Hope you like him!
Claire.  bear_original

Sarah J Sara J No Kuma Sarah J Bear
Gold Coast, QLD
Website

Very Sweet Bunny! Love His Eyes bear_wub  bear_thumb

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

Thanks, Sarah! bear_original I hand painted the eyes on this one.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub You hand painted the eyes wow! I was just about to comment on how beautifully you had shaded his muzzle then I scrolled down and read about the eyes you are very talented. Lovely bunny!
michelle

Worcester

Thanks so much, Michelle!  bear_original I have recently started using pastel to shade my bears and buds - I love how soft the colours are. I used pastel for the shading on this little guy...  bear_original

Derbyshire
Website

I have tried pastels as I do love the soft depth of definition you can get but couldn't figure out how to stop it rubbing off. Thought about fixative (like you would use for art work) but never actually got round to trying it or maybe I was just applying it wrong in the first place or needed to prepare the surface to take the colour. BTW thank you for the tip about the loc line (silver claw post) I have been after a Uk supplier since last year. I even looked into importing it in bulk and selling myself but it works out cheaper to buy it from the US due to some kind of plastic import tax in to the UK which I suppose is why no one sells it here. It is actually the 1/16th" I really would like but it is quite costly and wonder if I would be better just sticking to experimenting with wire and cable. But regardless the 1/4" you recommended was cheaper than the one I had found    bear_original
michelle

Worcester

Hi Michelle,
Have you tried adding the pastels using a paint brush? It is quite time consuming but I have found that the pastel bonds really well, especially on felted areas. I use pastel pencils and scribble on a scrap of paper to create loose pastel dust; I then pick this dust up with a paint brush and apply it to the bear - it's a little like applying make-up.  bear_original Use the best quality pastels you can get, just to be sure that they are colour-true and will bond well - Derwent are good and have an extensive range of colours.
I'm glad that the tip on Loc-Line was handy - it took me an age to find a good UK supplier! Having said that, I haven't managed to find any that stock smaller than the 1/4" size, unfortunately...
bear_original Claire.

Derbyshire
Website

I did try with a paintbrush and bought a good quality soft (not oil) art pastel Fabre castell and Schmincke. It was for the inner ears of a rabbit on felt. I gave up and used felt pens and alcohol (yes me and the ear bear_tongue ) in the end but it is much harder to judge the finished outcome with wet applications. I think I just need to experiment some more as I know a lot of people use them. Thought about sealing with very dilute madge podge but worried that the colour would float in to the liquid and the shading might be lost.  You have inspired me to have another go....
michelle

Board footer