Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Hello again and welcome to day three here at Teemar Holsteins.  Today our very own Sherwood will see what it is like to milk a cow and experience the some-time-hazards of being near the big beautiful bovines.

images5630Farm-picB23.jpg
This photo was taken inside the first alley of the milking barn.  There are 74 stalls where the cows will be milked.  The pipeline you see above the stall are where the milkers are connected.  This transports the milk from the cow to the milk house where it will be stored in a large bulk tank.

images7689FARM_PIC001-1.JPG 
Here's Sherwood riding the feedcart.  This cart is filled in an adjacent feed room where a huge TMR (Total Mixed Ration) feed mixer mixes the various ingredients from the silos and bins and elevates it into the feed cart.  Then the cart is driven up and down each of the two alleys and dumps the feed in front of each cow.
Farm-picE5-1.JPG
NO! Mark is NOT a Lions fan!!!!  I used to live in Rochester Hills Michigan, very near Detroit, so that jacket used to be mine.  Infact, I still have a very nice Lions sweatshirt  and Mark even said to me, " You're not going to wear that in public are you? " bear_laugh  Here in Northeast Wisconsin it's GO PACKERS!!!! 100%  just incase you were wondering.
FARM_PICZ2.jpg
Mark enters the amount of feed, in pounds, he wants on a computer located in this feed room, from each silo.  The silo unloaders bring the feed on a conveyor and dumps it into the TMR (the big blue thingy in this picture).

A nutritionist helps us to determine just the right ratios of ingredients including corn silage, haylage,  cotton seed, mineral, molasses, and beet pulp from sugar beets, and dry matter hay( alfalpha) to properly feed the cows for maximium and quality milk production.

images5537Farm-picB5.jpg
Sherwood hooks up the milk connector and pulsator(hard to see as it is right behind his head in the photo) to the pipeline before milking the cow. The pulsator is whats gives the milkers an intermitten suction which immitates a human hand squeezing the teats.  The two front teats are milked then the back two,  alternating about every two seconds. 

The national average for one Holstein cow in one year is approximately 20,610 pounds of milk.  Here at Teermar Holsteins the average is just over 28,000 pounds of milk a year per cow.  The  national average for butterfat is 752 pounds, while on our farm it is 1,062 pounds. We do not use BGH( Bovine Growth Hormone) or BST (Bovine Somatatrophin).   Instead, this is a result of specific genetic breeding along with other factors such as hard work and attention to details.
images950Farm-picA4.jpg
Here's Mark in one of my all-time favorite photos.  He's cleaning the cows teats before placing the milkers on.

The teats are prepped with a cleaner, then "stripped" by hand for one to three squeezes to check for mastitis and to ensure the cow has let down her milk.

images6219Farm-picA6.jpg
Mark and I thought we had better demonstrate to Sherwood how to put the milkers on before he tried it himself.
images6610Farm-picB4.jpg
images3603Farm-picB9-1.JPG
Here's Sherwood putting on the milkers.  As he proudly smiled for his photo to be taken, the cow unaccustomed to flash photography and having bear claws near her udder, jumped, which resulted in a "mohair malfunction"!!!  While I was crouched down, holding Sherwood under the cow, she jumped, throwing me off balance landing me on my hind-side catapulting Sherwood under the cow in the next stall.  The cow, being as gentle and "considerate" in this case, tried to avoid stepping on Sherwood.....she did quite a "tap-dance" to avoid a major Mohair disaster.  Phew.  I am happy ...very happy to report that although he had to have some straw brushed out of his fur, he is is just fine.

images2267Farm-picB11-1.JPG

It takes 10 pounds of whole milk to make one pound of cheese and 12 pounds to make a gallon of ice cream.  It takes 21.2 pounds to make ONE pound of butter.

Also, did you know that milk is better for cooling your mouth after eating spicy food? Milk products contain casein, a protein that cleanses burning taste buds.  Good to know!!
images5062Farm-picC2.jpg

images8508Farm-picC7.jpg

Sevral large fans at the far end of the barn draws in outside air creating a 5 mile-an hour breeze, keeping the barn environment fresh and the girls comfortable.
For added cow comfort and good health, each stall contains a cow mattress...yes you heard me...a cow mattress!  If we take care of them, they will be healthier, happier, and in return will take care of us.
images1247Farm-picB25.jpg
Sherwood is taking a break from milking to show you the milk bulk tank.  This is where all the milk is stored and cooled to 40 degrees F.  Every day a large milk truck backs up to this tank in the milk house.  All the milk is then transported to an Italian Cheese Factory a short distance away.
images6714farm-pic12.jpg
images3871Farm-pic15.jpg
images8844Joey_sandpile3-1.JPG
How big are those silos again?....THIS BIG!!!!!
What a great day!  Now it's time for fun in the hay room!
images38Farm-picB22-1.JPG
FARM_PICz1-1.JPG
Here's photo of a Holstein with a recessive trait which makes her ginger brown and white.  They are called "red" cows.  These are uncommon...but she is so pretty had had to include her.
FARM-picK4-1.JPG
I just took these outside photos moments ago.  I love love love being up close with these animals.  These cows are using a cow scratcher.  Our our cows pampered or what!!!!??
FARM-picK9-1.JPG
This is a motorized brush.  When a cow pushes up against it, it rotates.  It's fun to see them enjoying this new toy Mark have given them.  He really loves his cows.
FARM-picK3-1.JPG
FARM-picK5-1.JPG
What a beautiful girl! bear_wub
FARM-picK2-1.JPG
Cows are very curious animals.....
FARM-picK1-1.JPG
FARM-picK7-1.JPG

Well, that's it for today.  Tomorrow we find out what farmers do for fun!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

Antoher wonderful photo spread and story, I loved hearing all about your farm. wow brave bears to get down there by those cows feet and to almost get stepped on.

PaintsNMinis Sidhe Bears
Vienna, NJ

Wow, this is so cool visiting your farm like this!  Amazing you can get any bears created with all the work going on there  *whew*  I think I have a higher regard for my neighbor dairy farmer now, I know he is out there all hours of the day and night, and besides dairy cows, he has a small herd of beef cattle at another farm, along with providing all us horse farms with our hay year long!  Never have gotten a chance to go over and peek in his barn at all the work going on... so nice to visit yours and see how it all comes together!

Robyn

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Judi! What fun.
I love how it's from Sherwoods perspective. Makes really wish I lived on a farm, and glad I'm a vegitarian.
I like what you said about them being fast, gentle and you learn to respect them. Often people give cows no respect.
So thanks for this, it's lots of fun. Funny though, your days seem longer than mine.............................LOL

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap: Judi good on you for NOT using hormones  :clap:   Your girls are so happy and healthy...they do you proud  bear_wub

I just loved today's installment, and was so happy Sherwood only got a wee bit of straw on him....very considerate of the girlies  bear_thumb

I'm so glad you've included the picture of the ginger and white girlie...I've never seen a Holstein that colour!  She's lovely, but then all your girls are boootiful!   bear_wub

Do they have nametags on their collars?

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Judi your reporting and picures are wonderful. One of my first thoughts this morning was.....I wonder what is happening on Judi's farm today? bear_grin  bear_grin Thanks for all of the work that you are putting into this, it is very interesting! bear_thumb

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Another really interesting report Judi.  :clap:   Watching from here in suburban UK, it's as though you live not just in a different country, but in another universe!!  bear_thumb

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I'm so loving this story of your life, Judi.  And I admire your respect for those animals.  I tell ya, I'll never look at a glass of milk; my morning coffee with half-and-half; or that favorite of spreads, pure creamery butter; without some serious appreciation, and a prayer of thanks for people like you and your husband, ever again.  Just incredible!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
DebbieD wrote:

Do they have nametags on their collars?

Deb no they do not have name tags...Mark knows every cow by heart.  That is how much he loves and knows his animals.  He has endless patience and never ...I mean not EVER loses his temper with them.  They know him and respond to him.  It is amazing to watch him in action.

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_original Another wonderful tour!

I'm glad Sherwood's okay. I'm also glad he had the presence of mind not to bite the cow! 

Eileen

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Great photos and info Judi, I have really enjoyed this everyday,
I feel like I'm in milking school! LOL
You have taught us a lot.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

My kids are really enjoying this little lesson in milk making too!!!!!  Before you posted today's instalment, Ben, my youngest, asked me if there were any cows on my computer today!   
Thanks so much for doing this!   I agree... it does give me a whole new appreciation for my favorite dairy products!

Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

This is so much fun Judi. Thank you so much for taking us on this tour. I only wish I could come over for real. You know, when I was little I dreamed of marrying a farmer. Didn't work out, but i'm way to lazy for that kind of commitment anyway.  bear_tongue

:hug:

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

It's great insight into a lifestyle so different from mine....Oh, and I love the brown cow!!!!

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_wub That's so sweet that Mark knows and loves each and everyone of his cows  bear_wub

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I absolutely love this story and getting to know you through Sherwood.    As I've mentioned before my neighbors have cows (just plain ol' no pedigrees I'm sure) but I love watching them and giving them apples (of which they've come to expect).  Cows are the best mothers...and we have a couple new babies.  They are so patient with their wee ones.   I just love the photos you added at the end...sigh.

Too too too cute!!!!

SunnieOne Sunnie Bears
Ridgecrest, CA

I love this picture!
FARM-picK2-1.JPG
Makes you want to give her a big ole smooch!
Sonya

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HA!  I LOVE that picture too.  I took that this morning.  I was thinking of writing under it:  give us a kiss! 

She has such a hairy nose.  Ya gotta love her bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

kassiebears Kassie Bears TM/Creations of Mysticism
Oregon

Hi Judi,     

Great third day report. Wow! I have been around dairy farms from time to time in my life, but I had no idea that all that went on in one day.  bear_grin     
No really. That is truly amazing - I had no idea what was really involved in dairy farms. I have a even bigger respect for dairy farms and dairy farmers.     

Mark knows every cow by heart

Now - that is totally amazing! Holy Cow!!!! How many cows again? I don't remember the number, I would have to go back and find it.  I can't even remember the number of cows never mind remembering all their names!  Mark that is truly amazing!     

"tap-dance" to avoid a major Mohair disaster

Glad neither one of you got hurt. Judi. (More you thro - sorry your not  replaceable.)   

Are cows like horses? They really don't like stepping on other living things. I just hate that in movies were they make it look like horses or cows will run you down - and they like it. My experience with horses is. That may happen, but I don't believe they want to do it. Well, maybe the odd one. But, in general, horses will go out of their way to not step on a person or living thing.   

I just love "red" she is so pretty. Well, that is not her name. What is her name Mark? If I was to get a cow again I would love this color. 

Thank you Judi and Mark and kids for sharing this day with all of us. 
Rachel, Jordan and Joey. Tell me were your favorite places are on the farm? I remember growing up on the ranch and I had a couple of favorite places. I would love to hear about your's.  But, maybe I will just have to wait and see if that is in tomorrows report. "What farmers do for fun! "*wink*

Hugs to the Paul Family.  :hug:  :hug:  :hug: and the cows....

Kassie

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Judi, I've really enhojed reading about life on the farm.  I'm a city girl too so I have learned a LOT from your reports.  They are so informative and fun to read.  The pictures are great and help to tell your wonderful stories.  Look like you have adjusted well to farm life !   Thanks so much for sharing with us.
  :dance:

lemmonbears Lemmon Bears
Oregon Coast

Great story and great pics!! Sherwood's visit with the cows would make a great childrens book.  I love the smooch picture too.
Thanks for the farm visit!
Joan

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon
Judi wrote:

She has such a hairy nose.  Ya gotta love her bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

It's almost like looking in the mirror...of ALL the things to inherit from a relative...unsightly nose hairs was ONE I could do without.   bear_grin    bear_grin

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh Judi!! What wonderful pictures!  These are gorgeous girls, and so deserving of the love they receive!! bear_wub   And so much information.....I'm learning lots!  Thank goodness Sherwood came through his milking adventure unscathed. bear_grin  bear_grin  Can't wait til tomorrow!

:hug:
Tracy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
kassiebears wrote:

Mark knows every cow by heart

Now - that is totally amazing! Holy Cow!!!! How many cows again? I don't remember the number, I would have to go back and find it.  I can't even remember the number of cows never mind remembering all their names!  Mark that is truly amazing!

Mark has a memory like an elephant!  We milk 74 and have about 70 replacement heifers, calves, and a handful of bulls.  He knows every single one by name.  I guess that is what happens when you spend every day of your life with cows. bear_thumb

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin
kassiebears wrote:

Glad neither one of you got hurt. Judi. (More you thro - sorry your not  replaceable.)   

Kassie

aaaawwwww  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer