Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Purely idle curiosity... I see that the movie "Ted," about a talking teddy bear with some serious vices, is doing very well at the box office.

Has anyone seen the movie, or do you plan to see it? Do you think part of the movie's appeal is that it's about the bond between a (grown-up) boy and his teddy bear? And would it be upsetting to you to see a teddy bear smoking, fighting, and hanging out with "ladies of the evening"?

This has piqued my curiosity, and the previews do look rather funny. bear_original

Becky

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

Speaking just for myself.  I'm not going to see the movie.  I don't like smoking, fighting, and the idea of "ladies of the evening" in anything I watch, and even less so with the fact that they've done this with a teddy bear.  For me, teddies represent the innocence of childhood, the movie seems the exact opposite of that.         bear_ermm

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I have not seen the movie "Ted", but I have seen the trailers.  I am planning on streaming it rather than going to the theater.  In my humble opinion, a bear should be able to bond with its person, no matter what.  I have no problem with this.  My only fear is that something horrible will happen to Ted!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree with Kelly that I wouldn't want to see a movie that tarnishes my idea of a teddy bear.  They represent innocence, comfort, compassion, and loyal friendship to me and I prefer not to have that image trashed by seeing the movie.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_grin I understand that it is very funny from someone that has seen it, but it is more like and adult bear that is kind of raunchy.  I went and saw Savages that was probably worse.  LOL
Hugs Pat bear_flower

YoYoBears YoYo Bears
Temecula, California
Website

I saw Ted last week with my daughter who is now grown. It is not a movie for children. The part that I liked was when they were trying to put ted back together. I found myself telling me daughter that they needed to do a ladder stitch to put him back together.  bear_laugh My daughter looked at me and laughed. Her comment was mom, how could anyone not know that you are a teddy bear artist. I just smiled.

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

While I am no prude and not offended by a little raunchiness, I found this movie totally offensive.  My husband and I went to see it at the theater-something we do very little because of finances.  The  young men in the audience found the whole thing hillarious...lots of jabs against gays, nasty sexual talk...just bad, bad, bad...the writer of this piece needed to be reined in to be able to write something that was funny and not offensive.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I appreciate the reviews, YoYo Bears and Busser Bears. bear_flower

I don't often go out to a movie, and it sounds as if this one is quite skip-able. (Still, it's interesting that it's been so popular. Let's face it - people love teddy bears!)

Becky

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I was hoping to go and see it, but not so sure now. Doesn't sound like my kind of movie. In fact it sounds like the kind of movie whose ads show the funniest parts of the movie and the rest is more or less filler lol. I might wait until they put it on tv, that way it will be free and I'll be able to tell if it's worth buying on DVD or not without spending any money on it.

I have to agree teddy bears are about innocence and looking after their people, that is just what people think of when they think of teddy bears. From the ads I thought it looked like this bear and his person still had that bond, it's just that the bear doesn't represent innocence lol.

After reading everyone's thoughts on this movie though, I won't be going to see it. Might go and see "Brave" instead  bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Gabriele wrote:

In fact it sounds like the kind of movie whose ads show the funniest parts of the movie and the rest is more or less filler lol.

bear_laugh I'll bet that's exactly right!

Becky

Board footer