Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

Oh, I'm still upset and I know I'll get over it. However, I just have to tell you about it, because I know you will understand and at least make me feel a little better. I received my very first "negative" feedback on Etsy yesterday. It was for a bear I sold to this lady in August. Never heard a word from her until yesterday when I read the negative feedback. Ouch (again). I offer returns on all my items and would do whatever it takes to make one of my customers happy. Jump over as many hoops as I am able, so to speak. Well, she didn't give me a chance and won't respond to my emails regarding the situation. And the thing that "bugs" me the most about the whole thing is that she was upset because "she" didn't read the description of the bear accurately. It clearly states in the title and in the bear's description that he is made from plush. She was upset and gave me negative feedback because the bear was made out of plush and she didn't notice it when she ordered the bear. (what?) Now three months later she negs me. OK... I have contacted Etsy. They will do nothing. Except their "kiss and tell." Give me a break. All that is is a form to send to the person who neg'ed you and ask them to change their feedback. And I have sent a convo to the person and also an email to their personal address. Heavy sigh.... I'm sure this won't be the end of Western Civilization.... but it was upsetting and I am helpless to change it. Now I have this 99% mark on my feedback score and I don't like it one bit. Hope this is OK to post here. Who else would understand but you guys? Thanks for listening  bear_rolleyes

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh, Vicki - that really does hurt doesn't it and so unfair when it wasn't anything you did or had any control over. I can't understand how some people think - surely anyone could see that that would be a totally unfair thing to do even if she were disappointed - it was her own mistake! And why not contact you first! Etsy should have a policy to retract negative feedback given so unfairly - shame on them!

Miser Miser Bears

Aww thats really horrible! Sending you big bear hugs and I hope your alright  bear_flower

Juneau, Alaska

Thanks Edie and Heather. Oh, I'm OK. Receiving the hugs and already I feel better. Thanks again  bear_original

Little Nan Posts: 233

Vicki, I've looked at your bears, they really are lovely. So if that person is unhappy with your bear I see that as her loss, it's impossible to please everyone, she had probably had a bad day and had to take it out on someone, and unfortunately it was you !
Don't let it put you off, just remember all of your happy customers!
Hugs
Nan x bear_wub  bear_wub

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Vicki,
     I'm sorry you've had such a nasty experience with an etsy buyer.  Honestly, she should have contacted you first, explained she had misread the description and tried to settle it between you.  Can you ding her back with a negative or had you already giver her feedback?  I try not to give feedback until after mine is left.  It's hard but sometimes if they think they will get a negative as well, they rethink leaving one.  Big hugs to you, sweetie.

hugs,

Brenda

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ouch indeed, Vicki. Whether we're selling on Etsy, eBay, or some other online site, I think we all know the feeling of holding our breath and hoping that things go smoothly. There's always the chance that they won't, and you certainly did nothing to deserve negative feedback. (I also agree with Nan that the buyer surely received a lovely bear.)

Becky

Juneau, Alaska

Thanks to you Brenda and Becky. Yes, I had already left her positive feedback.... the transaction was over three months old and I just thought she wasn't going to bother with feedback... (silly me).. I appreciate all your thoughts. It really does help me get past this. Hugs.

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Vicki

That is absolutely terrible!

I too have just looked at your bears and they are wonderful  bear_wub The fact that you have received negative feedback despite the fact that you have offered a return and refund makes my blood boil! 
Please don't feel disheartened, we all still love your bears  :lol:

Hugs

lisa x

Juneau, Alaska

Thank you, Lisa  bear_original  My blood is starting to simmer down a bit, thanks to the feedback (I hate that word) from you guys. Love you all  bear_wub

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Vicky,

Coincidentally I was looking at your Etsy shop yesterday, because I really like Elliot.  :love:
I had a look at all the other bears and the first thing (well, after checking the adoption fee and the size) is what material the bears is made from.
All your descriptions clearly state from what kind of fur the bear is made. In this case it's even mentioned in the title! You have to be a nitwit (pardon my French) not to notice that.  :mad:
If you are going to spend $ 100 on a teddy bear, surely you are going to read the description carefully.
Moreover I have read her negative feedback and it clearly states that it was HER MISTAKE! "I didn'y (sic) pay close enough attention to notice that it wasn't made out of mohair." "Hopefully I will be paying closer attention next time and not waste my hard earned money on Plush!"   :o
Whether she thinks the bear is too expensive for a plush bear is neither here nor there and shouldn't affect her feedback.
Anyone who reads this feedback will realize that it's the buyer's own mistake and certainly not yours; so I shouldn't let it bother you too much.
And for what it's worth, I think your bears are adorable (mohair or plush) and hope to have in my hug soon!  bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

So sorry, Vicki, that this person chose to be rude and negative about a transaction that was entirely her mistake.  Really wish that people would take some time to think seriously about situations like these before they convey messages that can't be taken back . . . messages that criticize and give others 'black marks' unjustly.  Hugs.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

Vicky, it must have felt awful. I know it would make me feel awful, especially if it was somebody directing their anger to me for something it was their fault. Some people are so unfair, and stupid....I always hope my turn doesn't come, but I know it will eventually. bear_sad
It is a pity that we cannot leave an answer to negative feedback, it would just be fair.
A big hug

Juneau, Alaska

Thanks Peter, Sue Ann and Francy. All of this "teddy talk" has helped me to feel a bit better about all of this. I appreciate your stopping by my shop and checking things out, Peter. Thanks for the compliments on my bears. Sue Ann, you are so sweet for taking the time to respond to this. Constructive criticism can always be used, but this is a bit different.  And dear Francy, I HOPE "your turn" never comes to pass.  bear_wub

Juneau, Alaska

Dear Pink, you just made me cry (in a good way).  bear_innocent

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Well the thing is that really she ought to be told that more often than not plush fabrics are equally if not more expensive than mohair...so it's a bit of a silly thing to say. The bear does not look anything other than a quality bear, well designed and well made. I sell my plush bears for as much if not more...why because its harder to sew and takes me longer..and is more expensive to start with ...so she's wrong.
Also she is wrong to do that to you 3 months after the purchase date. That's just unkind and unfair.
But don't worry....hard as it is to deal with no-one will take it seriously because its her own fault really. It's there in black and white...and for every person who doesn't like plush there are 5 that do...it's more and more popular now.
Very sad when people do that rather than contact you first to thrash it out!

Juneau, Alaska

It's true, Jenny. I love working with certain plush's and faux furs... they can make the expression on a bear different than that of mohair. Anyway, I appreciate your words.  bear_wub

nettie scotland
Website

That must have been so frustrating for you.She was very unfair .
I have never had negative feedback but did have a lady ask for a refund as the four inch bear she bought on ebay was only four inches high???I was so cross as she e-mailed saying it was gorgeous but just so tiny.Im pretty sure four inches here is the same elsewhere.It was too late to sell a christmas bear by the time I got it back and I was cross and frustrated just like you.I hope you dont have any more numpty (a scottish word for silly people) for a long long time if ever .xxx

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

If it wasn't so awful, Diane, that would be funny....some people are really strange aren't they!

Juneau, Alaska

Well, it just goes to show, Diane/Jenny .... some people really just "don't" read the description .. sadly for those of us on the other end..hum...

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

Try not to worry about it! When I looked at your Etsy page, all I see are amazing bears. In her feedback, she is kind of blaming herself, so to be honest she's the one who looks a bit silly, as its taken her until now to say. I bet she was having a  bad day when she wrote it, and the fact she wont reply to you shows you she loves it or she would ask for a refund. Like Jenny said sometimes plush is more expensive than mohair... The way I look at it, you can't please everyone 100% all the time. Just keep making those wonderful bears! Surely it doesn't matter what a bear is made from, it's their eyes and faces that say hug me!
Helen xx

Juneau, Alaska

That is sweet of you, Helen. All the comments here have helped me "get over this" little bump in my teddy bear life. Way too sensitive sometimes.   bear_rolleyes

Juneau, Alaska

The rest of the story!

Today I went to my little Etsy store (that I have all but emptied out) and saw that my feedback was back to 100%. The lady who left me negative feedback reversed her negative into a positive. She didn't realize what an effect it had on a shopowner. She was under the impression that only the seller could see the feedback and had no idea it actually lowered a person's rating. My heart skipped a beat when I saw my feedback changed back to 100%. I know it seems like such a little thing, but it really does affect the way people perceive a business. Thank all of you for your support through this. Once more, I believe in the power of positive thinking and teddy bear love!  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Outstanding - good for you!

Needle Arts Needle Arts by Valerie
Advance IN

That is great!

Board footer