Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Tatty Bears South Australia

Hi all, bear_original
        I would just like to ask if you think fray stopper is really necessary if you blanket stitch the pieces together before sewing like I do?, I have sent a pic so you know what I mean. bear_ermm
I don't use pins as I can't work with them and I am spending a fortune on fray stopper and I hate using it cos its time consuming and makes the fabric stiffer and harder to get the needle in. bear_angry

1372563203_image.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Hi Sheree,

I never use fray check unless I make an errant snip or otherwise compromise the integrity of the fabric. It looks as if you have an adequate seam allowance, and the blanket stitching should definitely keep the pieces where you want them. Were you having trouble with fraying?

Becky

Thanks Becky,
                     I tend to really over stuff my bears, like them firm, I just like to take every precaution I can but was wondering if I was becoming a bit to cautious bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You could be... bear_original I always double-stitch my seams (I machine-sew first on one side, then flip the piece over and repeat on the other side), and I stuff quite firmly with no problems.

Becky

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

I use Fray Check on the seams only where I leave them open to stuff and on the spots where I poke holes for joints.  I whip stitch all my seams by hand first because I find it more accurate than pinning and then I sew them by machine, sometimes, like Becky, twice.  I stuff very firmly, too, with no problems.

I think the reason I have been fray stopping everything is because the very first mohair bear I made I  had a lot of trouble with a very loose weave backing (I was later told that is was a bad batch) after that experience I just automatically fray stopped the rest, but now have got to thinking if I need to.
I am just finishing a bear at the moment, my next one is a larger bear, for me 36cm so I think I try him without fray stop and hope all comes out ok, fingers crossed for me please  bear_grin

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

They're crossed for you, Sheree - Good luck! (I think you'll be fine without the smelly stuff.) bear_original

Becky

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Never use fray stop. I don't think many mohair fabrics fray much. I stay stitch all my openings ...then they don't fray.
Some of the mini  woven faux furs fray ...then I would paint the whole of the backing with a PVA solution ...let it dry...then cut out.

Board footer