Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Hi friends,

I've just bought some old soft toys (elephant, doggy, monkey) on ebay, thinking to give them as toys to  my bigger  bears. Do you think it is a problem if this kind of "accessory" is not hand made by the bearmaker ? I 'm planning to make some toys myself too, but those have a great true antic look :).

Lots of bear hugs,
Marion

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:   I think its a brilliant idea, and one of my older teddy bear magazines features a gal who did just exactly what you're doing.... she has old Steiff toys, and she makes her teds and animals to match the 'accessory'.  It made for a brilliant teaming, and I certainly don't think there is anything wrong with the pairing. 

In fact, Mischief has his very own, very old toy lion that I gave to him.  He doesn't often pose with (because I'm dressing him up!), but I know he likes to hold his own toy  bear_flower

.....PICTURES!!!  We want pictures when you've finished your pairing!!!

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Thanks a lot for your answer, Debbie !  :hug: I now feel confortable with it ! bear_original
I sure will post pictures here when the bears are done (I must wait for the little animals to arrive before making the bears   bear_happy : I've just won them on ebay bear_original ).
Lots of hugs,
Marion bear_original bear_original bear_original

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Marion, I do that sometimes - I am always on the lookout for antique props.  Some customers really like it, and there shouldn't be any problems with using antique props at all.

Hugs,

Brenda

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think bear artist Sue Van Natten has been teaming antique Steiff animals (turtles, bunnies, etc.) with her bears for a few years now.  I read that she found a treasure trove of them and planned a series of bears around them.  So you're in good company on this idea!

Meri Bears (UK) West Sussex, England

This all sounds very enchanting bear_wub

I love to see bears with props and when a bear is teamed with the right item it can work so well.

Can't wait for pics Marion bear_flower

:hug:

nettie scotland
Website

I think vintage toys would team up well with your teddies as they are  very traditional.I have seen quite a few artists sell props along with their creations.As long as you state this in the description it will be fine.Good luck and let us see!!!
Diane
p.s has that poor wee 6 inch bear got arms yet????

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Thanks friends ! bear_original
I think I will try a few pairings, only when it will seem sound bear_original : I do not want to make the same thing as Sue Van Natten : I wouldn't feel comfortable. It will remain exceptional bear_original (and it's better for me to tell myself I must NOT buy hundreds of old soft toys, otherwise I would pass all days on ebay  :doh: :D)

Hugs,
Marion bear_original

PS : Diane : the poor wee 6 inch bear got arms and legs, I'm fixing his ears bear_original. I'm not sure he looks like an Acid Attic bear... I'll make pictures tonight, I promess  ;). His name is Marvin and I think I even prefer  this size to my beloved 9'' ^^.

edit : I think I have a pathological problem with the smileys  :wacko:. I can't write a word without putting a little smiling face  bear_rolleyes ...

edit 2 : it begins badly : I do have this particular Steiff elephant  bear_rolleyes :
vannattan1lg.jpg

Thanks a lot Shelli for letting me know about Sue Van Natten's work ! I would have felt bad when finding her bears after having done mine ! (I think I'll avoid Steiff toys ^^)

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Wow Marion that little Bear with the Steiff Elephant is darling.
We look forward to seeing more of your lovely creations with their antique toys.

Bear hugs
Carolyn
bear_original

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Carolyn : I'm confused, this adorable bear is not mine, it is one of Sue Van Natten's creations... But I've got the same darling little elephant.... :redface:

Pen Pen : What a great trio ! Very complementary ! Thanks for sharing ! :hug:

Lisa : Thanks so much for your kind words ! I always ask myself lots and lots of questions ("would it be bad if... ?", "wouldn't if be offensive to do such or such thing... ?" ) and you sure gave me a wonderful answer for this particular one ! Thanks a lot for sharing your point of view ! bear_original  bear_original
And thanks for your compliment on my face  :redface:... I didn't know I had a Dolly face but this pleases me very much  bear_laugh bear_original bear_original (I've just asked my future hubby if he agrees and he just looked at me without any expression before taking his book again...  bear_rolleyes ).
I permit myself to tell you that you are, as Sue Ann said, a very beautiful woman !  bear_original

Bear hugs, friends, and good night (it's 1.15 a.m here  and I'm not a night owl....;) ),
Marion bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I agree...it's only the same as using an old piece of clothing..or a book ...or a piece of jewellry.

I do think though, back to when I bought an artist bear that had another little bear in it's pocket....I was disappointed when I took the little bear out to find a label on it 'Made in Taiwan'...that was a bit of a shock. This is something I wouldn't do...but golden oldies....they are different.

That said..there is nothing wrong with using a new toy either...you just have to say up front.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Marion i think that is great

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Marion, to address what Jenny and some others have mentioned... just FYI... when I include something in my work that I have flat-out bought, rather than hand-made, I say something like, "Wears a purchased tiara."  That way people know what's of my hand, and what isn't, so you should have no worries there!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

>>>I have noticed a few people on Ebay say their TRADEMARK look...

Exactly, Lisa - TY! What they mean to infer is a 'Signature' look.

I'd be interested in seeing your country's slant on ™, ® and ©. I too am writing an article on the US law as it applies to the work we do.

A quick reference:
© (Copyright) is automatic protection on anything once it's in 'print' form: your beginning sketches to a completed written set of instructions. On paper is the key to its application. You can file for official status for $30, but it must be on each product (i.e., each kit your design) for a legal back-up.

™ (Trademark) means an application has been filed with the USPTO (Patent & Trademark Office), is not to be used until a Serial # has been assigned and keeps that designation until it becomes Registered... or becomes Dead. Which is the opposite of a 'Live' (current) application. It is used to identify a company name.

® (Registered) is the official seal of approval, given by the PTO after the process of TM examination by the PTO determines that this is a registerable name for a company. Sole proprietor through Fortune 500 - they all go through the same process.

A Patent is approval for a 'Process' for creating something: a composition of materials for a nose, Lisa's application of oils and sealers for her masterpiece series of bear bodies, etc.   

Many more ramifications, but that's the gist.

Bobbie

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

GREAT info, Bobbie; thanks for posting!  We've all been a bit befuddled on this stuff for some time, and trying to muddle through.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Lisa wrote:

.....P.S. Don't feel that you cannot team up old Steiffs with your work because another Artist is currently doing it, Artists both dolls and bears have been doing this for years,.....There's nothing wrong with doing this.

Oh I totally agree!!!   I've seen it LOTS of times on eBay and at shows!  And I love Sue's work too... finally got one of my own and put my OWN prop with him  bear_wub

Nicholasville, KY
Website

I just had to add....

I go in spurts of sometimes giving my bears (for adoption) toys or props.  I like to use all types of things... whether they are old stuffed toys or other kinds of things...  I get lots of them from eBay!  Sometimes though... I end up keeping those for myself and my collection... bear_whistle

Here are some examples to give you some ideas.  I know I am a very visual person... once I see pictures then it gets my own creative ideas flowing!

Bearlooms_sled.jpg

1st_bear_w_honey.jpg

Minis_n_camera.jpg

bears-w-dominoes.jpg

bigben1.jpg

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original  Wonderful pix, Laura

Those accessories are very appealing!

Believe it or not, I used to have a Brownie. Does yours still work? It took absolutely clear, razor-sharp photos without a single bell or whistle.

Eileen

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Thanks Eileen!  I have lots of fun doing that :)

I'm not sure if this camera still works or not?  Don't think I could find the film... and if I could... I don't think anyone could process it LOL!

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Thanks to you all, dear friends : you are so supportive and helpful !  bear_wub
I will post more soon : I'm at my parents home with my 2 and 4 years old nephews... Thay are darling but I can't do anything :D.
hugs,
Marion

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Finally revisiting this thread...

I hope I didn't accidentally imply that since Sue Van Natten includes vintage Stieff toys with her bears, that including little animals with your teddies, Steiff or otherwise, should be considered "off limits."  My intent was, rather, to say what I more or less wrote:  That it's a great idea!, which Sue (and others) have done before, and that you'd be in good company if you did this as well!

Just wanted to clarify that, in case someone was interpreting my comments to mean that I thought you should shy away from this really cute idea.

I have a bajillion old teddy bear magazines that I won on eBay when I was starting out and I consult them from time to time; they're treasure troves!  And I can't tell you how many bears with wee critters, including vintage Steiff critters!, I've seen pictured in them.

Sue came to mind because I read her own words on this somewhere -- I think in an article in one of the teddy magazines, last year or the one before -- and she was saying that she had acquired a big ol' quantity of these old Steiffs and was planning an entire range of bears around and featuring them.

I don't ever want to judge, or be perceived as judging, the creative ideas of others.

Thanks for "listening,"

Nicholasville, KY
Website

Shelli.....  :hug:   I didn't take it that way bear_original

Board footer