Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Wonderful Creations Sonya ..... they are just amazing ..thanks for sharing the pics

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

Sonya, they are great bears! I especially love the Bagpipe playing bear; surprised they didn't place.  Maybe we should look into the judging - are they like the figure-skating judges from the Olympics?
bear_grin
Oh, I don't have a pool anymore but Scott can come clear my hottub anytime!
and he can bring his bear along too.

Marion

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sonya your bears are truly wonderful - I love them both.
The attention to detail is remarkable.

bear_wub

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Sonya, your bears are absolutely wonderful.

I love the white star under Libearty's right eye--what mind boggling creativity.

As for Macbeth . . . I've got a thang for Scots. He's a hunk-and-a-half.

Where did you get that sporrin and those bagpipes? If you say that you made them, I swear I'll throw myself into traffic. Fantastic.

Eileen

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Eileen, STOP!! Look out for that truck!
No, I purchased them from a lady that had them for her sons when they were toddlers. Actually I purchased 2 outfits, one I still have. The bagpipes came with them. They are practice pipes for beginners. The jacket was a vintage toddlers suit jacket that I re-made to have a pointed hem in the front and waist length in the back.

Libearty actually has white ultra suede stars sprinkled thruout the blue mohair, but they are hard to see in the photo.

PS.. MacBeth is the typical manly Scotsman. he is ah-la-natural under that kilt!

Sonya

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Thanks for posting the pics Sonya...what wonderful creativity!!! 68 pieces??? That's insane! No wonder you fit in so well here at TT!!

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_cool  Practice pipes, eh? In that case I'll cross at the lights!

I've thought of trying a Macbeth bear, but all I can see is the post-three-weird-sisters Macbeth. I like him better your way!!

Ooh. What a thought--The Three Weird Sisters Bears!

Eileen

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

VERY nice bears, Sonya - wonderful!

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

Hi, I am completely new to this chat board so forgive me if I don't respond, because once I click out of this area I most likely  will never find it again. I wanted to say that I had entered for both the Toby and Golden Teddy for the last 3 years , I was doing OK on ebay but wanted to try for an award ( and my only goal was to get nominated) and was crushed each time I didn't get "the call " Last year my 2nd time at entering I really started to wonder why I made bears and other creatures , I compared my work to others and got really down on myself, I got jealous of some really wonderful artists and avoided talking to them, finally I wrote Shelli and confessed to her about what a big failure I was feeling and I was kind of jealous of her success, even though it was deserved. I let my inner fur demons color a relationship with an artist I admire and a friend I valued and I apologized to her, Shelli was an angel and completely understood and gave me a pep talk. I stopped making creatures for a while and did some soul searching, I asked myself, why I make bears and my mice.  I realized finally it's because I Love it and I would make these creatures if I never sold another one, I am part of a creative, mostly female, wonderful supportive group. I realized that if I never won an award, being part of that group of women and getting to do something I love, is reward enough.  I see way too many extremely wonderful pieces not get chosen. One of the bears I made last year and entered , did not get picked and I put it in a place I never really see, and one day I was cleaning out some clutter and came across it and I looked at it long and hard, I really liked it, it made me smile and it made my little boy smile and that was wonderful, it is now sitting in a place that I see every day and it still makes me smile, so I decided that was enough.  Now this is the real ironic part, I told my husband I was not going to enter this year and he talked me into entering at least one contest and my TBR magazine came first , so I entered it, I told him that if I didn't get nominated I would not be down and I was really OK.  Well My little set of mice called "First Date" got nominated,  I actually cried when I hung up the phone I was so honored.  But a little saddened because I knew some where some other talented wonderful Bear Artist was now doubting herself , the way I had. I really have come to believe that every person that creates something from nothing and can bring so much enjoyment to others, are all true winners.  I have seen some of the work that is in my group and I must say I am beyond honored to be in their group.  If you as an artist didn't get nominated this year or last, don't feel down, celebrate the joy of bearmaking, your time will come.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Jodi, that's a really heartfelt, touching story and, I think for a lot of bearmakers -- or anyone who competes, actually, in any area -- one that resonates pretty deeply.  Thanks for sharing something so personal and important as your very first post here; just goes to show you as the wonderful person of heart I already know you to be.  Meaning, you'll fit right in here!  My recommendation would be for you to polish up on your chocolate devouring and your wine tasting skills, plus any craft skill subset you've kept secret and hidden such as scrapbooking/knitting/crochet/hatmaking... as well as any co-dependent tendencies you might have been working to squash.  They'll all come in handy here.

I'm flattered you called me an angel.  That is so opposite what my hubby usually calls me.  Hmmm...  <grins>

But this year, please remember... I hate YOU!  And I know you know I'm absolutely NOT serious about that... !

:)

By the way... I just introduced you to the forum, on your behalf!, in the NEW MEMBERS section, after seeing your pic, like, five minutes ago in the photo section, and having no idea we're online at the same time.  What is it, like, the wee hours where you are?  Please note you're important to me so I used huge CAPITAL letters!!!  I'm so glad you're here!

Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy... and welcome!

PS  Why are we online at this hour on a Friday night?

Jodi Moisan Storytime Bears

We're on line because
A. We must not have a bear in the works. bear_whistle
B. We can actually complete a thought without a child/husband/or dog interrupting us. bear_angry
C. We don't have to compete for computer time bear_thumb
D. Our husband snores bear_wacko
E. The chocolate monster in our head woke us up. :doh:
F. We are addicted to computer poker and we are waiting on a good hand  bear_rolleyes
G. The tylenol PM hasn't kicked in yet bear_tongue
Thanks again for all the kind words , you are such a doll! bear_thumb
Have a great weekend
Jodi
PS The tylenol PM has now kicked in bear_happy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Since we're talking about the contests still... and the GOLDEN TEDDY specifically... I thought I'd share some information passed on to me by Laura Janssen, who runs both the GOLDEN TEDDY contest and the DOLLS AWARD OF EXCELLENCE contests for Jones Publishing.

She and I shared a few letters during the last week or so and have spoken via email on earlier occasions, and she's given me her permission to post this information here at TEDDY TALK, and to specifically quote her.  In one of my notes to Laura, I mentioned that there's a lot of mystery that surrounds the contests... and many bear artists would like to see the process "de-mystified" a bit, to better understand how to prepare and evaluate their entry pieces.  I also mentioned that there seems to be a lot of interest in finding ways to have our work critiqued, whether as a contest entry or simply as a for-a-fee service.  I'm quoting her mostly verbatim, below, in her responses to these queries.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Regarding nominations (or not!), Laura wrote:

No nomination does not mean your work is not wonderful. Honestly, we get very few submissions that aren't fantastic. Every year, the judges tell me how hard it is to pick their favorites because so many artists have so many different styles, techniques and approaches to the subject matter. I've talked to artists who finally get nominated after many years of trying. The only other obvious thing I can say about the contest is that if you don't enter, I can guarantee you won't get nominated. So, you ... just have to keep trying. But, please don't let it get to you too much if this year's mix of judges did not select your pieces. Next year, just might be your year...

Offering some insight into the framework and foundation of contest itself, Laura wrote:

Our goal is to organize an ethical contest. And the best way to do that is to be very open and honest with everyone about how the contest is run. One important point to note is that we, the magazine staff intentionally are not directly involved with selecting the nominees or the winners. The reason we do that is so that all participants can be assured that the results are in no way connected to any advertising or editorial arrangements that individuals or companies may have with Jones Publishing. We see our role as more of an organizational one. We coordinate the processing of the entries, arranging qualified judges with a variety of specialties and interests, and we promote the contest in the magazine. We feel the readers are best qualified to select the winners.

I was particularly delighted when Laura shared the following; it's the first time I've read this information anywhere, and it provided me with a lot of insight into the nominating process for the GT:

All judges are asked to score the entries from 1 to 100 based on overall aesthetic appeal, excellence in concept, design, and execution, and quality of material and workmanship. Of course, since each person has a different sense of aesthetics, judging this contest inevitably must be somewhat subjective. As the contest organizers, we feel that we can achieve our goal of maintaining fairness to all involved by having five separate judges so that the resulting scores will inevitably average out some of these personal aesthetic preferences. I will tell you one thing that truly affects the nominations year in and year out...quality of photography. We hate to see a great bear hiding in a poorly lit, unfocused photo.

When I mentioned to Laura that people would love feedback on their entries, so they could ascertain what "worked" in a given year, for a given piece... and what didn't... Laura replied:

... With regards to your question about receiving feedback from the judges, unfortunately it just isn't logistically possible given the current structure of this contest. As you mentioned, we receive hundreds of entries that need to be scored on Friday afternoon and tabulated overnight for our Saturday morning announcement of the nominees. This is quite a feat, and our wonderful judges usually spend many hours pouring over all the submissions and giving their best opinions. We have had some contests in other formats where participants receive written feedback. Usually, these involve either smaller numbers of entrants or a more flexible scoring timetable. Maybe it's time we offer something like this as a separate contest for teddy bear artists?

I'd be very interested in knowing what artists are looking for with regard to formal feedback on their creations. Who would they like this information to come from? What kind of information would be most helpful? I'm not exactly sure what the end result of this conversation would be, but it's certainly worth pursuing.

Last, in case you haven't figured out yet that this is one straight-shooting, kind-hearted, integrity-filled lady, I just wanted to share her feelings about the announcement process itself which were particularly sensitive and sweet:

One of the best parts of my job is telling artists that they have been nominated, but at the same time, one of the worst is telling wonderful artists that the judging committee did not select their creations as nominees.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So... now we know WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYY more than nothing about the inner workings of a formerly very shrouded-in-mystery competition.  Doesn't it feel good to be in-the-know? 

Thanks to Laura both for sharing this information, and for allowing me to make it publicly available to our earnest and interested readers here at TEDDY TALK.

:hug:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Jodi... actually, I was waiting for hubby to return from a midnight run to Safeway for KETTLE CHIPS.  My favorite flavor?  Cheddar Beer.  I am absolutely awful.  Atkins, Schmatkins.  I want chips!!!

Nitey nite!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Dilu wrote:

Sunnie and Shelli and all the rest who didn't get chosen THIS YEAR I applaud you!  It is your generous spirit and happiness for the other beary friends who were chosen that makes you GIANTS in the real world, you know, the one were Teddies share wisdom and keep secrets and gollies get in to mischief!

ABSOLUTELY!  AMEN !!!!!

Beautiful bear Sonya.  What a lot of work you put into them.  Did you enter these into the TOBYS too?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Shelli, thank you so much for taking the and  posting this info.  I always wondered how and when they judged.  It is very nice to know that the judges have no inside knowledge of any of the artists. bear_thumb  My fingers are crossed for everyone entering into the TOBYS.

As far as chips go.  I think they are the devil' spawn...the best tasting, most addictive junk food and by far one of the worst things (not food) you can put into your body.  I have to steer absolutely clear of chips due to my diabetes...if I eat just one...there goes the whole dang bag!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

What a wonderful story Jodi...and yes, we all love Shelli...and secretly hate her at the same time.   bear_grin  Not really Shelli!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Awesome story Jodi.  You work is astounding and aways a winner in my book.  Congratulations on your nomination. :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Oh my gosh, Jodi - when I read your post, it could have b een me talking!  I have been making bears for almost 10 years and I entered boty Toby's and Golden's for literally years.  I was sooooo frustrated AND upset when I would see a lot of the same artists get nominated again and again.  I finally quit entering and wouldn't even look at the entries when they were selected.  Frustrated was not the word - I was like you - felt my work must be flawed and was convinced I could never make a piece that would be worthy of an award!  Last year, when I had finished my Bunny and Cart, it was my hubby that asked if I could enter a piece that was "non-bear".  I hadn't even thought about it.  He also suggested getting it photographed at his store studio (yay for him!) and the rest was history.  I was so stunned when they phoned to say I was nominated that I must have sounded like an idiot.  I literally couldn't think of anything to say - I almost hung up on the lady that phoned as I wanted to phone my husband right away.  It was a wonderful experience to be nominated.  This year, when I wasn't picked, I honestly didn't feel badly at all.  I had had my 15 minutes of fame, so to speak.  I also know in my heart that my pictures weren't as good etc.  However, I am now soooooooo motivated for next year, it isn't funny.  I know exactly what I am going to do.  So, Jodi and Shelli, that's what makes Teddy talk so special - to find out there are fabulous artists out there, feeling exactly the same way that I do and to be able to share with them.  You have both made me feel MUCH better!  Take care and bye for now.

Hugs,

Brenda

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Jodi...I just want to say thank you for your post...because these little creatures that all we make are part of our souls ..and who we are...and when we say 'Oh no...I am not bothered about not getting nominated'..well of course we are bothered...because we tried hard and didn't get picked...and that's always hard. It does affect us emotionally when our creativity is rejected...and though it isn't actual rejection...it feels like it.

But like the 'Little Train that could..' you just have to know you can...and you did...and that's fantastic.

I appreciate and admire your honesty and although I don't know you, I think that your kind of sensitivity is a rare quality....

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Very interesting info from Laura, Shelli thank you for posting it!  You should talk to her about writing a little article on that subject for TBR... I think people would love to read a special 'Behind the Scenes at the Golden Teddy Awards!' article that, as you said, de-mystifies the judging process.

While I think that there are already quite a few contests out there, and I don't think another half dozen really need to exist... but I really would love to see a contest where we could enter and receive actual feedback on our work.  How about an Excellence in Design award?  Or I'd also love to see an award where the bears were judged IN PERSON.  It seems to me that the judging in such a case would be best done at a major bear show, though it would be nice if people not attending the show could ship their bears in for the process.  It would also seem to me that for the extra effort involved, the entry fee would wind up higher (though on the plus side, that would also narrow down the field of competitors).  The prestige of winning an award where the judges were actually allowed to poke and prod at all of the entrants, twisting the limbs and picking at the eyes and studying the seams... people that won something like that would be known as REALLY meticulous artists.  I love the integrity and quality of both the TOBY and Golden Teddy awards, but let's face it... part of how well you do really is on whether you could submit a good photo or not, and that really doesn't have anything to do with how gorgeous your bear is.

On another note, I've always wished that the TOBY or Golden Teddy awards would release the vote count on the top one, two or three bears in each category.  I think it says a lot if they could say "this bear won with 75% of the vote!", or "this bear received 45% of the vote, and this runner-up bear received 43% of the vote".  It would show how tight the numbers were... whether the winner was a landslide or just barely squeeked out over the number two bear.  Know what I mean?  I'd love to see that.

Ho hum... dreamin' this morning...  bear_original
Kelly

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Jodi/Shelli/Judi/Dilu/Jenny/ oh heck I can't remember everyones name!

What wonderful inspirational messages. of course we all feel bed when we don't get picked and I have gone thru the same soul searching wondering what is wrong with my bears?  don't they like me? is it because no one knows who I am? I too realize that it is NOT the bears, it is NOT me (at least I hope not) lol
It is just there are so so many deserving entries and I would not want to have to pick from them.

Judi, yes I also entered these in the TOBY's so we will see how that turns out. And if it doesn't.... I WILL try again. Thanks so much for your kind words about them. I am so glad I started this thread. It has been wonderful therapy the last few days!
Hugs
Sonya

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Wowza . . . Shelli, you're a doll for posting Laura's explanation of the judging process . . . and she's a doll for taking time to actually explain it and allow you to publicly show her words.  To Jodi, Shelli, Sonya and all others whose impressive work has not been nominated during some years - your creations are wonderful and you are very successful artists who continue to have a large following and many satisfied customers.  If you or your work were stinky, nobody would love your creations or buy them and we know that's not true.  So, in the big picture, you are all winners and very successful people . . . and a contest, or two, isn't going to change that at all.  Big hugs to you all!

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Shelli -
Thanks for posting the information from Laura. I know that will help people understand the process.
When I was asked to judge, it was hard. There were some well made pieces but very little creativity and some poorly made pieces with great creativity. It is hard to say which one you liked the best. Ideally, the piece would be well made and different. I don't envy the judges.

To everyone else -
Don't be discouraged! You can't win all the time. Are your pieces selling? Are your collectors buying more from you? I think that can say more about you than any award. I have known several artists over the years that won awards, and in the next year quit making because the collectors weren't buying from them. I would rather be the artist that didn't win but is still selling and creating pieces that I love to make. There were several factors that came into play. Many of those artist priced themselves out of the market. They would win and a bear that the normally would sell for $150 was now $400. Be realistic! Even though you win you might be able to raise your prices a bit, but keep it within what is normal for your bears. I really like many of the winners from last year, but I don't think I am going to pay $1000 for a $200 bear.
We all need to do like Jodi did and ask ourselves, "Why are we doing this?" And when you get the answer to this question focus on that. If you are planning on getting rich, well don't. I have been at this for 15 years now and I am nowhere near being rich.  I do it because I love it. The awards are not the "end-all, be-all" of the teddy bear world, they are a nice way for us as artist to gain recognition. I would love to win one every year for 10 years in a row, but that ain't gonna happen. I encourage everyone to enter every year, you just never know. But don't quit because you don't get nominated. Find your passion for making bears/animals and make that your focus. A Golden Teddy and/or a TOBY are just icing on the cake.

A huge thanks are due to both Teddy Bear Review and Teddy Bear & Friends for putting on these contests.

Just my thoughts

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

Great thoughts, Jared . . . and please give my warmest best wishes and congrats to your mom for her GT nominations!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Amen Jared!

Board footer