Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi,

I'm trying to get my ATC's sorted and want to add an eyelet but i don't know how to attach them or what tool i would need and what size of eyelet to use etc etc.

Does anyone know anything about them and do the fancy shaped one's work okay too?

Penny - eyeless and clueless  bear_wacko   bear_whistle

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Penny, I've used an eyelet tool before.  It looks like a straight rod of metal with a special tip that's designed to fit inside the hole of the eyelet, without damaging the eyelet itself.  You basically "hammer" the tool straight down onto the eyelet, with the cardstock and eyelet on a hammer-proof surface! -- and then the backside of the eyelet, which is scored into four pieces or so, "splays" out and flattens as a result of the hammering, thus attaching it to the paper.

Oh, and you generally need to punch a hole in your paper first, into which you actually insert the eyelet, before hammering.

There may be newer or different versions of eyelet tools but this is how I used to do it, with the eyelet tool I purchased, a while back.

Thanks Shelli - sounds like a recipe for a disaster!

Hitting things hard with a hammer especailly when they have a sharp tip!!!!

I'd better book in to the ER in advance  bear_tongue   bear_laugh

Penny  bear_wub

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Eylets.jpgPenny, this is what I use .  Sounds pretty much the same as Shelli's tool.  Mine came with 3 different nib sizes that screw into the silver tool.  It's easy as long as you don't hammer too hard and flatten the nice side of the eyelet too ( speaking from experience) !!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Be careful.....you could poke an eye out with that!!   bear_happy

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

Oooo, tammy... Loving your tags with the paper punched corners....  very nice and elegant...

Penny, I thought it'd be hard or dangerous til I used it, then I realized, "This is simple!!" lol

Kimberly W.

Thanks Girls - i shall browse eBay later and see what's on offer.

That is a lovely tag Tammy, please don't tell me you cut out all the little fancy bits by hand - i could'nt bear the thought of doing that! Or maybe a punch? That sounds easier to me.........something else to look out for on eBay for!

Erin - i promise i won't mix punching with alcohol or if i do - i'll wear a full face crash helmet and body armour
bear_laugh

Aleta - i'll add goggles to that too just in case  bear_tongue

Perhaps i'll get El Tel to do it? Yeah, that sounds even better! And i'll get George to peel me a grape and Brad to rub me feet hahahahahahahh
bear_tongue   bear_grin   bear_laugh   bear_whistle

Penny  bear_wub

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Twirl-ATC.jpgTammy, I think that is the same corner punch I used on my ATC for PIROUETTE!  Check it out!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

SHEL, YOUR ATC IS BEAUTIFUL!! I knew it would be though bear_original I think I need to get working on that

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Adoption-Tag.jpg

Tammy, I think that is the same corner punch I used on my ATC for PIROUETTE!  Check it out!

No Shelli, I cut mine out by hand like Penny said.  I want to be just like you and Aleta and make such beautiful cards.    Ok.........so it is a paper punch.  I'm not that creative ! It is an elegant punch though, and there were actually 3 designs on the same punch. 

My card is actually a thank-you card I just started attaching to packaging for my bears.  It's the first thing the buyer sees when they remove all the bubble wrap.  I write a personal note on the back.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

What a great idea!  So personalized and pretty.  Nice taste in corner punches too, by the way...

bear_original  bear_tongue  bear_original

BearBottoms 'Bear' Bottoms Originals
Ft. Bragg, NC

OK, what's an ATC?  I am a dork...

Kimberly W.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Penny, don't let them scare you. I've got an eyelet tool that looks like a pair of scissors. I got it from a harware store. Easy. Goes with single malt . . . ah, the 16 Men of Tain  bear_wub

Eileen

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA AHAHAHAAHH EILEEN!!!!!  bear_laugh

I must look out for one of those scissor type things then - i can still booze it up and create too!
bear_laugh   bear_grin

Hoe you doin anyways Eileen - long time no chat  :hug:

Penny x

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

BearBottoms wrote:

OK, what's an ATC?  I am a dork...

Kimberly W.

Artist Trading Card.  Check out  http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=4607.

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Hey Penny

See if you can pick up a Zision Silent Setter by Provo Craft This brand is great - no hammers - which is much better for my thunbs - i don't need alcohol to impair my technical skills!!!   You twist to set and the tip is magnetised so you can fit the hole punches and different tips on the end.  I have one of the scissor type ones too but it doesn't fit the cute tiny eyelets that you will find in the scrapbooking shops.  I did a google UK search for you and it looks like there are quite a few holders

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q= … CcountryGB

That sounds great Melissa but i just bought an ordinary eyelet setter and some eyelets on eBay.

I shall see how i get on with it - maybe i'll get some thumb protectors just in case! ouch!  bear_rolleyes

Penny  :hug:

I must be going dooooooolally Melissa - i DID buy a 'hammerless' eyelet setter not the dangerous take-your-eye-out kind!

Maybe i'm too far gone to even be trusted with a hammerless one?  bear_wacko

Penny x

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

glad you'll be safe from yourself Penny!   bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin 

Looking forward to seeing your creations.  I haven't even started yet  bear_ermm  though I did spend too much money at the scrapbook shop the other day buying little bits and pieces.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

OH MY! I should have asked the eyele question! I have a scrapbooking tool kit that I bought and I thought those things in your pic, Tammy, were the hole punches... I am confused now! Maybe I should take a pic of my tools and you gals can tell me what they are and how to use them LOL

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I love the corner punch - really elegant!  Now another thing to add to my "must have" list! LOL.
                                                 Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Brenda, you sound like me! I am going to the store tomorrow and have a whole list of scrapbooking items to get!!!  bear_laugh

Board footer