Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Tracy wrote:

:
Could I "borrow" one of your milk cows?  We go through so much milk in this house that I keep threatening to get one and make the hubby milk her every day (he drinks sooooo much milk!) bear_tongue  bear_grin   Could maybe hook her up to a convenient spigot in the kitchen? :twisted: ..........(kidding!)

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh Tracy, I can't tell you how many times I have said..."Gosh , I need to go to the store.  We're almost out of milk!"  Then I look out of the kitchen window at all that milk walking around! 

Our family goes through about five gallons of milk a week.

Here in Wisconsin they serve milk in bars!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Densteds wrote:

So Judy...what do you do in your spare time???????????? bear_grin  bear_grin

bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I think I go through a gallon of milk myself a week! I would rather drink milk than anything else bear_original That would be so neat to live on a farm... do you have just cows?  what about chickies?

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kimmy, we used to have three goats.  Two pygmy goats and a Nubian goat.  I LOVE goats...but then we got two registered llamas and they did not get along with the goats so we found new home's for them.  I cried bear_cry .  I would like to get more goats.  They are so neat.  They come when you call them and when I used to go outside it sounded as if they were calling me " maaa-aaa-aa--aaaaaa....".

The llamas..well...I got deeper into my bear business and found less time for them.  We donated them to a beautiful at-home petting farm.  I think they are very happy where they are now.

My husband had chickens when he was growing up.  I would like to get some but he doesn't want any.

He also had a few hogs but not for long.  He said I would hate the smell.  I think pigs are cute.

If our children show a big interest in horses we may get one or two down the road.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

LOL you had me laughing about he MAAAAAA MAAA Thing!   bear_laugh  bear_laugh LOL... I think piggies can be rather stinky... piglets are sooo cute though!!! I would like to see a llama in person, they are such neat creatures!

Jill West Palm Beach, FL

Judi -  Wow what a day.  The farm is beautiful.  I love to see the crops growing and the cows with their gorgeous markings.  You can almost smell that "earthy" farm smell.  What a great place for your kids to grow up. 

Jill

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Thanks Jill.  This place is quite a different climate the Florida bear_original

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

Judi, what a beautiful place you live in!  bear_wub
I enjoyed seeing all the photos! I have never seen anything like this in my life!  :hug:  :pray:
Thank you for inviting us into your amazing warm home!

I do wonder when do you sleep??? not speaking of spare time..... bear_laugh  bear_shocked

julia.
beautiful happy family1 god bless you all!  :hug:  :pray:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

This is so interesting and fun to read!  Thanks for sharing this. 

I think cows are so cute.   bear_original   I figured running a farm takes a lot of work, but I didnt' know what was involved.  I didn't realize how complicated it would be to photograph cows.  I personally like the pic of you with the boots and skirt in front of the cow. 

Do you miss the city or do you love the farm so much you don't care? 

I showed DH the pictures and he was ready to come and visit.  He thought it looked great.  He said he would help with the cows.    bear_original

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_laugh  bear_laugh Ha!!  We've got you all beat in the milk drinking department.  We go through 1 1/2  gallons a day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  So Judi, can I have one of your cows? bear_grin  bear_grin

We had a goat once named Sadie.  She did that Maaa maaa thing too.......and tried to come in the house (she did sneak in a couple of times)...........and would "knock" on the back door and windows wanting to come in.........and ate my flowers......and nibble our clothes.........and tap danced on my ex's truck hood (I loved that one!!!!)  We didn't have room for her when we moved, so I had to find a home for her.  I miss her!!! bear_cry

:hug:
Tracy

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Wow Judi! What an awesome tour. Thank you so much for sharing your world with us.  Your family is beautiful and your farm seems like a wonderful, happy, busy place.
You have a huge operation there! I actually worked as a milk hand briefly. I enjoyed it, probably because I love cows, the country, and all sorts of farmy type things, but it isn't a life for everyone. Even though I just got a taste of dairy farming, I know that it takes a tremedous amount of work to keep things running. It is a 24/7 job in itself and yet you all also do crop farming, bear making, ballroom dancing, teaching on-line classes, TT advising, etc, etc, etc! How do you do it all?  You have my total respect and admiration!
You packed so much interesting stuff into this report. I thoroughly enjoyed it and all the pictures. I can't wait for tomorrow's installment!

:hug:  :hug: hugs,

Just Us Bears Just Us Bears
Australia

Judi,
I am so enjoying this window into your life! Chris and I worked the family dairy farm for 15 years and I milked cows many times too. My favourite part was feeding the calves...so cute! I can't imagine what it must be like farming where it snows. Do you shed your cows through the winter time? Is the number of cows you milk about average for your area? We used to milk 230 and that was fairly standard for a 20 a side herringbone shed in this district, but nowadays people are having to upsize to make a living and milk more that 500 cows in big rotary dairies. UGH! bear_wacko
The only crops we used to do were turnips and we cut silage about six weeks before hay. Do you do sileage too? Stinks! bear_grin
Loved all the pics and appreciate the work it took to bring us this bit 'o' fun too! bear_wub

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Wonderful pics Judi, very interesting, can't wait till tomorrow!  bear_original

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Judi -
You did a really nice job.
Trust your husband on the pigs. The can smell up a place fast. If I take the back roads to work in the summer I can smell the "money".
I grew up in town but most of the kids in school were farm kids. Our house is a farm house and use to be outside the city limits. That changed when the railroad came to town and the center of town shifted closer to our house. The neighbor lady that lived across the street had chickens when we first moved to town. I still remember her going out to feed them. As they died, the city told her that she could not replace them. Too bad really, they were fun to watch. I think when I retire I will move to the country and have a farm, with cows, horses, maybe a goat or two, dogs, cats, and chickens, lots of chickens. But by then I we be fabulously wealthy and will have a staff to care for all the animals. LOL! bear_grin  Like that is going to happen.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Thanks so much Judi for giving us a tour of your farm and showing us your lovely family.
Look forward to seeing what you are up to tomorrow.
Very interesting and thanks again.

Bear hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Delartful Bears Delartful Bears
Australia

Oh Judi, what an amazing tour! I loved every bit of it!  I LOVED learning about professional photo shoots for cows - very interesting!  I am a cow person, infact I'm often called one- I take it as a compliment  bear_grin   bear_tongue

Great read, can't wait for tomorrow!
Danni

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

Well I be!!! I actually found myself completely absorberd. I was surprised when it was over. Cant wait till tomorrow.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
Thankyou Judi bear_flower I'm looking forward to more.

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Wow Judi, what a different life you have to me. Thank you so much for the report. I am looking forwards to the next one. Great photos too!

Hugs Jane  bear_thumb

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

That was amazing to see what you are doing over there looks like another planet Thank you Judi .

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

skelm2.jpgoh fantastic Judi, I used to help out on the sheep farm next to my Granny's house in England and I loved it, being a true Country Bumpkin bear_original   Reading about the circus for taking a photo of a cow made me laugh and reminded me about trying to get good photos of my horses, making all sorts of noises to get them to prick up their ears!  Mind you, my last horse was such a poser you only had to get the camera out and he got all his feet square, lifted up his head and pricked his ears and said - ok I'm ready for my close up!!  I've attached a photo of Skelm (means Little Rascal in Afrikaans - and he certainly was!) posing for the camera, he didn't even have to be held, just stood there and looked handsome  bear_wub

Can't wait for your next photos tomorrow bear_original
Hugs
Catherine

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
I Love Teddies wrote:

I figured running a farm takes a lot of work, but I didnt' know what was involved.  I didn't realize how complicated it would be to photograph cows. 

Do you miss the city or do you love the farm so much you don't care? 

I showed DH the pictures and he was ready to come and visit.  He thought it looked great.  He said he would help with the cows.    :)

Chrissie, I too, never knew how much work was involved with farming.  There are no days off for Mark.  Since my sister's, nephew's, and brother-in-laws unexpected passing, my family has come to realize just how important it is to stay connected.  So we now try to get away once a year for a few days to meet up with my suriving sister brother, thier families, and my dad and step mom at some location in the USA.   Leaving the farm can be risky.  We have a good crew but only ONE guy who we can leave to be incharge of overseeing everything.  We also stay in daily contact via cell phone.

I love the country so much...the view, the fresh air, the smell of the crops breaking ground inspring.  I find peace, insiration, and so much beauty here.  I don't think I could ever again live in the city after being on the farm.....  AND...we are only 20 minutes from the nearest shopping mall!!!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
Tracy wrote:

We had a goat once named Sadie.  She did that Maaa maaa thing too.......and tried to come in the house (she did sneak in a couple of times)...........and would "knock" on the back door and windows wanting to come in.........and ate my flowers......and nibble our clothes.........and tap danced on my ex's truck hood (I loved that one!!!!)

Tracy.. bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  Oh our goats did the same things !  They used to jump on the hood of Mark's car leaving incrimminating hoof marks.  OOOOOOO he did not like the goats at all but tolerates almost anything for me. bear_wub   He's a gem

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Farm_picK1.jpg

Just Us Bears wrote:

I can't imagine what it must be like farming where it snows. Do you shed your cows through the winter time? Is the number of cows you milk about average for your area? We used to milk 230 and that was fairly standard for a 20 a side herringbone shed in this district, but nowadays people are having to upsize to make a living and milk more that 500 cows in big rotary dairies. UGH! bear_wacko
The only crops we used to do were turnips and we cut silage about six weeks before hay. Do you do sileage too? Stinks! bear_grin
:love:

The winter can be hard at times but in out barn, the heat created from the cows keeps them all pretty warm.  They are only let out for a short time for exercise in during the colder months.  The claves get to wear special calf coats to keep them warm.

Sounds lik eyou milked in quite a large parlor.  On our farm we have stanchion stall milking.  For those who havne't a clue what I am talking about, in parlor milking, the cows come to a milking location to be milked.  A stanchion system is where the cows are milked in thier own stalls.   

On day 3 I'll show you how we milk cows.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Late as usual, but I LOVED every bit of Day One.  :dance:

Gorgeous place, people and cowses. I've never met a cow I couldn't have an intelligent conversation with, except for the pair that turned out to be oxen. They just fixed me with evil glares and urinated copiously to show their contempt. Oh well . . .

I'm forcing myself to go out into the freezing wind to shop for dinner before I'm allowed to see Day Two!

Can't wait!

Eileen

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks Judi for sharing your life with us, I admire people who put in all that hard work.   My parents run a Beef Cattle farm here in Australia and grow their own crops.  It is a full time, 24 hour a day job.

Cow photography seems very similar to professional Dog photography. Every shot must show off a perfect top line.

Thanks again.  :clap:

Board footer