Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

The current thread about sewing "fat fur" makes a lot of sense to me after completing this 17" boy. The white fur was so dense that the only way to get the needle where I wanted it was by hand.
There were other challenges, since I'm used to working with mohair, but I'm glad I finished him.

Becky

1400590255_p1040844__1400590203_25817.jpg

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

And what a great job you did, Becky!   :thumbsup:
I love his two-toned fur (even it's faux  bear_laugh ).  It works really well for him and of course, he's got that wonderful "Dangerbear"-expression as well.  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks very much, Peter  bear_wub

I really enjoy fur combinations when they work.  bear_original 

Becky

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

He is a very beautiful bear, Becky!  I have some faux fur in white that is extremely long and very thick.  I've had it for years.  Every time I go to choose fabric for a bear, I fondle it, think about sewing it and move on!!!!  Maybe some day I will get brave.  Did you trim the seam allowance - does that help at all?????

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you, Thelma.  bear_flower

Trimming the seam allowance was essential, but even then, the pile (of the white fur) pushed the machine's foot away. Sewing the seams by hand worked much better.

My next problem was that the backing fabric of the white fur was quite open--not loose, but with large-ish holes. So before embroidering the nose, I "painted" the inside of the muzzle with leather glue, which is flexible when it dries. That added some effort to the embroidery, but at least I wasn't pulling stuffing through the holes with each stitch.

I consider it all to be a learning experience. bear_whistle There are some fabulous fauxs, and the ones with shorter pile and a good backing are as easy to work with as mohair, so I'm glad to have struggled my way through this project. (Every project to come will be easier!)

Becky

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

You did a great job Becky! bear_wub  bear_wub
I also like how you scissor sculpted his muzzle, to give him a mouth shape. I think there is one good side in working with faux fur, namely scissor sculpting. It is so dense that you can literally 'sculpt' it with great effects.
Well done there! bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thank you, Francy, and you're exactly right--faux fur is the ultimate material for scissor sculpting! bear_flower

Becky

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub Oh Becky he is just wonderful! What a great job and worth all your effort! Faux fur does look so huggable and takes colour and shapes like a dream but is hard work for me too. Carrie must be the a master of faux as she uses such long plies all the time with no apparent problems. Un picking is a night mare too as the stiches sink so far into the fabric and with it being knitted can soon run into a hole if your not super careful ( yep been there bought the t-shirt and had to make a new leg to prove it bear_grin ) Thelma I too have a few pieces of faux that I get out and then think hummmm not this time. Maybe it is a bit like child birth you need a bit of time between to forget the pain bear_grin
michelle

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

Wow, Becky, never thought about the backing!!!  bear_tongue Raced right in and looked at mine - thankfully, the backing is woven and very close together.  I would never have thought to handle the embroidery problem that way - good job!  I have some other faux fur that is tremendous - have made several bears from it and I love it.  Like Francy said, great for scissor sculpting, one of my favorite things!

Michelle - made me laugh (mother of 4)  but like childbirth, just look at what you get!!!!!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks for your kind comments, Michelle and Thelma. bear_original (Michelle, you gave me a good laugh, too! bear_laugh )

Becky

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

You did a great job, he's beautiful, I gave up on Faux after one attempt couldn't handle it. Welll done.x

Hugs
Pauline x

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Thanks, Pauline  bear_original  (I guess I'm not the only one who is challenged by faux.) bear_happy

Becky

Board footer