room.  I haven't seen one in ages.  Good luck!

Hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Hmmmm give me a few days I think my Dad has one up in the roof I seem to vaguely recall seeing one.  I can't promise you anything but I will ask him.

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Daph, goodluck in teh search.  What a good daughter you are!

Danni

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

I do not know how it can be called in French, but I will search for you every time I have the opportunity :).

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

Daphne
http://www.songsea.com/miscperc.htm do new limberjacks from pine
this company have a pair but they are expensive http://www.folkartisans.com
I see that in the past they have been listed under vintage musical instruments too
I bet I have been no help what so ever - I do hope you find one for your mother - I once looked for an original cupie doll for my  mum
Hope you find one  :hug:  :hug:
Anne

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

I'm probably useless in the help department on this one, Daphne. But I send my best wishes for you on finding one for your mom.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Brenda, Danni & Sandi.... Thank you for your good luck wishes!!

Bronwen... I don't mean to be searching through your roof! I'd image old toys like this to be special to their owners. Being the sentimental fool I am, it would be to me anyway! Thank you so much for checking with your Dad. You are so sweet!

Marion... Thank you for keeping an eye out. Wish I could help with the French name!

Anne.... I saw those websites too and that vintage pair kind of scared me!! Ha! The other has some really neat percussion instruments. I'm holding out to find one with the look of the vintage ones. Thank you so much for taking the time to look!

You all are super!!!
Thank you!!!  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:
Daphne

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Daphne, was there a sentimental attachment to THAT particular lumberjack that your mother had?

The reason I ask is that my mother broke a cranberry lamp shade, that had been in the family for generations.  She suffered over it for years.  Finally I walked into an antique shop one day and there it was...the EXACT same shade.
I paid a bloody fortune for it and shipped it out to her as a surprize.
She as happy with it and very thankful I bought it ... but somewhat sorry that I had spent the money.  Years went by and I never saw the lamp and the new shade brought together and displayed.  After her death, I found the lamp base and the shade wrapped in paper, in a box....under her bed.
I then understood why she was felt bad that I had spent the money...because it never took the place of the one that made the trip to America from past generations.

That was my experience anyway, trying to replace an item that meant so very much to her...it was just irreplacable.

I do frequent A LOT of antique shops here in Atlanta and I have a great many friends who are dealers ( I had 2 shops of my own, one time)....so I will put the word out.  You find different antiques in different parts of the country and what might be really expensive in Wisconsin, is cheap in Illinois...you just never know.

Anyway I will do what I can.

:hug:
Nancy

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Hey, Daph

I didn't think of it earlier, but there is a huge antique shop/flea market just a couple miles from me. I haven't been there in a long time so I think maybe tomorrow I'll go there and browse around. The things in the shop change so much, you never know what you'll find. Maybe I'll find myself a new treasure while keeping an eye out for your treasure!  bear_wub

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Daphne I sure can relate to the sentiments of an old toy.  I have frantically searched for a knitted Monty Mouse made by my late Grandmother.  I know it is around but for the life of me I can't find it.

I have never seen a Limberjack but I will certainly keep my eyes peeled for one.  What a nice thing to do for your mom. :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Nancy, to my knowledge there was no special story behind the toy... but I was so young that I may just not remember. I did think about that before starting this search. I'd ask her but that would ruin what I hope will be a surprise when I do find one. Perhaps my dad will know.... he's not good at keeping secrets though!

Sandi, thank you!!! Have fun!!

Judi,
hope you find Monty Mouse!

Board footer