Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

ammorgan14 Posts: 3

Hello all. I am desperately seeking information on a bear that my sister-in-law had since she was a child and still loves it dearly bear_wub . She is now having a baby of her own and I would love to locate the same bear as a gift for the baby.

The only history I have is that her mother bought it from JC Penny in 1987. She named it Brown so I am not sure if that may have been part of the product name for the bear or something. Since she loves the bear so much her love has worn down the bear's appearance a bit. I have added 2 pictures (which unfortunately aren't too clear) with hopes that it will help in locating this sweet, sweet bear bear_flower .

Thanks to all in advance for anything and everything you could provide bear_original .

1366227418_brown_bear_body.jpg
1366227452_brown_bear_face.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Search ebay for unjointed teddy bears such as this one: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1960s-Pedigre … 2c6c95bd9f

Just be aware that vintage bears might not meet today's standards of a child-safe toy. (If it were my niece or nephew, I'd make a basic bear myself and give it an embroidered eyes, nose, and mouth. There are patterns at the fabric store or online.)

Becky

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Such a wonderful Bear!  He looks like he has done yeoman's service looking after his human for all these years.  It's the greatest badge of honor that any Teddy Bear can hope to receive.

I think it's great that you want to carry on the tradition!  However, I don't know if you'll be able to find one exactly like him.  I'm sure his tags are all worn off by now.  Unless you can find a tag or a remnant of one, I don't know that you will be able to pin down his pedigree, exactly.

The problem is that so many companies spring up to produce Teddy Bears then, after a few years, they either go out of business or change to a different product line.  Even long-standing Teddy Bear companies like Gund change their designs from year to year.  A Bear that Gund made last year will not be produced this year.  That's part of their marketing strategy.  Sometimes, they even produce limited editions of only a few Bears which, after they sell out, will not be made again.

I certainly agree that eBay is the place to look.  If it can be found, eBay or similar sites will have something.

If you can't do that, the next best thing is to have a Bear made to be just like him.  IF that's something you want to do, I think you're in the right place!  bear_original  We've got lots of Teddy Bear makers right here.  Just get in contact with people and see if you can work something out.  It might not be cheap but I can assure you that the Bearmakers who visit Teddy-Talk are some of the best.  I have bought Bears from Teddy-Talkers and have never been disappointed.  They are all very professional.  Good quality stuff!  (Pun intended!  bear_happy )

ammorgan14 Posts: 3

bear_original Thank you both for the great ideas!! I did look on ebay and found one that I think looks very similar (I attached the pic), although it is hard to tell because I never saw him when he was brand new:( I also love the idea of having one made because like you said US Bears, the likelyhood of finding the same exact bear is not so great, plus if I found one online they would be used and having a fresh new bear would be best! As for the child safety in the bear, I did think about that and was planning to give the bear as a sentimental gift where the little one could play with when they are age appropriate for it.

Thanks again to both of you! I really appreciate the help! I know this would mean sooooo much to my sister-in-law bear_original

1366290341_kgrhqf_qefbfvo4qv4bqr7zmgurw60_1.jpg

Us Bears Pennsylvania

This Bear could be a cousin to your Bear.   bear_smile

Another idea...  Do you have a baby blanket or similar item from when your sister-in-law was young?
If it's still clean and sturdy, have it made into a Bear.  That's becoming a fashion, now.  Making old, sentimental items into Teddy Bears.
Some people even do it with old fur coats.  (Fur Bears aren't baby-safe, though.)

There's nothing wrong with having a Bear as a mascot who sits in the baby's nursery or playroom and watches over his human.  He could sit on the bureau or sit on the shelf and would be quite happy there.

Some Bears are made for hugging and playing.  Some Bears are made to be mascots who sit on the shelf; kings and queens of all they survey.  bear_happy

Board footer