Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Tiggbears Tigg Bears
Dorset, England

Hi all,

I've been making bears for 2-3 years now, and now I've found the size I like making and the fabrics and style I prefer, I can't wait to get going with designing my very own pattern.

I am fairly happy with arms, legs, bodies and ears, but I just don't know where to start with the head.  Is there a general rule of thumb when creating the pattern for the head? I would like to incorporate a muzzle piece but think perhaps I had ought to get to grips with the basics first! I prefer working on miniatures measuring around 6cms.

Thankyou in advance.

Hugs,
Laura

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hi, Laura . . . have you discovered our library yet?  It has lots of helpful information on many bear topics and you might find what you're looking for there.  It's right above your post on the left side.  Just scroll down to the topic "Heads".

Tiggbears Tigg Bears
Dorset, England

Hi Sue Ann,

Thanks I'll be sure to have a look through the library now...

Laura bear_original

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Tiggbears wrote:

Is there a general rule of thumb when creating the pattern for the head? I would like to incorporate a muzzle piece

Just curious what you mean by a muzzle piece? Would that be a contrasting piece of fur for the bear's muzzle? I've done contrasting muzzles by "splitting" the usual 3 head pieces, but maybe that's not practical with very tiny bears. (This is Ivan with his contrasting muzzle design: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=43555)

I also like to use tipped mohair. Then when you scissor-sculpt the face, you end up with a color contrast since you've trimmed away the outer color (see my avatar bear).

Becky

Tiggbears Tigg Bears
Dorset, England

Hi Becky,

Yes that's what I mean, using another fabric to make an inset muzzle piece - thanks for the link to Ivan.

Here is a pic of one of the very first bears I ever made, and it's this pattern I want to try and recreate in my miniatures...

Tigg_Bears_mascot.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

So you're an old hand at splitting pattern pieces already! bear_original The same idea should work for your minis, I would think.

I've also seen circular or conical insets, too, but have never attempted one myself.

Let us know how it goes.

Becky

Tiggbears Tigg Bears
Dorset, England

I couldn't get my head around how to create this piece but now I think I understand - you can split the head pieces and include a seam allowance.

Can't wait to have a go at my own!

Thanks for your help - will put some pics up of my first attempt.

Laura  bear_cool

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

For designing I love Ted Menten book. You can buy it off of Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/Menten-Teddy-Stud … 006&sr=1-3

Board footer