Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Hi guys! Long time no post. Not that it's stopped my brain from thinking about what animals I want to sew and how I can joint them with armatures. But this particular question is about fur and how best to trim it.

I've bought some lovely rusty red fur that's very long and fluffy. Perfect for a fox tail but not for the body. As I want to have the same red used for both, what would be the best way to 'shave down' some of the fur for the body pieces?

Obviously I want it to look even and not choppy. I was considering borrowing my brother's hair trimmer (one of those ones with the interchangeable blade guards so you can limit how short you cut). Has anyone else tried this? Or is there a better way?

Needle Arts Needle Arts by Valerie
Advance IN

Hi kirstie  the key to trimming hair is to go with the dirrection of the hair to keep from leaving scissor/trimmer marks  the gaurd is helpful.  Practice on some scraps so you get familar with the look it leaves, with either tool. Hope this  helps.

Needle Arts Needle Arts by Valerie
Advance IN

Also if your wanting to make a fox, the way I read your post, it might be fun to keep the legs a bit longer where the real foxes have it longer on the backs of the front legs and hind legs. Around the neck/chest area also. Just some ideas passing thru  bear_original

Kirstie_DDB Posts: 85

Good point about following the nap of the fur. Will definitely practice on a small section. And yeah, want to give him a nice fluffy neck and chest, with the shorter fur more on his back and sides. I'll be looking at lots of photos as I design this. bear_original

Board footer