Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

momofjjb Posts: 2

bear_original Hello,

I would love to find someone in Central Pennsylvania who might be willing to teach me the basics of bear making.  Maybe some tricks that come with experience.  I have some books and am getting supplies now, but am brand new to this art form. I've done custom dolls, I sew, quilt, knit, etc already.  I'm in Huntingdon. If anyone is interested in offering some lessons, please drop me a note. thanks. I look forward to hearing from someone. Tracy.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hope you find someone Tracy  bear_thumb

What a great idea!

Penny - i'm in Hertfordshire, UK if anyone wants to get together with me - probably would'nt learn a lot but we'd have a good laugh!

momofjjb Posts: 2

thank you. I hope so too. I learned to spin from someone I found on the Internet several years ago who was close by.  She is now a dear friend.  We've had a lot of fun together.  I am hoping I can find some teddy people to do the same thing with.  Crafting is more fun with another person and it's always so nice to be able to show each other what you've completed.  I hope you find someone close by too to play with :o). Tracy.

Deb Upstate New York

Anyone know if there is a beginner class at TBU? 

Tracy, if you find a good book, it's not that difficult to teach yourself really.  Ten bucks says more than 3/4 of the folks here are self-taught.  If you can't find anyone near you, don't be afraid to take the plunge.

My beginner book was The ABC's of Making Teddy Bears by Linda Mead.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156477 … e&n=283155

:hug:
Welcome to TT.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Hi Again Tracy,
I'm glad you took my suggestion to check out  Teddy Talk.  This is such a WONDERFUL place with very knowledgable people, and a quite a few funny gals ( Hi Penny !) .  As Deb said I think perhaps a lot of us are self-taught, some new and some have been at bear making for quite awhile.   Feel free to ask ANY questions here and someone always seems have the answers. I think Nancy  Tiilberg at North Country Teddy Bears offers an online beginner course too.   I hope you find someone here that you can actually get together with, it is more fun that way.    :hug:

Deb Upstate New York

YUP ... http://www.kranbearys.com/Beginner%20Bear.htm

Beginner Bear Class.  If I had started out with this class I could have saved myself hours and hours of agonizing research and a couple costly boo-boos!

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

Penny - i'm in Hertfordshire, UK if anyone wants to get together with me - probably would'nt learn a lot but we'd have a good laugh!

Gosh, would love to, but my flight leaves for Oregon in an hour.  Another time perhaps.
bear_tongue

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Deb?  Oregon?  As in, Portland, Oregon?   bear_original  bear_original

Tracy,  bear_flower
If only you lived on the west coast!  I love teaching!  I wish I could find someplace around here that would welcome a class on making teddy bears.  Perhaps I should just teach one here in the studio!  Let's see, where on my plate could I fit that?   :doh:

Best wishes for your search for a teacher.  I'm sure there must be someone over in your neck of the woods willing to share a bit of themselves.   bear_original

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Tracy, come to New Hampshire..... I'm teaching a great beginner class in May... it'll be beautiful weather for a drive!!! Or take the train... I'll pick you up!

Have you checked our user map to see who lives in PA that might know of a place you could take a class? I know Kim Bee lives in PA somewhere..... On the menu bar that goes across the top of this page click on USER MAP then navigate the map, zooming in on PA.

Only suggestion I have at the moment if you don't want to come to NH!  bear_grin

Deb Upstate New York
Aleta - The Silly Bear wrote:

Deb?  Oregon?  As in, Portland, Oregon?   bear_original  bear_original

Have you not been following the posts?  Well ... I'll bring you up to speed soon as I get there.   What's for dinner?
:twisted:

Back Off Deb - Aleta is mine!  bear_laugh

I can fly warp speed or just get beamed over there to Oregon cos i'm really a member of the Bearship Enterprise (the real one, not the plastic one used in Bear Trek) and i'll get Scotty on the case asap!

Am i going quietly mad do you think? Mybe not so quietly - but definitely MAD!

Penny - woooooo woooooo, woooo woooo woooo woooo wooooo (it's supposed to be the theme tune)

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
Daphne wrote:

Have you checked our user map to see who lives in PA that might know of a place you could take a class? I know Kim Bee lives in PA somewhere..... On the menu bar that goes across the top of this page click on USER MAP then navigate the map, zooming in on PA.

I am in Berks County... I don't know if I am "qualified" to instruct anyone yet... I just started making bears less than a year ago...

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

Back Off Deb - Aleta is mine!  bear_laugh

I can fly warp speed or just get beamed over there to Oregon cos i'm really a member of the Bearship Enterprise (the real one, not the plastic one used in Bear Trek) and i'll get Scotty on the case asap!

Am i going quietly mad do you think? Mybe not so quietly - but definitely MAD!

Pfff!  She's probably turning down my bed and putting CHOCCIES on the pillow right this very minute!

You've got it coming young lady  :twisted:

You are just winding me up now Deb - there is NO WAY that Aleta will be feeding you choccy cos she knows you turn into a gremlin when you get fed after 12.

As for turning down the bed - you'll be sleeping in a tent at the bottom of her garden, so there!!!!!

She loves ME bestest of all cos i'm gorgeous  bear_innocent   bear_rolleyes   bear_whistle

Perfect Pen  bear_wub

Deb Upstate New York
gotobedbears wrote:

You've got it coming young lady  :twisted:

You are just winding me up now Deb - there is NO WAY that Aleta will be feeding you choccy cos she knows you turn into a gremlin when you get fed after 12.

As for turning down the bed - you'll be sleeping in a tent at the bottom of her garden, so there!!!!!

She loves ME bestest of all cos i'm gorgeous  bear_innocent   bear_rolleyes   bear_whistle

Perfect Pen  :love:

Thankfully it's only 7:29 here in Portlalnd. 
a080.gif

I felt sorry for you after you were telling about the smelly public bathrooms in London. I was gonna share the room with you, but ... well I just don't know now.
Let me think ...  a015.gif.

OKAY ... you can come a020.gif, but you have to be nice and not make me sleep in a tent. :hug:

:twisted:  You Cheeky Piece  :twisted:

a080.gif to you too!!!!!

Are you incinerating that i'm smelly Wickedy Deb????

I bet Aleta won't let you come now cos you is rude to people a080.gif

YAH BOO SUCKS TO YOU a080.gifa080.gif

And i stole your smiley - nah nah nah nah nah  bear_tongue

Perfect Pen  bear_innocent

Deb Upstate New York

Nooooooooooo!  I wouldn't do that.  Was referring to your post at Will anybody be reporting from Hugglets??

You absolutely crack me up woman!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

You two are soooooooo cute!  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_wacko

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Penny is going to take over everyone's posts from here on, I can tell!!!!  :twisted:   :twisted:

I think Pen Pen needs more attention or something to do!!!! I've got some bunnies you could help me with, Penny!!!

Kim... I just thought that perhaps you might KNOW of some place that offered bear making classes or something. You know enough of the basics to get someone started, I bet.  bear_happy

Y'all have fun at Aleta's.... I'll be at Tami's!!! I had hubby look at the photos of her room... asked him if my room could ever look like that. His response was sort of like 'Yeah, in your dreams!' That's all the challenge I need! Once these bunnies and my backed up orders are done its reorganize time!!! Wonder if I'll make enough $$ off these bunnies to pay Tami to come over and help me???!!!  bear_whistle

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I don't know of any places... I learned by myself, through books and through you gals bear_original

Penny is going to take over everyone's posts from here on, I can tell!!!!  :twisted:  :twisted:     

I think Pen Pen needs more attention or something to do!!!! I've got some bunnies you could help me with, Penny!!!

Aw Daph, i'd love to come and help you with your bunnies but i'm tooo busy taking over the world ha ha ha

Surely you would'nt want to deprive a lonely old lady of her TT chat time??  bear_rolleyes

Penny  bear_tongue

Deb Upstate New York
kbonsall wrote:

I am in Berks County...

Kim ~ Then there's a Mechanicsburg way over near the Ohio border ... I didn't know until I got out my trusty map (program) to see how far she might be from Reading that there was another Mechanicsburgh in PA.

Speaking of Reading, is it still the great shopping area it was years ago.  I remember loading up in the car and driving to Reading to shop a couple times a year.  Do you head down to the King of Prussia mall to shop?  I stopped just once on my way home from Philly.  Shopped for three hours and never got out of the first store.  The place is huge.  Lucky girl!  AND no sales tax on clothing.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Yep... I am not in the city of Reading, one of the little places outside bear_original  I LOVE the King of Prussia Mall!!! It is HUGE... probably bigger than you remember... It has stores like most of us are use to like Old Navy and also has designer stores like Tiffany's and Diesel.... There are actually TWO malls there... When I go down, I usually make a day of it bear_original  It is only about  a 30-45 drive for me bear_original

About the shopping in Reading.. there arent any shopping stores there anymore really, just mom and pop stores... We now have a place in the city where there are concerts (the Sovereign Center) ... they have done a couple things to "revitalize"... There aren't really any of the outlets in town anymore...

Deb Upstate New York

I'd love to take my daughter for a weekend of shopping.  What a fun place!  I'll give you a call and you can come meet us for dinner! 
:dance:  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I wanna come too!!! Shopping in King of Prussia is awesome.. especially with pals!!! Haven't been for a few years... I'm due for a fix!!!

Board footer