Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

rabbit.jpgI have seen so many animal related stories on here and it just touches our hearts.
I try not to talk about heart related subjects, only because there is so many that need your attention. But, I just had to share this with you all. He is small and some would say he is just not that important to really work that hard to save. But, for me he is!
I regret to say the day after I came home from our trip I found one of my Dwarf rabbits almost dead. What I think happened? and I do say "think" here.  He was unable to get to his water. He is very wick and can hardly hold his head up.
I did have a sitter that I thought new what she was doing. What I mean by that is. ? If a animal looks like it is almost falling over, would that not clue you in? She has sat in the past for us and claims to know about animals. I hate to be so judgmental, but I am really frustrated about this. Could she not see he was in trouble? Forgive me, but I am very upset about this. I am just heart broken. The sad fact about this is, a rabbit can dehydrate is just two to three days. I was gone a week. Lord, how it hurts to know he needed help and I was not there. Deep breath ….. response to - I want to kick someones butt!!

I have been feeding Pedialyte water to him every 20 to 40 minutes trying to keep him alive for the past few days. He is still very weak and being a small animal the vet says he may not make it. I have also been told that it is a lot of trouble for a rabbit. Can you believe that?  I just can’t give up. I see it this way. As long as he is willing to fight and drink and hang in … I can only help him. I just can’t give up on him and just say, “ya… lets put he down, he’s just a rabbit after all.”  As long as he wants to fight I will help him.   

His name is Peter … ya Peter Rabbit. *a little smile* My Granddaughter named him He is the oldest out of four that I have in this small family of Dwarf rabbits.  He is sweet and loves attention.

I will bless him as an Easter Bunny Rabbit if he makes it to then and I ask all the rest of you to wish for the same. That is all I ask.  Thank you.

Hugs Kassie

Densteds Densteds
Website

Oh Kassie, how awful, I'm so sorry, poor little Peter!! how can someone not wake up to the fact that an animal doesn't have access to water, I'm fanatical about it, my dogs & cat have water containers everywhere...
I know how upset you must be, it just breaks your heart when something like this happens, I pray your little fellow will keep fighting and soon be well.

big hugs, :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Denise.

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

We had this happen. We were lucky to notice something was wrong. The vet said it did not look good, but my husband kept giving him water and he pulled through. His teeth had grown a bit funny and he was unable to get all the water he needed. You are right it can happen very quickly.  :hug:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

bear_cry  bear_cry Oh Kassie, your poor darling rabbit! Please, don't give up! Keep giving him some water and fresh food, and all your love! He will make it! He will make it! HE WILL MAKE IT!

I cross my fingers for him! I am sure he is very brave!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

PS: I love dwarf rabbits!

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

There are vets that specialize in small animals.... I had four rabbits at one time.  One we had to clip his teeth regularly (don't freak girls, they don't have feeling in them as long as you dont cut them too short)... that was apparently because his jaw wasn't lined up... If your bun bun is in that state, I would take him to the vet, he doesnt sound good.... Hope he is ok....  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

My goodness! Kassity what a sad story.. :hug:  bear_cry

I love pets of any kind, I would love to have even a lizzard.. bear_shocked  but right now i'm feeling so sad cause all my beloved childhood pets are going away..cat, dog, parrot...I know ...circle of lives or something like that... but it is awfully sad..

i hope Peter will be fine very soon..  :hug:  :pray:

Julia :pray:  :hug:

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Kassie, How awful!  I wouuld not have her "sit" again Don't give up on Peter.  He needs you. and yes rabbits do have feelings. They can be the most affectioate things in the world.  :hug: Please keep us posted!

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Your wee bunny is beautiful and worth every ounce of energy you can put into saving him!   People make me angry - who has the right to say a bunny isn't worth the trouble or any animal for that matter.  If he can show strenght of will to hang on, than he deserves the chance to survive.  I will keep Peter in my prayers and I know he can feel you love and kindness.  Keeping my fingers crossed.

Hugs,

Brenda

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Oh I'm so sorry about your little rabbit.
Hang in there with him!
Sending hugs and prayers!

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Oh Kassie I too am sorry for your heartbreak.  Personally, I think it's never too much to try to help those who can't help themselves.  You should have seen me rescuing baby squirrels from the clutches of my outside kitties (one tame...two ferral who think they live here).  I too love animals and it breaks my heart when they are hurting and I can't or feel like I haven't done enough.

They are like children!!!

And...what is this about a Granddaughter?!?!  (shock...I really thought you were one of the babies from the group)

Dilu Posts: 8,574

bear_cry

Pedialyte....what a great idea!....I am not sure I would have thought of that....Your dedication is touching and admirable...Oh I do hope you have a miricle, it is so hard when our fur babies get into such dire straights.....

And i am so sorry that your trust was so devastated!

To major heartaches at one time.....

:pray: ing for the best for you and Peter!

:hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I second what Brenda said.....And why are some people--even some vets-- so cold hearted about animals anyway?  Every living creature has the right to live and fight for survival.  A rabbit may seem an unusual pet to some, especially that you care so much, but those people are missing out on the love you have in your life with Peter.  They just don't get it!  You keep on fighting to pull that little guy through.  He is certainly worthy of your love and the work required to save him! bear_wub  bear_wub   You and Peter are in my prayers, Kassie! bear_wub

:hug:  :hug:
Tracy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Find a different vet!!!!!
No pet, regardless of size, is too small or insignificant for our love and efforts to save.

Some thought I was nuts but I took my bunny to 4 different vets and paid almost $2000 to find out what was really wrong with him and try to save him. Unforutnately the mis-diagnosis/treatment by the first 3 vets caused us to loose too much time and by the time I found the 4th vet who properly diagnosed Rascal it was too late, though he did all he could to save the little guy and was most sympathetic and kind when I had Rascal put to sleep and released of his misery.

Though my story doesn't have a happy ending the moral is that it is very important to have the right vet who specializes in small animals and is willing to help. And to keep doing what you are doing. I hope and pray that your love and care will bring Peter back to health. Wish I had a suggestion to help.

:hug:
daphne

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh, Kassie - I do feel for your grief, and little Peter is certainly worth any effort to save the little guy.  We paid big bucks to get our little ferret Slinky through a crisis and she survived.  My thoughts are with you and I so hope Peter will have enough strength to pull through.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

I think he must have a good chance if he is still with you.I have had many rabbits and loved them dearly.I once got a new baby one in a prsent that was obviously to wee to be away from his mum.He couldn't eat.My vet worked like crazy and it cost me over £150 for just a few days with bunny.I never for one moment thought he's only a rabbit.
I once had to get an emergency vet out to see my pet rat.He was so gentle and said the rats time has come and he would be best put to sleep.He gave the injection so slowly so as not to hurt the wee soul.He gave the rat to my daughter and stayed with us till he passed in case he needed any more.He gave my rat and us the same care as a dog or cat owner and I will never forget it.It was daughters first loss and he made it a lot easier.All life is special, you sound just the right sort of person to save this wee bunny.
Diane xxx

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Sorry to hear about little Peter and hope that he has the strength to pull through this awful ordeal.
Such a cute little bunny and I hope that he will soon be fine.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kassie, You go girl!  What a  lucky bunny to have you for a mommy bear_wub  :hug:  bear_wub   I think if you are willing to save his life then phooie on the vet.  People go to heroic lengths to save humans....unfortunately it is not the same for as many animals, but if you are willing to out forth the effort...hooray.  Poor little bunny.  I hope he feels better soon.  Take good care!

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

I am sorry to hear of Peter's dilemma, but I feel with all the love and care he is getting he will pull through ..........

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone     

Thank you so much for all your support for Peter. I agree with all you who have said - new vet - don't give up - (I have not given up and won't) Don't let her sit again. I wouldn't! Dear hearts. Believe me, I won't!   Thank you for sharing all your heart felt stories with me.  :hug:  :hug: 
I will continue to give Peter what he needs to survive. Thank you for all your kind support, it means a lot. :hug: I have so much to say to all of you, but I will keep it short for now, so I can care for him. 

Update - Peter is hanging in there. He is drinking and is now standing on his own. I still have to remind him every half hour or so were the water is but he still with us. Thank the creator and all good wishes.     
He is truly a fighter. It is still touch and go wether he makes it or not.  But, what a trooper! 
I will keep you updated tomorrow.   
Bless all your hearts- thank you.   
Big Hugs 
Kassie

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

You are doing well, Kassie! Peter looks very brave!
Keep fighting, both of you! I am sure you will make it!

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bravo to you and Peter!!  So glad he seems to be making a recovery - that's awesome news, Kassie!  Both of you keep on hangin' in!

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Way to go Peter.  Keep it up he definately is a fighter and a brave little bunny!  All God's creatures matter and it is from the love of us all that keep them safe. :hug:

Jane

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Good for you Kassie! :hug:  Hang in there.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm so glad to hear that Peter is showing improvement. He and your family are in my prayers.  :hug:   :hug:  bear_wub

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

OH Kassie, I am so sorry to hear Peters story. I hate ,YES I said HATE, people that have no compassion for living creatures. I spent $AUST3,ooo trying to save my wee miniture silky. I would do it again. I would not hesitate to spend that kind of money on my budgie. .
I'll pray for Peter. Give him a kiss and cuddle from me please.  bear_cry  bear_cry

Board footer