Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I guess I have to break the silence and admit that I join Shelly as one who entered with great hopes. I sat on pins and needles yesterday as news started trickling in that the phone calls were being made. My heart was heavy as I slowly realized that of my 3 entries, none were selected. Then I read Shelli's inspirational message and it reminded me of something she said last year. When Chauncy won, I remember she expressed feeling so sad  for the artists who did not win.  I wrote to her at that time and told her to enjoy her time in the spotlight, that it was well deserved. EVERYONE who entered was a winner no matter what! As I remembered, it also inspired me to look at myself. My entries did NOT SUCK.  I already knew that. And as I see photos of the other entries, I can just imagine how hard it must have been to make the choices. It inspires me to try to push myself to the limits again next year. The entries chosen this year are phenominal and I don't look forward to having to make a choice. Everyone chosen deserves a HIP HIP HOORAY! And those who weren't deserve a HIP HIP HOORAY also.

Sonya

**** plus keeping my fingers crossed for the TOBY's****

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think we should build an "Artist's Lounge."  It will be a room with heavily textured, troweled walls, washed in white, over rustic, warm tones.  The lighting will be soft and dim, and will be provided by hand-blown glass fixtures in the most amazingly beautiful colors, suspended low from the ceiling.  Salvaged beams from buildings of old will be hung overhead, and used as columns and supports, for a feeling of intimacy.  The tables will be low and made of old, dark, smoothed-by-age, wood... and the furniture, oversized, detailed with scrolls at the arms, and amply cushioned in down, with coverings of burgundy and deep warm green velvet, and soft knit throws flung over every seat back.  Of course, there will be elaborately pieced, gloriously soft throw pillows everywhere on that furniture.

Little seating areas will be created by half-walls, and curtains and salvaged windows strategically hung, to divide spaces.  But the overall feeling will be one of cohesiveness.  The thermostat will be set to slightly above comfortable, encouraging people to take off their coats and stay a while.  And the floors will be old, old, old, matte, knotty wood.  Of course, there will be an enormous bookshelf filled with every single craft related book ever published.

There will be a long, circular bar crafted from rich, thick, handcarved wood, of course, in the far corner; the bartender there will serve steaming espresso drinks and coffee, and tea of every imaginable variety in little, beautiful, vintage, one of a kind, individual pots with not-matching cups and saucers -- too charming and quaint!  A pastry case full of exquisite chocolatey confections and biscuits will sit atop one end, just waiting to have its offerings plucked and consumed.

My thinking is that, from now on, every year, when the contest nominees are announced, we all congregate at the warm, welcoming "Artist's Lounge."  As we await word, and one by one the names of the nominees trickle in, we can celebrate those nominated with joy and togetherness!  And, for those present but not lucky this time around, there are chocolatey pastries, and friends, and warm, milky drinks, to make it all better.  There is, of course, Kleenex on every table.  And I'm sure SOMEONE will be clever enough to remember to bring "the hard stuff" tucked into a purse or pocketbook, just in case a particular person's coffee needs that extra little "kick" to help the news go down more smoothly.

I think I will get Kjeld, the owner of Intercal, on this RIGHT AWAY.  I'm sure he's got about 50K of pocket money lying around, just waiting to be put to such use.  (KIDDING, of course!!!)

The happy thing is, we have our own virtual artist's lounge here already.  What a great bunch of gals you are.  Sonya, you included. 

I still think someone should build the REAL one, though.  Doesn't it sound like a great opportunity to decorate?

Laughing here...

bear_original

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Save me a place at that bar!! How does chocolate go with bloody mary's?? hee hee
You have me chuckling here Shelli!
Sonya

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Oh, I forgot!  We should have a wall of teddy bears!  Every artist can contribute one, and there will be a little plaque with thier vital statistics placed in front of every critter.  Of course, it will all be behind glass, because drunken, milky-beverage-intoxicated, weeping, celebratory bear artists -- sensitive, silly types, every one -- will probably spill their drinks on those gorgeous bears, or get chocolate fingerprints on them as they fondle and molest them in their emotional haze, whatever emotion it may be!, on "nomination announcement day."

How cool would THAT be?  A coffee bar with a wall of craft books and magazines, and a wall of one of a kind artist bears! 

I need to get me some venture capital and start that thing right up.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Oh Shelli, it sounds like a beautiful, soft , loving place.  Save me a seat too so I can celebrate the nominees and cry with the others.  Gee, you should be a writer. I can picture the lounge perfectly.  It will be my new "happy place" when I need to escape life  bear_grin

Sonya and Shelli , you are both such wonderful examples of the way we should all strive to be.  Hugs to both of you wonderful women !

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

I'm on a roll!!!

bear_tongue

Even better... we should have a vintage vending machine in the corner, which dispenses little, tiny bottles of liquor, like the ones on airplanes!, and single tabs of Wellbutrin, Paxil, or Prozac -- you pick! -- for 50 cents a pop. 

Cracking up...

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Could the bartender be topless - like a shirtless poolboy?

Just wondering. Sounds like a great place to visit tho.

Marion

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

LMAO!! Bring on the pool boy! Of course he MUST dance too! on top of the bar preferably!
Now Shelli, I am NOT going there (about molesting the bears) LOL.. seriously I know what you meant! LOLOLOL
Sonya

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

From the bottom of my and Garnet's hearts......, we wish from our heart of hearts that all entries had received a nomination. We feel so humbled to be in the company of all of you. To have an entry in the same category as Judi and Sue Ann is overwhelming to both Garnet and I. We certainly will enjoy this moment as we both think the judges must have been on a huge bender the night before judging to have not included all of those beautiful entries. They were outstanding. We adore each and every one of you and to those who entered without a nomination, your entries far exceed the title of winning entries. We have no explanation for what happend to us yesterday.

All of our love Garnet and Louise

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

The "Artists Lounge" was a marvelous vision until Marion mentioned a topless poolboy.  I have a poolboy.....the thought of him topless.....uh, NO!  Cripes!  I nearly spit my coffee all over the desk.    bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_tongue

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

HAHAHAHAHA

Well, I hope you don't let the vision of a less-than-studly, half-naked poolboy spoil the lounge for you, Aleta.  We'll have to send Marion and Sonya to the lounge's "backroom", lit with black lights, and where neon fuzzy posters are hung; you know, the back room which you get to, by passing thru a doorway hung with really tacky beads... ???

bear_original bear_original bear_original

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Awww Louise, thanks so much, but please indulge! enjoy! I have an explanation of what happened. The judges are the best in the world and they all have their reasoning... We know we are all winners... when they say it is better to have loved and lost, than to never have loved at all.. I think it applies here. As we continually challenge ourselves to create new and exciting designs, we also create an atmosphere that is somewhat self serving in that by making that same exciting design that makes the collector fall in love with that bear, it also helps our business of creating bears. I now that my collectors look forward to seeing each new design I come up with. I know when I was nominated in 2004 for the Golden Teddy and the TOBY, I really felt like I didn't have a chance in the world. And I DIDN'T win the Golden Teddy. And really KNEW I didn't have a chance at the TOBY.   But let me tell you, no one was more surprized than me when my bear was announced as the winner. No one knew who I was... how did they pick my bear?  Those were my thoughts. I have come a long way since then. I realise now that my bear had MERIT. He was very deserving to win. Never again will I feel like "how did they pick me?"" remember that your bear was a labor of love and hard work and you felt there was something there that may be deserving of winning or you wouldn't have entered. The judges agree with you. We all do! Enjoy that feeling and keep your fingers crossed. You just never know what is going to happen.
Sonya

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

LMBO Shelli! I was thinking a really young studly pool boy!
Sonya

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Sonya and Marion,
If you're going to lead the imagination astray.....please give a more detailed description!!   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Morning everyone,   

I just loved reading this one the morning! Dreams, tears, smiles and laughs!   
What a great bush you all are.  :hug:   

I think you all winners!  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb   

I have a thought? Ok...no laughing!  bear_grin   

Why don't we have our own TTA; Teddy Talk Awards or what ever name?   
Once the teddy bears are selected by the advisers for example, all the members can vote on the selected bears.

Just a thought!

You all have a great day!

Big Bear Hugs
Kassity

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Ya, know just remember also that if there had been different judges, the outcome may have been quite different.  Judges are going to lean to thier own personal taste.

What I think would be great for these contests is to do like the Golden George Awards.  Once you win an award in a certain category you move to a higher level of competition designed for people who have won.  I am not talking about getting nominated but those who acutally get the award.  This way more people would have the joy of becoming nominated and have a chance at winning.  Make sense?

I like very much the idea of an Artist's lounge.  Sounds cozy and safe :hug:

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I want that lounge at my house!!  It takes courage to enter these contests, my friends, and all of you who entered are heroes and heroines.  Yes, Judi got it right . . . judging anything has to be the most subjective activity ever, so if the judges had been different, the nominations probably would have, too.  All of you rock!

Brockville, Ontario
Shelli wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA

Well, I hope you don't let the vision of a less-than-studly, half-naked poolboy spoil the lounge for you, Aleta.  We'll have to send Marion and Sonya to the lounge's "backroom", lit with black lights, and where neon fuzzy posters are hung; you know, the back room which you get to, by passing thru a doorway hung with really tacky beads... ???

bear_original bear_original bear_original

Shelli.....I actually had a room like that 35 years ago during my hippy period. We painted a small room black, installed the black lights and lots of posters and I seem to remember the beaded doorway. Thank goodness most people grow up.

Marion

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Judi that makes perfect sense ...... Shelli like you I feel that we have a wonderful lounge here .... I think that everyone on here is a wonderful giving person .... I for one am so pleased that I have found it ...... I feel for all those that entered and didn't get nominated.. but they are everybit a winner for entering ..... Well done ALL of you... you are all inspirational  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Brockville, Ontario

If you want a more detailed description here goes:

OK....about 25ish, washboard abs, blond maybe with longish hair and at least 6 ft tall.
OMG....I just described my youngest son.

OK, I better re-think this. How about some like Viggo Mortenstein in his LOTR persona. I just drooled over him.

Marion

ScottBear scott's bears

gabe-kapler-006.jpgMay I suggest this li'l number LOL LOL bear_whistle

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I vote for George as our bartender.
Donna

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

May I suggest this li'l number LOL LOL

Oh my, Who is that  bear_wub   bear_whistle  LOL

Hugs
Vicki

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

mmmmmmmmmmmm

Deb Upstate New York
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

I have a poolboy.....the thought of him topless.....uh, NO!  Cripes!  I nearly spit my coffee all over the desk.    bear_shocked  bear_shocked  :P

This can be fixed Aleta.  Sounds like you just need to interview new poolboys.  I've arranged to send them over in this order:  Juan, Raul, Sergio, Carlos, Antonio.

Board footer