Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone, 

I have tried to post tonight to catch up with all the new/past posts. But, I have very bad needed holed fingers.  bear_grin  So, I decided to save some time and pain  "grin"   
and post all in one.  bear_original   

First let me ask. Does anyone use a thimble? Or anything else for finger protection? 
I have tried a few different things. My husband is a hatter, so he keeps giving me different finger protection stuff to try. But they just get in my way.
All suggestions are Welome.    bear_original  :hug:

Welcome .... to all the new people that have joined.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: You will really like it here. Great people here! 

To the new bears. Wow!!!!!! I better get working harder.  bear_grin They are great! All of them.  bear_original Ok...I do have some favorites,  bear_whistle  but I truly like them all.   

To the girls who answered my posts; 
Thank you all for your help and laughs.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: You are all great!!!! 

Thank you girls at the sale at GP Emporium chatroom!!!!!! I had a lot of fun!!!! bear_original   
You are all really great!!!! Thank you to the girl/girls who helped but that on. I look forward the next one. Congratulations to Judi and all who sold bears.   :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:   

Ok, thats all for now  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original   

Big Hugs 

Kassity

Deb Upstate New York

do we get workers comp????

Nope, not in a sole proprietorship.  Sorry.  bear_grin

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Kassity - I went right in one side of my fingertip and out the other last night.... bled like crazy and made me mad. But I have to say that's the first time I've really impaled myself in 8 months of needle felting! I poke with a rythem and pay close attention to keeping those fingers out of the way. You will build callouses!!! Keep your work on the foam as much as possible. It's when I'm holding a piece in the air to poke a little edge down or something that I end up getting myself.

It's fun having you here!!!

Thanks for your post!

:hug: Daphne

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Thimble-it2.jpgI use a product called "Thimble it".  It is a package of ovals made of thin, tough plastic.  The idea is to put the ovals on the end of the finger you use (like a band-aid) to protect it.  I cut them in half as I find them too big, but they are great.  I hate thimbles and can't use one but these are wonderful.  I buy them at Michaels and you get two sheets in a package for about $5.00.  I used the same package for ages.  You might find it's just what you need.

Hugs,

Brenda

Oregon

Hi everyone,   

Lisa.....crack me up..... bear_grin     

pliers slipped and smacked me straight between the eyes!

Besides the funny part...OOOOO) ouch!!!! poor you!  bear_sad   

I just started with the joints and I kinda saw that coming. LOL My husband walked in my teddy room while I was holding the bear at arms length  pulling on the pliers and said, "what's wrong'? I looked at him and said....."he's fighting back"  He just looked at me for a few seconds and rolled his eyes and walked out.     bear_grin

Erin... I know what you mean!  I have so many cuts on my hands you would think I got into a really bad cat fight.  bear_grin   
"callouses" I have those too, but it doesn't seem to help. I get them from the woodwork I do.

felting needle monsters.

too funny!

Deb....isn't that the truth......  bear_grin 

I went right in one side of my fingertip and out the other last night.... bled like crazy

Daphne OUCH!!!!!!!!!!! I have driven my needle up my nails from time to time, but have not yet done that. "Cross my fingers that I don't." 

It's fun having you here!!!

Thank you Daphne!  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: You are sweet for saying that.  bear_original I am working on a mink fur bear right now and you all know how hard you have to push that needle threw. I like mine really sharp, so one little slip and ouch! 

I have gotten some other strange injuries

Lisa... I know what you mean. I tend to be a "full body contact bear maker"  bear_grin 
And I have gotten a few strange injuries myself.  bear_grin

Brenda....you angel!!!!! WOW!!!! I am going to try those. Thank you girl!!!!  :hug: 
I am heading for Michaels. 

Now, what are we going to do about the rest of other strange injuries? Hey Lisa?  bear_grin 

You are all so great...thanks so much....  :hug:  bear_original 

Big Bear Hugs

Kassity

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hope you can find them, Kassity - let me know how you like them.

Hugs,

Brenda

Dilu Posts: 8,574

I sometimes use bandaids- but for the most part i just let the calluses build up.  I figure calluses are God's way of protecting my fingers and nothing gets loose or in the way.....I sometimes use those rubber finger things that secretaries use, when i am needle-felting, but even then they can get in the way.....

good luck honey.....

Oregon

Hi Brenda 

Thanks hon... I will. I looked today but, not luck at Michaels. They said they can get them in, so it should not take too long. Thanks again Brenda.  :hug: 

Hey Dilu,

That is a really a good idea!!!! I will try that. My husband typed my fingers today.  bear_grin  bear_grin I just cracked up. He said he could not take the...."OUCH!!!!!..... "OH S**T" < "I mean shoot!" and more "OUCH"!!!!  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin 

I drove the back of the needle in my finger today. I know .... I know!!!! Silly me.  :hug: 

Anyway, thanks you guys.... big hugs to all of you.  :hug:  :hug:

Kassity

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I use leather finger gaurds or thimbles.  The ones that have a metal disc in them.  You can just cut the finger off a glove and stick a dime between the glove and your finger.  It also helps when you wrap the thread around it and pull.  No more cuts from thread slicing your flesh open.  I used to have calluses and boy would it hurt when the eye of the needle would go through the callus.
Do be careful, I know one gal that a needle went through her breast. 
Donna

Oregon

Hey Donna,

needle went through her breast

OUCH!!!!!  bear_sad

I have had that thought a couple of times pulling on my long needles. I do tend to be a full body contact bear maker and it has crossed my mind.

My husband is really a great inventer when it comes to stuff he needs. So he is going to try and come up with something to help. He made me a stand for my bear heads so I can work on them without having to hold them. It is great! I love it!

Thank you Donna I will be careful.  bear_original  :hug:

Big Hugs
Kassity

Board footer