Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Hi Everyone!   

I know that eye size on a bear is a very personal thing but I would still love you in put if you don't mind bear_grin

As I have been making mini's  I really do not have a handle on eye size for a larger bear.  I have a great stash of 1mm  - 4mm eyes but would like to buy an assortment of larger eyes to play with.  What size do you usually use for,  say a

7-10in bear
10-14in bear
14-16in bear

I searched the site and found great information but nothing to help me on eye size.

Thank you! 

duff

Bev College Place, WA

I make bears from 8"s to 28"s and most of my eyes are 10" 11" 12" 13" or 14"s but it really depends, a baby bear needs larger eyes. When you get the bear head stuffed just hold the eyes up to it and you will be able to see if it works.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

it depends on what look you are after...  bear_original

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Never having worked with larger bears I am not sure what size to buy (I currently do not have anything bigger then 4mm right now) and thought I'd buy several in different sizes as a starting place. But also did not want to go hog wild and buy to many!   I seem to get carried away when I buy supplies bear_grin 

Would it then be safe or possibly a good idea to buy one of each in a range of 8-16mm?   

I am not really sure the look I want & I am working on a larger bear and need to buy eyes for him...    bear_wacko
duff

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I had come across a size chart before that showed the sizes in mm but I cant find it... bear_sad  I have 2s 3s 4s and ones that are about the size of a dime... I dont know what size they are bear_sad Sorry I am not much help - I just usually buy some of each LOL

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Duff, have you ever heard of "True Eyes" or "Test Eyes"?  It's well worth getting a set of them.  They are different sizes of eyes with steel pins on the back, so that you just stick them in the face of your bear head.  You can try different sizes and positions on the head without having to guess.  Intercal has them and I will be back in a second with a link.

http://www.intercaltg.com/catalog/eyes.html#testeyes

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Oh Duff, it is difficult when you are starting out, or even just starting on the big guys, if all your supplies are geared to the mini's. 

Sue Ann's suggestion is the one I would take, even though the test eye sets are pricey.  And here's why: when I first started out I bought medium sizes then when I got up to speed with those sizes I added the smallers and the larger eyes.  Well that is pricey too. 

But I have a real fondness for the eyes at Intercal that have the U shaped backing instead of the round backings.  They haven't ever broken on me when I crimped them, and the round ones can break.  I think because it is an extreme and they are, after all, glass.  And because I was starting out I never knew the differance and bought the cheaper eyes.  Now I have them But I wont use them because the U are so much better.

It would have been cheaper to get the test eyes

I have a spice rack that came with empty glass bottles.  I store all my eyes in the bottles, labled of course.  it makes it really nice to be able to pull out the bottles I want...

good luck....the quest for the perfect supply is never ever over is it?  But as in the making of a critter, the quest is fun!

Love your avitar...he is just too cute!

:hug:

dilu

ScottBear scott's bears

Moving to a new size is like starting ALL over again so I get what your coming from. I think you need to experiment a bit after you get your new pattern done soft stuff you head and use the "TRU EYES" that was mentioned above it lest you play place a size you think you might like sit it on the table and walk by him/her a few hundred times then change them to a different size and do the same he/she will talk to you and you will find what direction you want to go !!! FYI on my 13inch bear I use a 8-9 mil eye but if i am doing a finishing skill around them I go down a size and I use true proportion sizing to the overall design of the bear
The trend is to go much larger with eyes then the "True" proportion rule of thumb of concept and most are not using the" Proportions math formula" for patterns and sizing so eyes are totaly up for grabs LET THE NEW LI'l GUY TELL YOU
BearHugs
SCOTT

Dilu Posts: 8,574

good advice Scott....except I can't stand to leave them eyeless long enough..... :doh:

It is like starting over, but I had another thought, the more sizes you collect the more options you have in your arsenal....just a thought, ok it could be an expensive one, but it's just a thought :dance:

ScottBear scott's bears

well gee Dilu its not like any of us need a (good) excuse to buy bearmaking supplys !!! LOL bear_grin
BearLaughs
Scott

duff Deedle Bears
Dallas

Thanks Everyone!    good advice, I'll look at the "true eye" set.   Makes good sense.         And I really needed an excuse to spend more money bear_grin    !!!!    I have a set for small eye's and it is really helpful, I just cringed at the price for the larger set, but I think you are all right in the end, spend it now and save going forward.  Plus I'll treat myself to as few larger ones to play with for now.   

Scott, you mentioned a "Math" formula that can be used?   Any idea what that actual formulas?    I also remebering somewhere in a post (not sure where) that there is also a formular for facial proportions.  that there is a formula for   "pleasing proportions" ie, the nose to eye placement rerelationshiphat somehow the eye finds most pleaseing.  Does this sound familar?   Just thought it might also be useful as I learn more.

Thank you everyone for your time!   

duff

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I ditto Sue Ann and Scott and the True Eyes.  Great way to start.

Also, if you want a bear to look younger, make the eyes larger.  Smaller eyes will make a bear look older.

You get that new born baby look if you place the eyes low, wide , and large on the head.

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Realistic bears have small eyes....I make untraditional baers from my own imaginatation,, they tend to look like baby cubs.

...so If I make a 10" bear the eyes are size 10 and placed low and wider like Judi says .... If my bear is 12" or 14" I usually use a size 12 eyes. If  he is 16 " then I may use a 14 eye...

and it really depends on the  age /style of the bear but since my bears are " babies " of sorts I  go with a larger eye for effect and even add a lid... it gets larger. For making an antique bear I go with smaller eyes.....and shoe button  is real nice..... Winney

Board footer