Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Big on bears Posts: 1

Help, i am an experienced teddy bear maker using mohair I have bought some beautiful synthetic faux fur when I received it I realised the backing is very stretchy any tips on how to keep bears face etc in shape any tips in general on this please help

Elli Posts: 102

Hi and welcome to TT!
Maybe this answers your question:
http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=29571

Good luck!  bear_flower

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

I only use synthetics, you have to be careful to order fur with no stretch!! bear_sad

BooBoo Posts: 153
clwilmot wrote:

I only use synthetics, you have to be careful to order fur with no stretch!! bear_sad

All your gorgeous creations are made with synthetics?? Where do you get such beautiful synthetics? I haven't had much luck finding nice "plushy" ones like you showcase bear_sad . That said I did find a decent faux fur while in another city on the weekend. I just wish I'd bought more of it.

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

thank you!! I use Fabricempire.com and Fabric.com.  These 2 are my favorite!!!  Also to the original question you can line the stretchy fur fabric with muslin.  Cut the pattern out in muslin and fur and that will eliminate the stretch.

timmeh Posts: 4

I find dense faux fur with knit back is fine to use as is.

If you don't want to work around the stretchiness while cutting you can do one of a few things

1) Use iron on stabiliser - low heat, very careful
2) Spray adhesive and cutaway stabiliser or muslin
3) Dissolve a piece of water soluble stabiliser in a small amount of water and paint it onto the backing then allow to dry

Of all these 3 is the method I use most often as I find it the most reliable, plus it's a great way to use up all those scraps of soluble stabiliser.

Board footer