Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

rikkisbears NSW Australia

Hi ,
Been a while since I made a mini, couldn't resist this shot of the latest Charlie Bear I've added to my collection, with a couple of mini's I made recently.

1415751883_image.jpg1415751934_image.jpg1415751983_image.jpg

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That's a splendid Charlie bear, and you've made him some very sweet little friends. bear_flower

Becky

Hi Becky,
Isn't he gorgeous. He's just under 3 ft tall and he's got the cutest face for such a large bear I was really pleased that I managed to get one, he's even cuter in real life.

Conni Germany

Hi Conni,
They are tiny, BEARLY the size of the polar bears nose. Tried sitting them on his nose for the photo, but they kept jumping off. Haha.

Conni Germany

I like the picture!
Do not breathe! So tiny...

veen-bears wrote:

bear_laugh  couldn't find them at first!  They are SO cute!!!!   bear_original  bear_flower Pink

Thank you

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Aw they are adorable minis - so detailed and cute.

How big are they and what material did you use because it looks so soft and fluffy.  I've been using the mini plush fabric from Sassy Bears lately.

xxx

Rin

Hi Rin,
Thank you.
The little guy on the right is approx 1 3/4 inches standing ( 4cm) and the one on the left is 1 1/2 inches standing.
They are made from a golden brownish coloured upholstery velvet that I've had for approx 10 to 12 years. I bought a fair bit of it,as I really liked using it, and with a 2 inch bear , as you well know, you don't use a lot of it. Haha.
Not sure if they still make it. Back then there used to be a heap of upholstery velvets around. Great for the tiny bears. I've still got a heap of my old velvets left as I had a break from sewing tiny teds for a number of years.

I also like the sassy fabrics, works really well with my little bunnies, but haven't tried using it on a ted under 2 inches. Makes the limbs look too bulky, though maybe adjusting my patterns might work.

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

Omg so small!

I think I'm going to have to get some good upholstery fabric to try and make some really tiny ones.  I got some previously that were a flawed lot to use for practise but it is really good for making miniatures because the sassy fabric I have has knitted backing which is really difficult to work with for tiny bears.

I absolutely love the grey bunny you've made that's with your profile picture.  He is so adorable.

xxx

Rin

Hi Rin,
You do need a good quality upholstery velvet with a grid back like the sassy's.
I think nowadays a lot of the velvets are used for paw pads rather than for mini's and don't  really have a pile. Don't hold me to that because I haven't had to buy any for years. I went nuts when I first discovered I could make mini's and ended up with half a small suitcase full. It was very inexpensive  so I put away for a rainy day. Going to need thunder storms every day for me to ever use it up haha.
The sassy I really think would be too bulky for a Ted as tiny as the ones above. A fabric similar to the one I used works really well for a wee Ted , I'm currently doing a wee one with another one of my old velvets, it actually has a pile longer than the gold I used above, but not as long as the sassy.  It does have a bit of a sheen though. Came in a number of great pastel colours.  Just checked the website I originally bought them from , couldn't find the fabric anymore. If you get stuck finding fabric, let me know.

That bunny is actually a sassy fabric, he's about 2 1/2 inches tall from toes to top of head, 3 inches with ears.
I luv doing bunnies.  I've got well over a dozen of  them in sizes ranging from the 3 inches up to about a foot tall.
I enjoy xmas and easter, I do my teddy display cabinets to match xmas and easter themes. Starting on my xmas one shortly. Sort of takes one back to their childhood. Haha

Rin Sakura Bears
West Yorkshire

I think I'm going to do a search online for some upholstery velvet and see what I can find.

Please post some pictures of your display when it's done, I'd love to see it  bear_wub

edmondnutmeg Padfield bears
Derbyshire
Website

bear_wub Wow how on earth can you make bears that small???? You must have to sew them right side out, is there even any stuffing in there? The smallest I've tried is 4" and it took me as long to make as a 12" bear! I think I must have clumsy fingers as I spent more time looking for the tiny tiny bits every time it flew out out my hands  bear_grin your skill is amazing!
michelle

Crown Critters Crown Critters
Dallas, Texas
Website

Board footer