Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

MKinsey/TBF Teddy Bear and Friends
Lancaster PA

MKinsey/TBF Editor of Teddy Bear and Friends

view.jpgGreetings from New York!

I’m ensconced on the 42nd floor of the Marriott Marquis, which is right on Times Square. I’ve attached a blurry picture of the view. It’s blurry due to the window glass—and the snow. A Nor’easter has followed me to the city, and we’re supposed to have 6” by morning and as much as six more inches by the time it blows out tomorrow. It snowed for Toy Fair a couple of years ago, all but shutting down the city and the show. We’ll hope it doesn’t get that bad this year.

About the train ride here, I will say only that people who get motion sickness really ought not drink coffee before boarding or read while riding a train.

I spent the afternoon at the Doll & Toy Museum of New York’s 5th Annual Toy Expo and Cultural Event. It’s a tiny show in the basement of the Ethical Cultural Society building, right on Central Park West. The show included an exhibit of black dolls in honor of Black History Month, valuations of old toys by an antique toy consultant, and a display of children’s inventions.

While I was there, I visited with museum director Marlene Hockman and artists Janet and Alex Wilson, Susan and Mark McKay, Dolores Austin, and Jennifer Forgione. The small room was buzzing when I got there. Janet told me that people had shown a lot interest in her minis. The children were especially interested, she reports: they asked a lot of questions. Dolores agreed, saying that there were a lot of attendees and that it was fun to meet new people and introduce her bears to potential collectors.

[Jump the next msg--I broke this into several pieces.]

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ooooooh, I love this shot!  Sounds like you're going to have an exciting time if the weather doesn't ruin it all!  Have a relaxing time with room service and your book.  Sounds great!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

-beautiful!!!  very exciting

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Mindy, Thanks for taking the time to share your weekend/NY/Toy Fair/etc. adventures with us!!! So much fun for us!! Can't wait to see pictures of all the SNOW tomorrow!! Glad you brought boots.
Please say 'Hello' to Kellie!!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Mindy,

A great photo from your room - thanks for sharing. It must be so much fun
to be right in the heart of Times Square.
Stay warm and as Sue Ann said order room service and have a fun time.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Great shot Mindy, but boy I don't think I could have taken it...I hate heights!

Have a great time.

Hugs Jane.  bear_flower

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Oh Mindy isn't this fun? Mum and I are getting ready to head over to the Javits center.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Neat shot Mindy!  Jared, sounds like youare there too?

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_shocked Gosh that's high up!  ...and I happen to like heights, but wow that's high!  bear_shocked

Mindy thank you SO much for reporting for us  :hug:  It sounds as though you're having great fun all ready  bear_smile  I'm off to eagerly look at your other posts....

Deb Upstate New York

Gotta love Times Square!

Polo, IL

Oh yes Judi -
Mum & I are here.
The snow finally stopped.
NYC needs to clean off the sidewalks.

Johnna Johnna's Mohair Store
Costa Mesa, California
WebsiteShop

Hi Jared: I see you are logged on. Can you give us an update on weather conditions?? Mindy Kinsey has not logged on as yet. I'm assuming that power might be out in parts of NY???

Polo, IL

The snow has stopped.
yeah! but there are huge plies of snow.
I think that there was some power outages on the east side or out on Long Island. I haven't watched the local news to know if there were any power outages. I know that there was concern with outages along the coast. The power companies had crews ready early last night to respond to outages.
Mum and I walked to Europan about 3 blocks east of the Travel Inn to have dinner. We had wonderful Turkey sandwiches w/ cranberry dressing.

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Jared,
Were there buyers who made it in spite of the snow?  Were you busy all day writing orders?  I hope the weather does not scare off customers.  What is the atmosphere in the show room?
Donna

Polo, IL

We were very busy this monring. and the day went by very fast.
I think everyone has been stuck in NYC.

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Stuck in NYC- go to the toy show.....so glad you are stuck there and not back home unable to get there.....you look like you are having great fun!  Stay warm....hi to your Mom!

dilu

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

About the train ride here, I will say only that people who get motion sickness really ought not drink coffee before boarding or read while riding a train.

HA!  We're kindred spirits.

Your hotel room view makes me want to BE there!  I've never been to New York but San Francisco hotels offer much the same kind of sky-top view... only RENT isn't playing there any more, as it appears to be in NY.

These reports are great, Mindy... am playing catch up here.  Can't wait to read/see the rest!

THANK YOU!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

What a nice view !!!  bear_smile

Thanks for sharing, Mindy.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Hi Mindy,
What a picture,
Makes me scary just looking at it from here, not sure what I would have done if I was there, thank you for sharing all the info and pictures with us, espcially me seeing I am so far away.
bear_original
Lynette

Board footer