Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

Hello,

I'm about to start making my first ever Teddy Bear.  I have bought some faux cashmere for the paw pads, but I also have some real suede left over from a past project and I'm wondering if I could use that instead.  It's the perfect colour and very soft and thin, like chamois skin.  The bear I'm making is 'Sunny' (by Bear Basics) and he has lovely sculpted paws, would it be possible to do this with real suede?  I know might be trying to run before I can walk with this, but that's typical of me!  Your advice and suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Frances

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi FrancesAnne,  I always use leather on paw pads.  I usually use lamb skin, but I have used suede too.  Suede is not quite as strong as leather.  My leather guy tells me it is the top grain that gives it the strength.  So I would try putting a needle and thread through it and make sure it is strong enough to withstand some pulling.  I think it will be just fine.

Joanne

FrancesAnne Isle of Wight

Thanks for such a quick reply Joanne.  That's a good point about the strength of the suede, perhaps it would help if I used a light interface under it.  I'll experiment with some scrap pieces first.  I absolutely LOVE your black bear cub, Alpine - really beautiful, just so-oooo realistic!!

Frances

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I always use suede, well I almost always use suede lol. It's fine for sculpting toes as long as it's tightly stuffed behind it to sculpt it shouldn't give in. I've never had suede fail under the sculpting. Best of luck!

Board footer