Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

OK... I know that people are scattered about the Internet these days, but I really do miss the discussions that once took place on this forum.

This morning, I'm the one registered use online, and there are 30 guests. We've talked before about what that means (perhaps a few members are here without being logged in, some web robots, etc.), but I honestly feel like the posts here are more for the benefit of spectators than participants these days. (I certainly don't mind the guests, especially if they're interested in teddy bears, but I wish the proportion weren't so lopsided.)

That's all I've got. Just venting and missing the folks I used to see here.

Becky

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I have to agree with you Becky.  I used to love to read the interesting posts on TT about the bear business but now all I see posted are cute animal pics of the day so I look at the adorable creations in the Index and move on.  Not the same TT at all.

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I couldn't agree more with you, Becky.  bear_sad

Every time I log on to TT (and I still do it everyday), I think back to the times when there used to be lots of lively discussions, when everyone shared their joys and woes, when it used to be a pleasure to post pics of your hug, etc...   Just take a look at the "Bearhugs" section: last post March 19th!   :o

Is everyone posting their hugs and prayers on FB?
Has TT grown too big with too many members?
Can we do anything about it?

I don't have the answers and maybe I am just becoming nostalgic in my "old age", but I miss the good old days as well.  bear_sad

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I miss the old days on this forum too.  We used to have a birthday calendar and a show calendar.  When I agreed to take over posting cute animal pics of the day, there was a lot more activity on the forum than there is now.  I will continue to post cute animal pics of the day, but I miss the activity on the forum.  What can be done to bring activity back to the forum?

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

Hi
I agree with you.  The site contenct does seem to have changed dramatically.   I truly enjoy the cute animal pictures each day and log on specifically to view them.  Because I do this during lunch break at work, I dont actually "log on" to the site so I probably appear to be a guest.

I became a bit reluctant to post pics of my new creations after posting a picture and within one week seeing an exact copy right down to the materials used, and animal created ( not a bear ). I am aware of another premier artist on this site who you dont see much of anymore, whose work appears to be closely mirrored right down to animal concept and accessories. I read on her blog about a cease and desist order she was pursuing. 

It is a shame because that is what I enjoy the most.  Ooohing and Aaahing over other artist creations with deepest appreciation because I know how difficult this art is.  That is part of the fun of doing shows too. I do see more posts from new artists asking "how to" and it seems they are usually just referred to the archive which I found to be extremely helpful when I first joined.  But, didn't there use to be a group of artists who wanted to mentor new ones? Maybe it is the new posters who will help revitalize the site.

And, maybe some have stopped posting because the bear business is in a bit of a decline....due to the economy.

I hope things will rebound for all of us soon.

Take care
Lee Ann

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I think I'm one of the few full time teddy bear artists still talking here?  bear_ermm  I'm not sure of the reason. I do find it hard to find discussions about business, shows, and what I need to discuss concerning the business of our art. I do enjoy the lighter moments and, especially, the photos of the day. But when it comes down to it, I NEED to be able to talk to other full time artists making a living through their craft. Maybe we need to have a division of categories for this?

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

You make a good point, Karen.  I have made bears for a long time but am not much of a photographer.  Now I have about two dozen or so bears that I would like to photograph and put on Etsy.  I would like to be able to discuss the pros and cons of the various venues (Etsy, Ebay, Bearpile, etc.).  I didn't bring up the topic because of how the forum seems to have evolved.  I do enjoy seeing other people's work in the showcase and marketplace sections.  There is so much talent out there.  How can we widen the discussions in the forum?

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Oooh what a topic!

I have been a member for a couple of years and have also noticed the change in postings.

For me, I am often too busy to log on every day and although I always check out the new items, there are so many photos of new creations that I really don't have the time to say to each and every one, how fantastic their bears are  :lol:

I think part of the reason is that there are now other forums that people are using, take for example 'The Guild of Master Bearcrafters' website.  I belong to this site as well and although have a soft spot for TT, there are definately more 'discussions' on there.

I will continue to be loyal to TT as I love the ease of use of this site and feel like we are a great community of friends.

Lets start with our discussions again!!  :lol:

Hugs

Lisa x

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I'm still here.  I come more than once a day, and often there is nothing new posted.  I was never one to start discussions, but I do like to join in one. This has been and still is my favorite place on the web to come and visit.  I remember when I used to come here several times a day and be able to join discussions.  I do miss it. 
I am finding that I do not like FB so much anymore, but everyone is there.  I rarely post there at all anymore. 
I do not know what the answer is, but I will still come here.  Old habits die hard.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Now, this is nice! bear_grin

I've really enjoyed every single post in this thread, which just proves it - I was missing you very wonderful people!

I can't think of any good solution either except to make an effort to start discussion threads. (Even my whining turned into a pretty good discussion. bear_happy ) If there is more going on here, there will be more reason for people to stop by, and maybe we can get the ball rolling again.

I'd also like to encourage ALL of the new members to start discussions! Feel free to ask questions or talk about most anything!

Becky

Conni Germany

Thanks Becky! bear_flower

Although I have some problems with the language, I am everyday here. I am there if many of you sleep. I am not sure whether that what writes I is understood. However, I take a lot of pleasure in the TT.
I want to learn in the Bärenmachen and into language.
I show my new bears and animals here always with pleasure.

HeidiBears florida

I think the biggest problem is that us newbies don't really know what it was like in the "old days"! Perhaps the best thing to do would be lead by example and others will surely follow! bear_thumb  I think all the new advances in technology have their advantages but at the same time major draw backs like many of you have already stated. Even though the newer generations love their phones and ipods I don't believe that teddy bear making is dying out anytime soon. Coming from someone who just graduated highschool I'd have to say I know many people my age who once they see the bears are instantly fascinated and want to try making their own. Maybe things won't ever be exactly like they once were but that doesn't mean we can't strive for something new and possibly even better  :).

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Conni wrote:

I am not sure whether that what writes I is understood. However, I take a lot of pleasure in the TT.

I always understand what you write, Conni. Thank you for knowing English! (I can't make a single sentence in German.)

Heidi wrote:

Coming from someone who just graduated highschool I'd have to say I know many people my age who once they see the bears are instantly fascinated and want to try making their own. Maybe things won't ever be exactly like they once were but that doesn't mean we can't strive for something new and possibly even better

Congratulations on your graduation, Heidi! In your case, I think you were around for the old days that I'm talking about...like maybe a year ago? It's simply a matter of quantity: The more people posting, the more interesting the forum (no matter how old or new those people are bear_original .)

Becky

Conni Germany

I am glad if it is so. I read the sides of TT with pleasure and sometimes I take the translator. It completely goes well.
I think I can learn. In my school hours I learnt English and Russian.   
At this time I did not know that I can have once contacts in the whole world. I am born in the GDR.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

I also miss the old days.  One of the things that I feel has hurt this forum is that we lost all but one of the moderators.  I also feel that many have gone to Facebook.  We can bring it back with a little effort from all of us who still visit it regularly. 
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Donna, things HAVE changed.  I also miss TT.  I belong to the Bear Artistry Guild. but I have to admit I don't go there often and I really can't explain why.  I think the popularity of Facebook was the changing factor here.  People could post what they wanted without having to abide by rules or guidelines.  Facebook has gotten too big for me - It's a steady stream of bears and bear makers and it's hard to keep up.  I don't know if you could ever make TT what it used to be.  It's the changing of technology.  We had a 2 hour power failure the other day and I was thinking "great, we can have some conversation" - NOPE.  4 males with 8 electronic devices between them, loaded with games.  I gave up and went out for a drive.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I too miss the old TT. For me, I have not been around as much due to deaths in the family since Jan. The  few times I did logged on, I found there were not a lot of discussions or topics started. I have to say, the bright spots that continue to bring a smile to my face are the cute animal pictures. 

I am not much of a Facebook person. I don't know of other venues where bear-minded people like us go. I often wondered where all our TT friends went... So it is sad.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm thinking it's time for me to make an appearance on this thread.  Yes, as Donna has pointed out, I am the only Help Adviser (aka moderator) left and yes, TT now is definitely not the TT of several years ago.  Teddy Talk began almost a decade ago with another bear artist and I being the initial mods (along with a few Intercal-related people).  As the forum grew, we added several more artists as Help Advisers and we had to deal with problems that inevitably developed between strong-minded people who didn't agree on some things.  To keep our board friendly and family safe, we had to tweak rules and guidelines which, I believe, was not popular with a lot of people.  But we will not condone trashing or insulting one another.  Brenda mentioned that people didn't feel they could talk freely or post their true feelings on a particular subject.  Over the years, there were interesting topics that have been posted where the discussions just disintegrated into a slug-fest, so-to-speak.  None of that has happened during recent times (thank you all!), but neither has there been much discussion on anything.  I do think the social sites have definitely influenced the direction TT has taken in that the rules/guidelines are not nearly as strict and there are many more people to connect with.  But we are all about teddy bears (and their friends), so topics of discussion are rather limited, also.  I'm guilty of steering posters to the library when I know the subject they are asking about is addressed there.  The library contains so much good information that it would be a shame not to take advantage of it, but that doesn't mean that we can't continue the discussion on that thread if people are interested.  By the way, with our new look, the library is located in the middle of the page just over the first post.  It's a drop-down menu that begins with Accessories and has "add a tag" to the right of the box.  If the topic you want to know about isn't listed, please don't be afraid to post a question . . . there are NO dumb/uninteresting/silly/stupid/or otherwise foolish questions.  We are here to help you if we can.  I certainly don't know the answer to getting TT interesting again, but rest assured that we behind the scenes aren't asleep and realize that we don't have near the activity we used to.  Also, I come on the forum many times a day to see if you are all behaving yourselves, but you'll never see me listed.
Just know that there is monitoring going on and not only by me.  Okay if we all put on our thinking caps, maybe we can light a fire amongst ourselves.  Thank you all for still being here and thanks to you, Becky, for starting the thread.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi everyone, bear_flower

Oooh, I love this thread, (thanks Becky) and it's something that I have often thought about, particularly when I have wanted to start a new topic (normally something loony!) but then decided against it because I thought people might think I'm a little mad! bear_wacko bear_laugh

I have been a member of TT for several years now, (probably about six years), and can remember this being an extremely busy forum.  Yes, we did get some heated discussions going on, but also some extremely interesting ones.  The general feel of the forum was ( and still is!!) one of being extremely friendly, most people chipping in to help in some way, but it wasn't always about "bears".  We'd also have chats about the funnier side of life, silly things that would happen, just about anything really.  We had (and still do have) a section where we can turn to friends for personal/life problems which I feel is very important on the forum too, along with a section for newbies.

I visit here every day and confess that I don't always sign in.  I do if I want to make a comment or "like" someone's bear, though currently "liking" is a problem as we have to wait 30 seconds in between "liking" and that is way too long to hang around so a lot of bears go "unliked" I'm afraid.

I joined Facebook a couple of months ago (after saying I'd never join!) and to be honest I'm bored already, as you are bombarded with too much rubbish. But, I have never been bored with TT and I do think that gradually others will become a little fed up with some of the social sites and return here. 

Well, I have always supported TT so will put my thinking cap on and try to come up with some topics (which will probably be light-hearted ones!) but that is no good if no-one makes any comments!  So, come on everyone, support lovely TT and get those keyboards clicking away!

Hugs to you all ...

Marilyn xx  bear_flower

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Oh, a very interesting topic!
I'm relatively new to TT. I'm a member since October 2011. I can't say I know how it was in the old times. What I can say is that I visit at least once a day. Even now that I'm on holidays, I still visit bear_original .
It has been great, and I spent the first couple of months browsing the library, and from that blessed library I got soooo much inspiration. And still from the library you have a sense of what went on on this site. Now that I don't spend so much time anymore consulting old posts, I also miss having new topics to read about. I love posting my new creations here, and seeing other people's creations.
I wonder, and this is a question to the 'old' members. When did it start to get slow? Can't it be just that it is summer, and people are on holiday? ....dumb question maybe! bear_sad
I also had the feeling that there was not much said lately, but thought it was due to the season...

Even if a bit slower, I must say I still value TT above every other site, and I'm so happy to have found it, and all the great members that make it unique and wonderful.

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

How lovely to see that this discussion has already encouraged a previous TT member to return to this happy little family, so I say
"Welcome back MaryAnn"!   bear_flower  It was a shame that you had to leave for a while, but maybe now would be a lovely time for you to help us bring back the "good old days"!! bear_original   Plus everyone would love to hear about you and your bears too!

Hugs to everyone,

Marilyn x bear_flower

Just had to add ..... I just noted that there are now 32 "visitors" to TT plus two of us who have signed in.  Come on everyone, sign in and say "hello"!!!

Marlys Waggle Bears
So Cal Desert

I must admit that I'm one of those who left for FB just because I couldn't keep up with all the forums, as has been said. FB has been a great venue for me to connect with old school friends, hometown friends, relatives I've never known and to meet many new people. There is the problem of having too many friends who really have no connection with but "friend" you because they know a friend of yours, make bears, or want to  promote their sites for sales...and that is not just bear people.

Since I left TT my bear-making has slowed down to non existent...seem to have lost the  excitement. Even though there are many bear friends on FB it isn't focused on bear-making exclusively and I think that kept me motivated. I will make more of an effort to sign in as often as possible.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I pop in almost every day ...but I have to say that it has become a bit of a quiet forum since the etiquette rules were tightened. That's not to say I approve of the bitter slanging matches that have gone on but sometimes it's best to let things play out naturally and trust that people will be adult in these discussions. I think people are fearful of starting a serious debate if it ends up being stopped midflow ...so inevitably the content becomes rather dull. There are those who will always jump into a fight...they are there, on all forums....waiting to start a scrap. We had some trolls who would instantly flame situations and it would get very heated. I personally object to any member who pretends to be someone else. I think we should be up front and honest about who we are.
I love to see the new work too...but I haven't noticed copies occurring as a direct result if pictures posted on here..l think copiers just copy ...period ...that will never stop!
This is great thread and if there were more like it we'd all join in. The Guild does have lots of discussions ...but it also has misunderstandings, scraps and malcontents in the midst..,but that's life and you can't stop it happening..on the whole I think , though I have been left feeling bruised and misunderstood by some disagreements at times it's good to be part if a lively and interesting group even if it's a bit volatile on occasion , because most people know deep down that we can all get along in reality. If you don't get along with someone you don't have to be in contact with them. On the whole most groups are good natured, intelligent and worthwhile ....I think there is place for somewhere that artists and collectors can go to exchange views, ideas, compliments and sometimes heated debate.
So  certainly, I'd like to see the old TT back ...LIVELY, interesting and full of character...scraps and all!!!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

jenny wrote:

I pop in almost every day ...but I have to say that it has become a bit of a quiet forum since the etiquette rules were tightened. That's not to say I approve of the bitter slanging matches that have gone on but sometimes it's best to let things play out naturally and trust that people will be adult in these discussions. I think people are fearful of starting a serious debate if it ends up being stopped midflow ...so inevitably the content becomes rather dull. There are those who will always jump into a fight...they are there, on all forums....waiting to start a scrap. We had some trolls who would instantly flame situations and it would get very heated. I personally object to any member who pretends to be someone else. I think we should be up front and honest about who we are.
I love to see the new work too...but I haven't noticed copies occurring as a direct result if pictures posted on here..l think copiers just copy ...period ...that will never stop!
This is great thread and if there were more like it we'd all join in. The Guild does have lots of discussions ...but it also has misunderstandings, scraps and malcontents in the midst..,but that's life and you can't stop it happening..on the whole I think , though I have been left feeling bruised and misunderstood by some disagreements at times it's good to be part if a lively and interesting group even if it's a bit volatile on occasion , because most people know deep down that we can all get along in reality. If you don't get along with someone you don't have to be in contact with them. On the whole most groups are good natured, intelligent and worthwhile ....I think there is place for somewhere that artists and collectors can go to exchange views, ideas, compliments and sometimes heated debate.
So  certainly, I'd like to see the old TT back ...LIVELY, interesting and full of character...scraps and all!!!

You bring up some of the problems we had some years back, Jenny, that did cause us to strengthen our posting rules.  We do not want members with hurt feelings, who feel belittled and battered because of strong disagreements with someone else.  We asked those who took part in these 'discussions' to try to work out their differences off this board.  Dirty laundry should not be aired on a public forum such as ours if it's going to cause angry, resentful emotions.  Too many innocent people got caught in the crossfire and we lost members as well as HAs because of it.  We did have several who chose to ignore our requests to make their heated arguments private so the result was a tweaking of our rules and blocking those who repeatedly caused trouble.  On the other side of the coin, we do want interesting discussions that bring a variety of responses from members . . . IF the content of the thread doesn't cross over into hurtful bashing.  We will give you some leeway so as not to abruptly stop all conversation on a topic, but we walk a fine line here behind the scenes and we have to use our judgment as to when something goes too far.  Admin has the final say regarding our policies and and is responsible for taking the appropriate actions. Teddy Talk's goal is to promote the teddy bear industry.  We want our site to be a safe, friendly, warm, and helpful place where teddy lovers can connect.  If some of you would like to refresh your memory regarding our rules, there is a link on the bar at the top of the page.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

That was how I remember it happening Sue Ann. I remember one particular person flaming on here and I think maybe a few spoiled it for all.
Maybe it has stopped members raising possibly meatier topics for fear of this happening again. No-one wants to fall foul of the rules.

Board footer