Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I miss the birthdays and the calendar of shows.  But you're right, the forum is starting to come alive again!  Let's keep up the discussions!

BFB-Lyn Brimbin Forest Bears
NSW, Australia
Website

bear_thumb Yep, I'll second that Gail  bear_original

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Hi too, to Birgitte and Sue and Lynn and Brenda and Peter and Shane and Jenny and...and... every non-US citizen here!
I'm pretty sure that a lot of us do tend to forget that you all don't live here with us.

The pc began its popularity in the US, as did most of the social media sites and as they integrated the rest of the world and absorbed you all, one at a time, we all just see you as part of us. Forgetting that you have your own nationality identities and biases. That you may feel very isolated from us - - by an ocean or two, and much land mass and many non-English-speaking people between us/US, as well as many non-bear-making people who don't understand this passion of yours!
You come here for some comradeship and if a question appears to be ignored, it MOST DEFINITELY is not because you are from another country!!!

It may possibly be that you are not a familiar 'voice' here in the forum. Others may feel just as shy about jumping in (as someone said about starting new topics or sometimes even posting to ongoing threads) I do notice that those who are familiar to others tend to get answered or responded to more often or more quickly.
If you don't receive what you've requested, it's certainly OK to post again, perhaps even rephrasing your first post, because it may not have been understood what you needed or were requesting the first time.
Believe me, no one was ignoring you due to your country. I just don't think that anyone here even considers that, except to possibly do what I do: occasionally I'll notice all of the differently colored flags and think "Wow! We have members here from Lithuania! and Vienna! and Denmark!!" or "I didn't know she was from ________. Her English is perfect!"
I've always thought that TT was truly international, in the best sense of the word. (Better than the Olympic spirit!)

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

I agree Bobbie TT is truely international and all the better for it

In some way it felt awkward to be honest about the way I felt because the culprits are now absent (or maybe they are just waiting to pounce LOLOL sorry)

The people who are here currently should in no way feel bad because they were not at fault in any way and I would hate you or Joanne or Brenda to feel hurt or upset by it. I think it just happened that the few I had trouble with were from the US, it was then exacerbated by those that would "suck up" to them and they would then jump on you too, so nationality really is a bit of a red herring   bear_flower

Although I will have to wikipedia who invented the pc!!!!!  bear_grin LOLOLOL xx

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

According to wiki, it was the Italians who produced the first PC in 1964, so there you go  bear_grin

rowarrior wrote:

According to wiki, it was the Italians who produced the first PC in 1964, so there you go  :lol:

D*mn and us Brits invent so many thing, never do anything with them though LOLOL

Ta Katy for putting us straight xxxx

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Wait, all is not lost Sue!  According to the searches I put in:
http://search.yahoo.com/search?ei=utf-8 … ted+the+pc
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Who_invented_the_computer
(Babbage)
British > via ancient Chinese (abacus in theory)>then...
Bulgarians
Iowa Sate Uni
Berkley Ent.
IBM & UNIVAC
(I saw no listing of any Italians (sorry, and tip-of-my-hat-to-my-Fave-SIL)
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2011 … answer-no/
C'mon IBM, have a heart. Even Roberts' Wikipedia page acknowledges him as the engineer who developed "the first commercially successful personal computer." When he died last year, Microsoft's Bill Gates and Paul Allen praised him as "the father of the PC."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/8600493.stm

LOLOL you see what did I say, we come with the idea but then move on, typical xx  bear_grin  bear_wacko

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Ah, but that's computers, not PCs, they're not one and the same  bear_happy

SillySu Susie's Bears
California
Website

I wish I had more time to be on here too.  SueAnn, thanks for sticking with this.  I have to try to check in here more often.  BY the way, I certainly see why you had to strengthen the posting rules.  I remember some crazy things going on.  I've seen that on facebook too, and it's not the right thing to do.  Things are said online that most would never say to someones face....  Sad.  That is not what TT is all about and I'm glad to be a part of the TT community! bear_original

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I've been visiting TT since its inception and although I couldn't accept because of other commitments, was originally invited to be a Help Advisor.  I've witnessed many 'ups and downs' over the years, but think that overall TT works because it is committed to help promote the teddy bear, sharing him equally among collectors, makers, sellers and promoters alike. Mixing such a variety of perspectives can make for really interesting discussions, but it is also sometimes difficult to share the nuts 'n bolts of bear making/selling discussions with such a broad audience.  I've seen and experienced firsthand, some awful flare-ups guaranteed to ruffle feathers among TT members and it never ceases to amaze me how personally things can be taken when written on a forum.  It's disappointing when a good topic goes sour simply because of the way someone expresses themselves in text, or someone else misinterprets the gist of a comment because they haven't read it through carefully enough, or considered the writer's perspective fairly enough.

As has been mentioned, I run the Guild solely for committed bear artists, to help promote their work and to provide a venue for professional discussion, often about subjects which would not be appropriate to share with a broader audience.  We have had remarkably few flare-ups on the Guild and I'm happy to say, the few which have occurred have been resolved in a dignified, professional manner between the members who disagreed with one another.  The Guild doesn't compete with TT, the two forum memberships are very different.

I do think forum communities are strange places sometimes ... many times we don't actually know one another in person and wouldn't dream of making argumentative comments if sat sharing a cup of tea together, yet it seems anything goes on the internet!  A passion for a subject may bring out views which once offered for forum digestion, are subject to heated argument if another member wishes to offer an alternative view - before you know it, more members have waded in, sides have been taken and an unproductive war waged.  In these circumstances, some members will take offence, others will be upset, others will thoroughly relish the fight and so on ...  the sad thing is, many will simply withdraw from a forum they previously enjoyed - the damage is done.

TT is a fabulous source of information, has forged some terrific friendships between members over the years and has worked hard to strike a balance at all times amongst the very diverse membership.  I would say quite bluntly, if you want it to return to its glory days, the best thing to do is put a little more effort into using it!  Have respect for your host, invite members to take part in challenges, open interesting discussion threads, share your work here ... don't leave it to the usual committed few and expect them to carry it all for you.  Forums need commitment from their members, to be successful they need them to participate, keep a level head and think about the subject matter from perspectives other than their own.  It's not rocket science, it's common sense.

On a personal note, I love TT and see no reason why it can't be vibrant again ... if that's what the members want.

Board footer