Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

I made this little bear for my sister and she called him Barney.
I used a lovely pattern called ''Dimples' by Megan Wallace of www.tinsoldiers.za
He's my 9th attempt at bearmaking but I still can't get that perfect embroidered nose that features on so many bears here on TT.
I've seen lots of good tutorials on this technique but it's a pity there isn't any videos on the subject because I can get the centre stitches looking OK but then the side stitches at each end won't stay put and keep trying to slip off.Ted Menten's book suggests using glue to keep stitches in place but I usually get into a mess with glue so would rather not use it.
Also when I do more than one layer of stitches to get a smoother finish I end up with an oversized nose  bear_sad .
Any advice on what I'm doing wrong would be great,thanks.
1407790294_image.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'd say you did wonderful work here! I really like the scissor work you did to create the face.

As for noses, it truly is a case of perseverance--eventually you work out a way that's effective for you through trial and error. You've already identified a few issues to work on, and if you focus on those, you will find solutions. (I did try the tacky glue technique, but abandoned it after awhile. And at either end, I start with a vertical stitch that parallels the felt, and then place stitches over that one and the felt to create the base layer. It's something that works for me, though it might sound like it shouldn't. bear_wacko )

Becky

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Barney is a wonderful and beautiful little bear, Renee; you did a great job and I doubt that many people would notice if the nose isn't stitched perfectly.  :love:
And the main thing is that your sister loves him!  :teddybear:
Sorry that I can't give you any advice on stitching a nose; I just collect the bears and leave the technical side to those who are more talented than I.  bear_whistle

Maria Bjornungar.se
Website

Such bear_wub an adorable little guy!!!

Many thanks for those lovely comments everybody,it means a lot.
My sis was thrilled with him.this little Teddybear put a big smile on her face which is just what the doctor ordered as she's having a rough time at present on chemo treatment.
Thanks for the tip,Becky I'll give that a try  bear_thumb .

EJ Netcong, New Jersey

Nope, can't see a problem with little beauty.....he's gorgeous! bear_grin

Aawwww..thanks EJ,that's very encouraging.

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub He is gorgeous and his nose looks great to me but that are something I am working hard on too as I still find them a struggle to get perfect. Still waiting for that penny drop moment when I feel I have got my technique just right. We just have to keep at it...
Teddy bears sewn with love for someone in particular will always be a joy. How lovely that you did this for your sister and I am sorry that your family are going through this difficult illness x
michelle

bear_flower Thanks Michelle for the praise and for your kind words of compassion.
I think you could teach me a few things about nose embroidery but I guess we tend to be our own toughest critics  bear_original .

Board footer