Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hello and welcome to "Reporting Live:  BEARS AND BOVINES"!  I am Judi Paul of Luxembears and I will be reporting live for the next four days from Luxembears Headquarters which is also Teemar Holsteins Dairy Farm.  I will be showing you life on the farm with bears. 

Today we will have a short tour of the farm, while during the next three days, teddy will meet the herd, milk a cow, and see what farmers do for fun.

images3068Farm-picG1-1.JPG
Here is an aerial view of our home base which includes our milking barn, free stall barn, machine shed, milk house, OUR house and Luxembears Headquarters Workshop.

images5475FARM_PIC05.jpg
Our farm is located in Northeast Wisconsin, Luxemburg to be exact (can you guess where I got my bear business name?). 

images5533PAULS.jpg
Please meet the Paul family from left to right:  Rachel, Jordan, Judi, Joey, and Mark.

images4152Farm_picE1.jpg
We own and farm 330 acres...growing wheat, corn, oats, soybeans, and alfalpha.  We milk 74 cows twice a day and have another 70 replacement heifers and a handful of bulls.

images4696Farm-picC15.jpg
A adult dairy cow will consume a 100 pounds of feed daily.

images7285Farm-picC11.jpg
Professional cattle photography is an important part of promoting and representing the genetics of the herd.  It is quite a big undertaking and requires an entire crew:  The cow is washed, clipped, and perfectly groomed and trained to lead on a halter (or we experience a wild west rodeo if a cow is not trained).  Someone is needed to hold the halter...not as easy as it looks.  One upward movement of the cows head will throw me...so I leave that to Mark.  Then we need someone working the tail.  A piece of fishing line is tied to the end of the cows tail.  As the photographer gets ready to take a photo he calls out "Front" or "Back" and the tail man must move the tail accordingly. 

images7251Farm-picD6.jpg
There also needs to be two men to position the feet.  And of course, often times the cow will shift her weight and then she will need to be repositioned. It can take hours just to get one good shot.  The guy at the halter will need to pull her forward or push slightly to get the cow to shift her weight.  The photographer calls out "Weight front" or "Weight back."  This can turn into a circus.

The cows udder needs to be perfectly visible, to properly represent the quality of the animal.

Then, we need a "clean up" guy who is constantly on standby with bucket, scooper, and towels to wipe the cows..eh-hem, bum-bum incase she 'goes'.  She needs to be perfectly clean.

Notice how the cows all are standing with their front feet slightly elevated.  All professional cattle are photographed this way.  This not only raises up her front end but gives her a nice top line.

NOW...the MOST FUN part of watching this whole very involved process is the "screeching monkey".  As the entire photo set is silent, one brave and clownish person, with no fears of appearing like an idiot, volunteers to hide in nearby bushes, and make screeching monkey sounds.  The goal is to get that "perky-ears forward-look".  If those sounds don't work, then he will baaaaaa like a baby calf or goat.  I have even heard owl sounds used....what ever it takes.  This perks the cows interest (as they are very curious) and her ears cup in a forward, perky position and the photographer snaps the shot.  One sound NEVER used is a barking dog.  Since dogs are natural enemies to cows, this can rile up the animal and then there is no good shot.  This whole screeching monkey business is absolutely entertaining to witness!!!  It can take several ...and I do mean several, attempts to get just the right shot.  It is also an ALL DAY event on the farm.

Photographing bears is a piece of cake next to picturing cattle. bear_wacko

The result?  Beautiful photos used to represent the animals on the farm for breeding, embryo sales, and bull stud contracts.

images9650Farm-Add1.jpg
The picture above and below are two advertisements we ran in a Holstein magazine.  The titles are both a play on words.  All the text includes the cows record information and classification scores.

images9485Farm-Add2.jpg
My husband never told me he was including me in these ads.  It was a total surprise bear_wub   In case you're wondering, the photo in this ad of Mark and me is of our wedding day.  We are performing a Ballroom number and have just completed a shoulder lift.  What you're looking at is called a "flying Angel".

images3382FARM_PIC03.jpg
Okay, here's me....in unlikely farmers garb posing for a professional cattle portrait. bear_original This was my husband's idea bear_whistle

images3278Farm-picC3.jpg
And here I am again.  This is NOT a professional cow photo.  See the difference?

One of the most impressive structures on the farm are the five silos.  The largest is 84 feet tall and 20 feet in diameter.  Sherwood, Kota, and Tako all wanted to climb to the top but settled for this tree instead.  Phew!  It would be exhausting trying to climb up a silo to get them back down.
images5622Farm-pic11.jpg
You really need to stand next to one of these giant "food containers" to really appreciate their size.

images1880Farm-picB24.jpg
Look closely at the base of the blue Harvestor silo and you will see....Mark (the main man of the farm), my son Joey, and Sherwood.

The silos mainly contain corn silage, and haylage (pickled alfalpha). I'll tell you more about a cow's diet on day three when we milk some cows.

A farmers day starts very early every day, seven days a week at 5:30 am and ends around 8 or 9 pm....sometimes longer depending how smoothly things run.  If there is a cow calving, or a sick animal...or (my favorite bear_wacko) equipment problems, then a farmers day can go long hours into the night.

images5666Farm-picC5.jpg
images9140Farm-picC8.jpg

images3887FARM_PIC04.jpg
All bears at Luxembears are born inside this house....right on the other side of the bay window seen here.
images4514Huckleberry01.jpg

images9717Farm-picC9.jpg
Here's Rachel with a young heifer.

images3432Farm-picB12-1.JPG
Our farm is more than a century old and has gone through many changes over the years.  My husband, Mark has lived  and worked here all his life, and took over the farm completely in 1994.  I grew up in the city so it was a big life change for me in 1996 when we married and bought the farm from Mark's parents.

Well, now you have had a brief introduction to the farm.  Tomorrow we will meet the herd and show more bear/farm photos, so stay tuned!

images9292Farm-picB13-1.JPG

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

Just lovely Judi. Wow its so interesting to see an American farm too. I have been on a couple of small English ones and its nice to see the differences or not as the case maybe. I'll tune in tomorrow, this is a really good idea! :hug:

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Judi that was just AWESOME!!!!!   :clap:  :clap:   I LOVE the photos of you with the cows bear_original

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

That WAS awesome, Judi! I had no idea that taking those photos was so involved. Very interesting! and great pictures! I will be tuned in tomorrow as well bear_original  bear_original

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap: Judi its been SUCH fun reading this and looking at all the pics!!!  :clap:  :clap:  I especially love the pics of you doing the 'Flying Angel'  :dance:  and the pics of you with the cows.  That first one of you with the cow made me giggle.... you two have matching boots!  bear_tongue   I knew it was tricky to get a decent professional picture, but had NO IDEA that it was that involved.  The effort is well worthwhile, though, your cows and heifers look simply stunning!!

Thank you for the peek at your farm...can't wait til tomorrow's installment!!  bear_wub

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Oh Judi!  This is so neat!  I feel like I have a little window into your life!   bear_smile

Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals
http://www.picturetrail.com/bastadolls

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Very interesting, I love the cow pictures. 
Thanks Judi!

Joan

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Judi,
             How wonderful.  I know the work involved as we farmed a Friesian herd of 74 Milking cows for 23years. My husband was farm Manager. We had a 4.30 start in the morning as the Milk Tanker came to us first , I helped with the milking ,then had the Dairy to attend to.  A beautiful Farm Judi and ThankYou for such lovely Pictures.  Hugs Rita xxxxxx

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

What a great report Judi!  You've put it together beautifully.  Looking forward to Day 2!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hi! I am so glad you like it so far.  I had such a great time putting this all together to share with you.

I never grew up on a farm so I have had sooo much to learn over the years.  My hubby was born and raised here.  He has farming in his blood and is wonderful with the animals.  I love to see him work with his girls.  He takes such great care of them.

My husband has been Ballroom dancing for 20 years, I for about 12 years.  We met at a dance.  I never thought I would be a farmers wife.

Yes, I do work on the farm, but not as much as I used to.  I used to help regularly with the milking.  I am still to this day in awe of these magnificent creatures.  Now, since I have my bear biz  my husband has more hired help so I can work on my art.

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Awesome Judi.  I love it.  I'm a country girl by heart.  I love to go to the city and do all the shopping, eating, etc. but I'd rather have my HOME in the country.

It's just beautiful!!!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

Wow Judi! I was mesmerized as I read your report! I am in awe! Looking forward to tomorrows installment!
Sonya

minkbears Vintage Mink Bears by Kathy Myers
Lakewood CA
Website

Judi, I'm a native Southern California girl. I'm used to beaches, postage stamp sized lawns, small spaces, and smog. What a treat to be invited into your wonderful life and your beautiful farm. I'm looking forward to the rest of your report.

Bear Hugs~ Kathy

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Judi,  bear_flower
I'm thoroughly enjoying your tour!  Thank you so very much for opening the door and sharing your busy life.  Makes my life seem quite......boring actually.   bear_happy

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

I LOVE this Judi  bear_wub

Especially the one of you and hubby flying on your wedding day  :dance:

The cows are really beemootiful, i wish i was'nt scared of them  bear_wacko

Your kids are adorable, your hubby cute, your farm glorious and you are too damn slim and pretty Jude - you can go off of people you know
bear_laugh  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_laugh

Seriously though, i am looking forward to seeing more of your lovely home ESPECIALLY a pic of your Kirby!
bear_smile

Penny  :hug:
bear_smile

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Well, I am sure enjoying reading all of your comments.  I'm so glad this is going over well...ya know,  being the first one up can be a bit nerve-racking bear_wacko

I have so much more to share in the next few days. :hug:  :dance:  :hug:

ellen ontario, canada

:clap:   :clap:
thanx Judi - for sharing!!  can't wait to see more!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I think it's just an amazingly interesting and incredibly well put together beginning to a really enjoyable story, from a truly warm and wonderful person.  Can't wait til tomorrow!

bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Fascinating stuff ,Judi....can't wait for the next bit!!!

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi everyone,
Hey Judi what a great report. I just love the cow calling!  bear_grin I would love to be a fly on the wall while this was all going on, but in this case I would be hiding in the bush somewhere near the person making the funny noises. Crack me up! 
That is amazing thro. I have only seen the "picture taking" once, but no cow calling.  bear_grin Your farm is wonderful. Your children are lovely. I had no idea you had such young kids! Mine are all grown up and I am a Grandmother of five - boy do I feel "older"  bear_grin  bear_grin  *wink*

Flying Bride - Run away Bride has nothing on you Judi girl! What a hoot!  bear_grin  bear_grin 

Beautiful farm. Being raised on a horse ranch, I know how much work aways needs to be done, but Dairy Farm! Let me tell you girls - from experience Dairy Farm is a lot more work. Never mind -  growing wheat, corn, oats, soybeans, and alfalfa as well. Judi were do you find the time for bear making? WOW!
Mark and you must work very hard. 

I got to tell you Judi. The very first time I saw your bears it was the little one you have on here with the frog. I love all your bears, but he just touches my heart. 
Maybe one day I will be able to buy one. *grin* *grin*

Great report girl - can't wait until tomorrow!   :dance:  :dance:  :dance: 
This was a great idea, thank you for sharing your world with us.  :hug:  :hug: 

Big hugs
Kassie

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I just loved reading this, Judi - thankyou for sharing! I can't imagine living on a farm, although I am used to living in the countryside and seeing fields full of cows, but actually running a farm is something else....

I feel like I know you even better now! Can't wait for the next instalment!

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Great report Judi, thankyou for sharing. I can not wait till day 2  :clap:  :clap:

Hugs
Vicki

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

THAT WAS FUN!!!! What a beautiful home, family and bears!

Densteds Densteds
Website

What an amazing hardworking wonderful loving family!!!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

So Judy...what do you do in your spare time???????????? bear_grin  bear_grin

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

:clap:  :clap:  :clap: Oh, Judi!!  That was a wonderful tour---and only day 1 so far!  Really love the pics of you and the cows......and the little boy bear with the frog and overalls bear_grin  bear_grin

Could I "borrow" one of your milk cows?  We go through so much milk in this house that I keep threatening to get one and make the hubby milk her every day (he drinks sooooo much milk!) bear_tongue  bear_grin   Could maybe hook her up to a convenient spigot in the kitchen? :twisted: ..........(kidding!)

:hug:
Tracy

Board footer