Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

SilverClaw Posts: 39
Website

So i have a couple of project on the go right now, including a Pekingese inspired Fu Dog art doll, that i will be using some teddy bear techniques on.

Firstly, i live in the UK and i was wondering what i could use to dye some mohair? i'm looking to get more natural than bright colours and need to be able to both dip dye and paint the dye on. I can get both rit and dylon, but was wondering would the dylon work? its a bit cheaper that the rit and i have worked with it before, even managing to get it to dye synthetic fur.

when doing the dip dying, is it similar to dying other fabrics?

secondly, for this fu dog, i will be armaturing it similar to how teddy bears are done, with a central spine., jointed legs and then more armature attached at the joint running down the leg. my question is, i'm much more comfortable with cotterpin joints, i like the swing they have, but i was wondering if they could be used for adding an armature to. I will be using the plastic "loc-line" stuff.

This is a rough sketch of how the armature would be.
1392825250_armature_sket.jpg

thanks in advance.

Elli Posts: 102
SilverClaw wrote:

when doing the dip dying, is it similar to dying other fabrics?

Sorry, I can't really help, I've only used other brands of dye. But I've made the experience that dyeing alpaca and mohair can be quite surprising, I never know what colour I will get (I used "ochre" recently and endet up with a foxy red... bear_wacko ). Don't know whats the reason, I never had this problem with cotton fabric (I follow the instructions for wool to dye alpaca).

SilverClaw wrote:

i'm much more comfortable with cotterpin joints, i like the swing they have, but i was wondering if they could be used for adding an armature to. I will be using the plastic "loc-line" stuff.

Of course it works! bear_original I've only made a few jointed animals, but all of them have armatured limbs.
I really dislike lockline in legs, for me it feels just unnatural... But give it a try, maybe you like it. bear_happy
Check out Joanne Livingstons blogpost about it, it works the same way with cotterpins:
http://desertmountainbear.blogspot.co.a … again.html

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you Eli for posting the link. I do use the Jeton brand of Lockline in the legs. For a 12" bear I use 1/8". In the US you can get it at CR's crafts. If your legs are long enough that size works well. Anything smaller and I wire the back legs.

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Hiya,
I can vouch for Dylon dye; I have used it to dye mohair, viscose and cotton, all with good results. I have used the same dip-dying technique each time, just following the instructions on the dye pack. Having said that, I haven't mixed Dylon dye to make a new shade, so if you are pursuing this I imagine a little trial and error is on the cards... bear_original
I use cotter pins with loc-line armature and it works fine; just make sure you have the cotter pin nice and tight. I drill a hole at the end of the loc-line segment and pass the cotter pin through, adding the disc etc as normal. May I suggest the following UK supplier of loc-line? http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/copy … _Hose.html
It is not the branded stuff but is equally good, and the cheapest I've found to date.
Best of luck with your dog - the sketch is lovely!
Claire.

Website

thank you for all of your help guys!

I'm glad dylon works as i found some packs last week that i hadn't used so it will be perfect.

good to know that i can joint with cotterpins and still use the loc line stuff.

and Joanne, i just wanted to thank you for your very insightful blog, i along with some friends, ordered in bulk form jeton for the first time recently and your blog was so helpful in that. I love your bears, and also the way you use the armature for them. I have to say though, i'm super jealous of your studio space XD  god i wish i had the room for a set up like that . XD

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

Oh Silver Claw I am so envious of your jetson I looked into ordering it last year but with the high commodity tax on importing plastics just couldn't afford it. If you have bought the 1/8th size or less and would be interested in selling me some please let me know?
michelle

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I use landscape dyes and they are great for painting too . Very natural colours. With loc-line it's  easy to use a cotter pin as you just heat up a thick darning needle till it's hot enough ( red hot) and then push it through the locline to make a hole big enough to push the cotter pin through. It works well...I do it all the time.

warwickshire uk
Website

Probear supplies the armature in small sizes..

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website
jenny wrote:

Thank you Jenny I have ordered some. Sorry for high jacking your post Silver claw  :rose:
michelle

Website
edmondnutmeg wrote:
jenny wrote:

Thank you Jenny I have ordered some. Sorry for high jacking your post Silver claw  :rose:
michelle

bear_laugh not a problem  bear_laugh  I was just about to suggest probear to you too.

and jenny, i will have to look into landscape dyes, i've never heard of them before. what sort of price range do they fall under?

warwickshire uk
Website

They are about £8.50. They have about 65 colours to choose from...amazing quality of pigment. I just love them

warwickshire uk
Website

Board footer