Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Had to do it...had to drop my prices on my bears. I've got medical bills piling up and my sons 12th birthday is a month and a couple days away. I'll be putting more up soon, I'm hoping they sell quickly. I wish the econemy would pick up so bears can be bought again guilt free (sigh).  bear_sad

FenBeary Folk FenBeary Folk
Pointon Fen, Lincolnshire, UK

It's not getting any better, the economy here in the UK is getting worse

They are saying we are out of recession but it does't feel like it

Hope your sale goes well  bear_wub  bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I think it's hard. I havent dropped my prices but I am making smaller, less complex bears that are less costly. I think we are all feeling the pinch. If you can get through this I think we should survive anything! bear_thumb

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Its very hard to sell in this economy - lots and lots of great bears, very little money out there!  Hard not to drop prices, but then you end up working for almost nothing an hour!  If you're trying to make a living - Wow!  For the first time since I've been selling bears I have 3 on hand!  I agree with Jenny - survival!  bear_flower

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I was surprised when I saw this topic today on TT because I posted a notice on my website this morning explaining why I started selling my bears for lower prices than I previously had.  My decision was based on several reasons. Mainly the fact that I like sharing my bears.  Also, I do this for a hobby and I have not entered any contests or received any awards for my bears because my day job is too demanding to even think on that level of bear making.  I love making bears and I don't want to hold on to every one I create.  And even though my bears are extremely and painstakenly well-made they aren't worth a hundred bucks of someone's hard-earned money.  And I highly doubt that they will be in the future either.  I am making smaller versions now that I call teacup bears and as long as I pay for the mohair and they pay for the shipping and I make a little over that I am extremely happy.

One of the reasons I put this explanation up on my website is because I don't want other bear makers to think that I'm trying to undercut them and it really did bother me that it could be viewed that way.  The most I ever made on a bear was $95.00 anyway and the going rate was $79.00.  But I didn't sell every bear at that price and some still sit in my wicker "orphans rocker" at home.  I want them to go to someone who will love them and enjoy them!

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I keep churning it over and over..the cost of bears after I add up the hours is enormous for many collectors and if I win the lottery I would give them away..but till then I need to get a decent living out of making them.
So I understand the survival instinct ..truly I do. I do get a good price for my bears but I have to be realistic ...we all do .As far as keeping going it's a battle that I fight continually ...bears are not a necessity and I feel very lucky and grateful to have survived so far.

Board footer