Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Hey ladies!!
Here's the deal,

I live in the province of Alberta. Out of our whole country of Canada, we have no debt, and our quite wealthy. As a province goes anyway.

So our leader ( premier ) decided that he should share the wealth with EVERY single Albertan. So if you're a baby, homeless whatever, you will be getting a $400 cheque! He's calling them prosperity cheques.  :dance:

I think this is quite cool! Actually sharing the wealth.

So today, my boyfriend and I just got our 2 - $400 cheques.

What to do???? here are the options...

1) MOHAIR

2) we need a new dryer

3) we are getting married in vegas in Oct, then going to mexico. We could always use lots of money for that.

4) MOHAIR

5) just blow it on crazy stuff.

What would you do?? I know this isn't some financial place, but we've all been around, and I could use some advice. Hate to waste 'free' money like that.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sounds like you are quie lucky, all those winnings. I wish!!!!!!!!!

Mohair huh?..........that's one vote.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

WOW, how nice!  I wish our country woudl share it's wealth.

It's always nice to buy the things you need but far more exciting to buy something fun.

If I had $400 in my pocket right this minute I would buy mohair............................hey I just did that last night bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb  bear_thumb

Deb Upstate New York

1) Get a tip on a stock and invest.

or

2) Buy dryer and save balance for wedding/honeymoon.

MerBear MerBear Originals
Brockville, Ontario

share with your poor Ontario neighbours!   :clap:

Marion

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I'd plump for the mohair...because it would turn into at least $800 when you sell what you make and probably a lot more!!

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

That is a good question.
But definitely keep some money for your wedding and honeymoon.
Please yourself buying some mohair fabrics you usually find too expensive, like kid mohair.
Buy all the teddy bear making materials you've been dreaming of!
But definitely send as much money as possible just to please yourself!

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Do a little of everything!

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hey that is awesome.  How about sharing it with your poor neighbours on the  east coast, you know that place east of Ontario .........NS    bear_tongue
I think you should use some for all of the things on you list.  Make sure to enjoy some of it !

Dilu Posts: 8,574

supplies.....and no looking back!

ellen ontario, canada

i have one bobble-headed skwinty mcguinty to trade for one wonderful mr.klein.  could you get him in here Heather?   bear_grin

i vote mohair!!  ...and use your profits towards a house.  every penny counts!

*jealous*

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I'd probably spend a bit on bears but right now I need to take my 14 year old shopping for new clothes AGAIN.  He's growing so fast that he's already outgrown what I bought him for school.  AUGH!!!  And I know I'll be shopping again in a few months for Summer.

Who told these kids they could grow so fast?

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Boy Shantell, I hear you! My son is 13 and he's grown so much I will soon be the shortest person in my house ( and I'm not short!)
  Heather- I'm not much fun- the practical thought is always the first one that comes to my mind.. I would get the dryer... but i would complain about it a lot!
  Suzanne

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

I'd buy  mohair and supplies !!! ...because before you got this " free" money you  already were planning on getting married in Vagas and going to Mexico...so you had to pay for this anyway....

Hey, I listen the George Nory on Coast to Coast radio...and there is a gal that comes on  to advertise Las Vegas ..and right now some of the hotels are giving away FREE night packages... just for coming there ! Quite the savings...it has always been said that  Vegs dosn't make its money on hotels...it makes it billions on gambling !
So if you can control that you can have a nice vacation there for mot too much money...its the air fare that will get you....

OK...I'd do Mohair like I said but...you could  say spilt the difference. I like the idea of buying more than $200 then you get some free mohair ....Winney

Kelly Blondheart
Colorado Springs, Colorado

If it was me I would probably buy shoes (kidding)

Vegas is really expensive, I would save it for your trip!  You can always buy mohair, but you can't always buy wedding memories.  Congrats by the way!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I vote mohair! You double your money and let boyfriend pay for dryer, wedding and vegas!
Sonya

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

half towards dryer, half on mohair
no guilt either way

that's it... i'm moving to Alberta.... oh, guess I'm too late for that check though, huh?

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Heather,

As a fellow Albertan I have already spent 1/2 on mohair :dance:  :dance: !!!  And the other half went towards my new dining room suite!

I would do the mohair and the dryer!

Its great to be an Albertan! :hug:  :hug: but Id rather live where its warm all year round!!! :pray:

Jane

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hey Heather,
    I'm with Ellen - I'd definitely trade Sqwinty McGuinty for wonderful Mr. Klein and I'll even throw younger brother McGuinty in as a freebee!!  LOL!!   Go for mohair with your money and them tell "hubby to be" that he can put his cheque towards the wedding.  I think that's a win-win solution, don't ya think!!

Hugs,

Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

hm.... I would buy some mohair and an artist bear or two bear_original  It is free money so I would spend it on something that isn't part of the everyday "budget"  bear_thumb

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hello Heather !!!
Wao, lucky you ♪ bear_laugh

If I were you....
I probably just save for wedding and honeymoon.  bear_smile 

Or

Buy 1yard of white gorgeous mohair, alpaca
from Intercal and create 2 large wedding bear.
(or any size of bears....) You can bring them to your wedding and keep it forever or hide from your parents until the wedding day
and give it to your present on the day !
Groom bear will go to groom parents and
Bride bear will go to bride parents......

but if your parents are not so crazy about
bears........ this may not work.  bear_cry

Hugs/Marie

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

I am going to be the practical one here and suggest you invest it in an RRSP for your retirement. It is also a tax deduction on your Income Tax return and no doubt this money will come into earned income for the year. So as with most money the tax man will get you in the end Sorry to be such a party pooper!!!! My suggestions are certainly NOT as much fun as all the rest have been- whatever you decide to do enjoy the windfall
Hugs
Gail

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Heather,

Glad that you got a windfall .... very exciting.

I think I would spend half on mohair and supplies and put the rest towards the wedding.
Enjoy yourself whatever you do!

Hugs
Carolyn

Calgary, Alberta, Canada

You guys are soo cool!

I knew it! Votes for mohair.
Not gonna send any to Ontario. Sorry.  bear_tongue

Okay, so I gather I should at least spend half on mohair. That' fair. Like Jenny says, it's an investment bec. I'll just make more money selling the bears! LOL

Kelly, thank for the congrats. You're right, half is going to vegas and mexico, bec it's fun to holiday and not worry about money.

Sonya, you're right. The fun stuff comes out of my cheque, and the dryer can come from the boyfriends cheque. Genius idea!

Daphne, call me when you get to Alberta, Jane you're smart. I'm gonna do what you did, only replace furnature with dryer.

Gail, your idea was by far the smartest, but you're right. No fun. But it's nice to know we have our financial advisor here! LOL  bear_innocent

Kim bee, now dont be putting ideas in my head like buying an artist bear! LOL

Marie, I'm going to spend half on mohair, but you're right. I'm going to buy some really expensive stuff. Something I wouldn't normally treat myself to.

Thanks everywhere else. Gonna go mohair shopping. Think I'm going to check our paw2sew. Our very own jane runs that business, and they have some great mohair! http://members.shaw.ca/paws2sew/index.htm

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Hey Heather,

We just received, yesterday, a few new pieces of mohair which are not on the site as yet.  There is white, chocolate brown, old tan and black.  We also have some others that aren't on the website, pink with glitter and some I can't remember off hand without going to the store! 

So let me know if you are looking for something and I will check to see what we have and send you some pics!

Thanks.  I sent you a PM! bear_flower  bear_flower

Jane :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer