Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

flowerfie The Avalon Rose
Toronto

Hey all, I could do with some advice on funding my bear making. Basically, my financial situation at present will not allow me to buy supplies, even thrift store finds, and I was wondering if it would be worth trying to sell my creations to feed the fabric beast. I'm very new to bear making, so I would just want to cover the costs of fabric with my sales, does anyone think this is even possible for a capable, but inexperienced maker?

Also, is selling bears at cost frowned upon? I don't want to ruffle any feathers, I just really love to make things!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You can price your bears in any way that works for you, but be sure to include ALL of your costs. For example, if you sell on Bearpile, there's a monthly fee, while ebay and etsy charge a percentage of any sales. Also consider the cost of tags and packaging materials (bags, boxes, packing tape, tissue paper).

Good luck with your new venture!

Becky

Toronto

Thanks, I'll be sure to calculate things properly, and reign in my passion for super fancy expensive packaging... Do you think there is even a market for less experienced makers? I mean I'm more than capable with needle and thread but I can't hold a candle to some of the pure awesome that many artists around here possess.

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I think Becky gave you very sound suggestions.
As for the 'experienced' or 'inexperienced' side of things, I think you shouldn't worry too much about it. Just give it a try, and see. There could very well be somebody who likes your little ones and want to buy them, and if they like them, who cares if you are experienced or not?  bear_original
Just be careful of one thing. If you are selling a creation that has been made with a pattern that hasn't been designed by yourself, you should tell it in the description of your creation. Most bear makers (or artists, or artisans, or whatever term you see fit) sell creations that have been made from an original pattern designed by themselves. If your creations are from a pattern that is not your own, you should tell, and also I think tell whose pattern it is. And also see if it is allowed. I mean that some bear professionals sell their patterns to be used for personal enjoyment, but not for re-selling the creations that came out of it....just a thought...
Good luck! Your jeans bear is very cute! bear_wub

Tedz Tedz

I'm a complete novice when it comes to fabric bear making.  I needle felt, knit and crochet.  Even knitting and crochet, I'm hopeless at creating my own patterns, I can only do that with small accessories, not the entire bear (so I don't sell crocheted/knitted bears for that reason), but your denim bear is more than sell-able in my opinion.  From the pics you showed on here, he looked very well made, so your 'inexperience' really doesn't show.  The end result is what matters, and you can clearly make a bear that looks like an experienced maker has created it!  I'm not just saying that, I would genuinely buy him.  I'm out of funds myself at the moment, but I genuinely would.  I don't normally go out with the intention of buying a new teddy, I tend to buy on impulse.  So a bear has to look good and appeal to me in some way, and be well made, good stitching etc - your bear meets my 'criteria' for impulse buying.  Apart from whatever Bearpile/Ebay/Etsy charges, you have nothing to lose in trying.

Copi Khatz Creations Copi Khatz Creations
Worcester

I think your bear is really appealing and you would have a good chance of selling, especially somewhere like Etsy. You pay a fairly low fee to list and then a percentage when the item sells, so it is one of the more affordable sites to start out on. Best of luck!  bear_original
Claire.

Toronto

Francesca - will likely use my own patterns, I have a good general idea of what direction I want to go in, though it might take a while to get there! I'll be sure to credit and ask permission if I use anyone else's pattern.

Tedz - You flatter me! Thanks for the confidence boost, I was pretty pleased with my denim bear, though he is far too fragile to sell, I doubt his joints would stand up to postage! (My husband, who, I swear, has the mind of a toddler, already managed to pull off his arms once!) Working on a faux fur bear at the moment, I happened upon an old fluffy scarf I never use in the bottom of a drawer, and I've ordered some proper joints. If he works out well then I may invest enough to make a bear or two for sale, or else dissect a fluffy coat that's hanging around in my wardrobe...

Copi - I already have an etsy shop for hair accessories that I used to make, so I'll probably repurpose it for my bears. I agree, their fees are pretty reasonable. bear_original

Board footer