Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Has anyone had a "potential buyer"  ask what the reserve price is on an auction?  I have received two emails from a guy from Singapore.  The first time he wanted to know shipping costs (which was fine) and also what the price of my bear would be if he didn't want to go through bidding.  The question wasn't clear, but I thought he might be asking the reserve price in a round about way, or could have been asking for a sale outside of ebay.   Anyway, I gave him a shipping estimate and told him I couldn't give him a purchase price during an active auction. 

I just received another email from him specifically asking what the reserve price is.  I have looked on ebay and found nothing that says you cannot give out this information, so I think it's allowed.  I'm also wondering if I should give it out even if it is allowed?  It sounds like he is very interested, so I want to handle this right.  Any suggestions? 

Help please!
bear_wub
Tracy

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Hi Tracey,

There actually is a rule about not releasing the reserve price during an active auction.  Ebay will also pull a listing if you state it anywhere in your listing...I know from personal experience.   However, I know people do it all the time and I admit that I have revealed it towards the end of an auction before but my normal practice is to just say that in order to keep the bidding fair I choose not to reveal the reserve price or something similar.

Good Luck!!!

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Hi Tracy,I don't have time to go into detail but please just be carefull. I do tell my "Known" customers the reserve but a question about selling the bear out right and not finishing the auction should set up alarm bells. The place (Singapore) is not an indication of  fraud but I did have a shady inquiry from there before. Please be careful.The other girls will probably answer soon but I just wanted to let you know to be careful as it doesn't sound totally right to me. :hug:

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Be very careful honey,

As far as the rules, i haven't got a clue.....but if it is giving you the slightest feeling of being off and your intuition is giving you hesitation pay close attention. 

If he is really interested he will bid.

if he wants to buy another bear not on auction be sure the money is in your paypal account and cleared and you can move it into another account before you ship your little bearykins...

suspicious?

me?

you betcha!  But you worked too hard to make your bear to have someone try a backdoor way to get cheaper pricing or free.....there are so many scams.

And whats the point of paying for reserve pricing if you tell anyone.  It is your protection so that you don't have a $500 bear go for peanuts.

so be very careful.... bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York

You should give this information (the reserve).  I don't think it's meant to be a secret, and in fact, lots of folks add what their reserve is in their description.  It likely means he's seriously looking at your bear.

However, you cannot ... I don't think ... make a private sale during an active auction.  I would think Ebay might think you were trying to avoid final value fees. 

Edit 1:  Hmm ... I'll do some digging.  Never heard of a rule forbidding the reveal of a reserve.
Edit 2:  http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/lis … serve.html  Nothing in there about not telling the reserve if someone asks.

Dilu ~ You would pay for reserve pricing to make sure you do not have to sell your item for lower than you want, as you said, but ALSO want to set a low starting bid.  http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/reserve.html

Having said all that ... Singapore inquiries should be treated carefully.

Iowa
Website

Thanks for the quick feedback gals!  Here's the actual emails copied and pasted.  Maybe my intuition is trying to tell my something--I do feel a little uneasy about this! bear_sad 

Dilu, you're right that if he is sincerely interested he will bid! 

Aack!  I can see already that listing on ebay can cause serious hair pulling (and potential resulting baldness)! bear_grin

Hi i just happen to come across your bear and i'm interested in this bear.I wonder how much to adopt him if i don't want to go thru bidding and the shipping charges to Singapore.Hope to hear soon .Tks.

Regards

Kenneth

Hi i would like to know the reserve for this bear.Hope to hear soon.Tks.
Regards
Kenneth

bear_wub
Tracy

Willamette Valley Oregon

Here's a link to reserve price policies...

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/reserve.html

I did not read through all the links.  I state that it is a violation because I listed in small print at the bottom of one of my pre-bear days the reserve price I had on an item and within a few hours my listing had been pulled and got the usual ebay form letter that specifically said it was a violation of the listing policy for reserve items to reveal your  reserve price because it gives another bidder at unfair advantage, etc., etc.

My personal opinion...it's really not fair to other bidders who don't know your reserve...but that's me and as I said I have been known to reveal it towards the end of an auction.

Shantell

Iowa
Website

Deb--thanks so much for digging also  bear_wub .  I found the same info, and it made me wonder if I should just go ahead and give him the reserve.  I think though, that since these inquiries came from Singapore, and this buyer has not got many feedbacks in ebay, that I will just tell him what Shantell suggested--it wouldn't be fair to other bidders.  I would have to put the price in my auction for all bidders, and I think that defeats the purpose a little bit.

Shantell--Thanks!  I'm going to use that!  bear_grin 

bear_wub
Tracy

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The trouble with giving out your reserve is that what then can happen is that you then make precious little more than your reserve. If you tell someone the reserve  they then wait till the last minute and bid the reserve and get the item. ( I have doen this myself many times)..which means that you don't get people placing bids till the end...whereas if you don't tell what your reserve is and people want the bear they will bid till the reserve is reached...so encouraging others to bid.

It's s difficult one because if your reserve is the bare minimum you want for the item you may be cutting off your nose to spite your face by revealing it. That has happened to me....and I won't do it again.

The brave guys go in with no reserve ...but you could always have a starting bid of what your reserve would be.

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Hi Tracy

I got this email yesterday via ebay for an auction that ended last night

Hi i would like to know if there is a reserve for his bear and the shipping to singapore?Hope to hear soon.Tks.
Regards
Kenneth

I told him there was no reserve and confirmed the shipping costs, he didn't bid though.

mmmmmm......could be genuine . Just wonder how many others have had requests.

:hug:

nettie scotland
Website

I tell regulars my reserve but haven't been asked much.I start my auction at the minimum I would take which seems much easier.
I send a lot of bears to Singapore and so far have had no problems.This guy could be genuine and new to ebay.
I also get lots of request to sell privately and end an auction which is a complete no no.
Stay calm and go with the safe option.Just tell him he'll have to bid a bit more and find out.If he wants the bear he will .
Diane xxx

Iowa
Website

Hey, I just looked really close at this guy's feedback on ebay, and I believe that he is legitimate and is probably bear shopping.  It looks like he sent a similiar email to Kate as he did to me.  He hasn't bid on my auction yet, either. 

I had thought about answering him with the reserve and posting it on my auction, but I did decide not to let my reserve be known after reading what Jenny had to say--thanks Jenny!  I appreciate the personal experience you shared bear_original  Anyway, I ended up just thanking him for his interest in my bear and that I regretfully could not give him my reserve as it wouldn't be fair to other bidders. 

Whew....that's settled.  I feel better now!

Thanks gals!
bear_wub
Tracy

Deb,

Maybe I was clumsy in how I said it.  I understand the reserve is to protect the seller from giving it away...so to speak.  But I am sure you have seen bids go while trying to find the reserve?  So aren't you shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak, if you tell the reserve?  If that is the case why not make it the starting price?  i guess I am confused on that issue.

It helps to see bidding going on...when no bidding at all happens then others coming along are more likely to skip and go on to the next bear?  so psychologically speaking paying for the reserve, and keeping it private, doesn't that help you in the long run?

At least since I have started watching in the last 6 months it seems the more bids, even those fishing for the bottom, ( reserve) price the more hits the bear has and the more interest generated?

I'm not sure.

I can also see that if an artist named Deb, who has clients who are regulars and wish to know so that they aren't wasting a lot of time, wants to tell them privately, I can see how it would build better rapport between the Artist, Deb and her clients.

The psychology behind e-bay absolutely fascinates me-and trying to completely understand the bidding reasons and why and wherefores could be the makings of a Master's thesis. 

I guess the most important thing is that Miss Tracy be safe from scams and happy in her sale.

Keep us posted, Tracy, in what you decide and how it works out for you!

dilu

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I do hope you will be very cautious. I too received a similar email after my auction ended. many times these are scams and I would be very suspicious. many times they have you stop your auction with a promise of a quick sale, then offer to send a money order. They send the money order made out for an amount way more than your item, then want you to refund the difference. Then after they get the refund amount you never hear from them again. Then within a week or so you find out the money order that you deposited in your account is fake and you are out that amount plus the money you "refunded" to them. At least that is just one of the many many scams going on. That is why ebay is always reminding you not to enter into an agreement outside of ebay.
It may be legit, but if you have that funny feeling about it, listen to your feelings. They are usually right.
Sonya

Deb Upstate New York
Dilu wrote:

So aren't you shooting yourself in the foot, so to speak, if you tell the reserve?

Never ... just my opinion.  In fact, I welcome the question.  If John Doe wants to buy my widget or bear or whatever, he now knows what my bottom line is.  If he waits until two seconds before the auction ends to place his bid ... hooray for him and hooray for me.  Hooray for him because he probably won it.  Hooray for me because it sounds like it wouldn't have sold anyway had he not just bid the reserve.

Jenny wrote:

The trouble with giving out your reserve is that what then can happen is that you then make precious little more than your reserve. If you tell someone the reserve  they then wait till the last minute and bid the reserve and get the item.

Jenny wrote:

..whereas if you don't tell what your reserve is and people want the bear they will bid till the reserve is reached..

Exactly!  This is a very GOOD thing IF you have set your reserve at the amount you want, rather than your bare minimum.  Just because the reserve is met is no guarantee the bidding will go up, and once that reserve is met, that baby is sold.  Don't shoot yourself in the foot by setting your reserve too low.

It's all a matter of personal opinion and comfort level.  I sell like I bid I guess.  I don't watch continually, i.e., don't keep looking back to see if the reserve is met.  If I know the reserve of the item I want, then I know the price I have to meet or beat.  I have the information I need to decide if I should stop watching NOW, because $15M is out of my range, or if I should come back to battle it out at the end.  I tend not to set reserves, or watch items that have them.  If I ask for one, I normally say something like "I've been watching your auction.  Would you share your reserve please?  I understand perfectly if you'd rather not.  Thanks."  If I don't have the information I need to manage my time, I can live without the item I figure.

I also don't think that sharing the reserve gives unfair advantage to anyone ... cuz anyone is free to ask. 

Dilu wrote:

so psychologically speaking paying for the reserve, and keeping it private, doesn't that help you in the long run?

I don't see it.  Again, just an opinion. 

Dilu wrote:

I guess the most important thing is that Miss Tracy be safe from scams and happy in her sale.

Agreed, and that's fact.

Willamette Valley Oregon

This was just bugging the heck out of me.  I really appreciate your point of view Deb and made me rethink it a bit.  So....I went to Ebay's live help...here's the transcript of my conversation.  It should hopefully clarify the question for anyone in the future.

Here's the transcript of your conversation
Your chat session started.

Here's the transcript of your conversation
Your chat session started.

shanternelli:  What is Ebay's policy on revealing your reserve price to a potentional bidder who emails you asking the reserve price?

Jayson I.:  Hello and welcome to eBay Live Chat. My name is Jayson and I invite you to please share your feedback with me about our chat today by filling out a brief survey when we are finished. I apologize for the delay. Thanks for waiting. Please give me a moment to review your question.

Jayson I.:  It's not unusual for Sellers to receive email from potential Bidders inquiring about the reserve amount. This happens quite frequently. Please know that they've done nothing wrong by contacting you with their queries.

Jayson I.:  Likewise, a Seller wouldn't be breaking any rules if they decided to reveal their reserve price to this Bidder.

shanternelli:  Really...a year or so ago I had a listing pulled because I made a note of it at the bottom on my listing in small print. I was told it was a violation and I've seen people put it in their listings to please not ask because it was an Ebay violation. Has this change recently?

Jayson I.:  We haven't made any recent changes, but the reserve price is allowed to be disclosed through email correspondence
shanternelli:  Thanks Jayson....I appreciate the clarification. Goodbye

Jayson I.:  .You're very welcome. It's always my pleasure to help out.

Jayson I.:  Is there anything else I may help you with?

You ended your chat session.

See...what do I know...  bear_wacko   bear_wacko

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I had this happen before and the person wanted me to end the auction and offered to buy my bear off of ebay.. I told them I could not do that because the bidding was in progress and I didn't want to disappoint my bidders..  Turns out the person didn't want to go as high as the reserve anyway...

Deb  Thanks!  There is so much to learn and i am coming into the game late, so you have given me ideas and better understanding.

Shantell
  What a sweetie you are posting the whole conversation.  It helped me understand better and with Debs insights I  feel better prepared and informed.  There is an awful lot of experience on this board, and for those of us who aren't experienced it is really helpful!

Thank you everyone....

dilu

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Ok that clarifies.  I was always worried abut revealing my reserve.
Thanks Now I know I can reveal.

Deb Upstate New York

Thank you Shantell ... and it sounds like you may have had a LIVE one chatting with you!
:clap:

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thanks Denise i just sat down to see if this guy who calls him self Kenneth, has email me again he contacted me three time wanting to buy my bear and wanted to know how much if he good have it now so i just put a buy it now price on so if he really wants it why dosent he just buy it ,but he  keeps emailing me about cheaper prices and he wants three dress but he wants a special ,i think this man is a nutter He wanted the christernig dress so i place a buy it now and now he wants a cheaper price i am going to watch this guy and be very careful i have no bidds on anything so there is nothing stopping he buying if him is for real

Willamette Valley Oregon

You are all very welcome.  I was happy to share what I learned.  It was always my understanding that they considered it a violation...I was wrong...AGAIN!!   But please don't tell my children.   bear_grin

Kate  OOOOOOh your big guy in your avatar is so adorable and fun at the same time...wonderful!

Tracy  Well, if you do go baold from pulling out your hair, (which by the way has an actual psych diagnosis and the 'tech' word for it is Trichotilomania....I know you guys think I'm joking around....) you could make a fetching little bonnet out of mohair, and be warm and fashionable....at least we would think it fashionable

Well, I guess listing on e-bay is an adventure....

dilu

Iowa
Website

Dilu  I would make myself a mohair toupee for every day of the week, each in a different color and style!! bear_laugh  bear_laugh  ( You know, I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have a few other "mania's" as well! hee hee! )

bear_wub
Tracy

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

Oh well, at least if I get any more emails now from this particular person, I will be very cautious.

Dearest Dilu ...Thank you for your kind words. The fella you referred to was Nutley who now resides in the USA.  bear_original  It's funny you should mention Trichotilomania. One of the reasons I've not been around so much lately is because I need constant supervision of my 5 year old who it is thought may have this condition. Never thought it would come up on this board though!!!LOL   Her problem is with eyelashes. At one point she pulled them all out but we have been putting a plan in place and to date she has done so well and about 80% have grown back.

We have to go back and see the hospital next month but I think we may have finally cracked it....hurrah bear_original  At one point  there I was nearly pulling my own hair out with frustration! bear_sad

Board footer