Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

christy.jpgjapan-artist.jpgjapan-1.jpghall.jpgTaiwan-2.jpgWell , as the saying goes, it is always good to be back home.
The the show in Tokyo/Ebishu on Saurday/Sunday 11th and 12th March was an interesting show for me, as it was the first time I was visiting Japan. It took hours to get there, 13 hours to fly to Hong Kong, then another 4 hours to get to Tokyo with another 1 1/2 - 2 hours in a bus to get to the hotel, so jet lagged, and weary eyed I eventually arrived at the hotel.
Setting up at the show was just like any other show, with the same buzz around, artists meeting up , bears trying to escape having been confined in small places for lengthy times. Artists visiting from the USA, were Mac Pohlen, Rosalie Frischmann and Christy Frimage, plus others from Oz, New Zealand, Sweden, Holland and Taiwan.

When the doors opened on the Saturday morning, the people came running in , making a bee line to the artists whose bears they wanted. Then it was the normal buying spree. Japanese people are very polite, and will not approach you, if they do not speak English, which most of them, did not do at the show, so it is very important to make use of a translator, which if I go again, I will hire, normally young students. Also you must print your business cards in both English and Japansese as they will not take your cards if they are in English only. I did manage thou to sell bears, and one found a home with a blind customer. She felt the little bear, and it was amazing to watch her, she took about 15-20 minutes deciding on her choice and it was one of those sales which touched me. Another sale was a bear which was going to live in a paediatric unit, another thing very close to my heart.

The Japanese Teddy Bear Fan Club, who also sell supplies are introducing a new fabric for bear making- it is a pure silk (Mohair) in a 10mm, 18mm, 30mm pile in white and beige. I have ordered some and will receive it end of June. I was given a small 30mm piece and maybe I can make up something to show.

Scott, I did not go to any lace shops, but I did go mad buying fabric for baby clothes for the grand son expected on 17th July, and yes it is confirmed that it is a BOY. ( I also found BABY -GAP) So this new granny did buy lots of baby clothes, although she is still plain scared and will only be happy once the baby is here , safe and sound , because of my own personal loss.

So now I am back home, it is time to get back to bear making after my house has had a spring clean, which is my normal way of settling down and unwinding, shelves have been filled with food ( hubby seems to clean me out of everything when I am away) and I can get into my sewing room again and onto the pc to chat !!!!!

pictures of the show .
The group picture is of myself and my Taiwanese friends.

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

It sounds FABULOUS!!!

Lucky you going to Japan  :dance:

I would dearly love to go to Japan, to sell bears or for any other reason. I'm glad you enjoyed your shopping spree for your expected grandson - you wait til he arrives, you will go into baby shopping overdrive - i did!!!!
bear_tongue

Penny  :hug:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Wow...how fun....except the LONG travel time.  I just don't do that very well myself.  I LOVE those little piggies...how cute are they?

You look like you are having a wonderful time.  Congrats on the new little grandson...when is his arrival date?

Thanks for sharing!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh Lynette what a wonderful experience!!!!  Great pictures too... love the one of you with your friends bear_original

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Terrific photos; how wonderful to see them and get a taste for the show and the people, even if just a little one.  And the bears are wonderful! 

How long do you give yourself to get there; recover; set up and show; and then return home.  Four or five days?  Just curious.  It sounds like quite a jaunt, and makes me feel a little sheepish about my continued complaining about how hard it is to get to a show in the midwest, which would only be about a five or six hour flight from me here in California.  Must improve that mindset.  That, or get rid of my kids and their school and activity schedules, which are  maybe the biggest part of the timing problem.

Anyway... I'm glad to hear you did well.  If you were to hire a translator next time how would you go about doing that?

So much to learn!

Thanks for sharing,

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Lynette. Greart photos!  You and your bears look wonderful!

You are quite brave to travel to another country without knowing the language.  I have been to Germany, Switzerland, Beligium, France, and Luxembourge,...and I don't speak any of there languages...what a barrie it is!

I have to ask.  Who made the bears in the photo with the darling piggies?  I LOVE those bears.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Super great report and photos, Lynette!  You look awesome, as well as your table full of Fred - i - Bears!  I also love the little piggies . . . soooooooo cute!  That sounds like a wonderful show!

Amanda Pandy Potter Bears
Staffordshire, UK

I love those Piggies too. Maybe its time for us to all go piggie crazy. Mind you I still have'nt done my bunny yet!

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Thanks for sharing your trip report and the pictures!  I really want to go to Japan one day.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I would LOVE to go to Japan!! My first stop would be to visit Marie!  Those piggies are darling!!! It looked PACKED with people! I have never been to a bear show myself so I have no idea if they all get like that or not... I bet it was a great experience! One day when I get some years of bearmaking under my belt I will do the show thing too bear_original

plushkinbear BEAR ME SHOOTKA
Vladivostok, RUSSIA

HA, I'm the closest to my MArie!!!
Kimmy, we have to visit her together! ...Marie, do you hear?  :hug:  bear_laugh  bear_wub

:dance:  Lucky my hubby he saw Marie and will be meeting her once again in the near future1

LYNETTE, THANK YOU FOR SHARING SUCH A GREAT PHOTOS!
Your bears are wonderful and you are HERO to make such a long distance trip!  :hug:  bear_wub

I love that cutie in the front picture (one of yours) in a pink jacket. So cute!  bear_thumb  bear_wub

julia :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Yeah, marie, you listening LMAO! I would love to visit!  bear_wub

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Oh, Lynette, your trip sounds fabulous! Thank you for sharing some pics with us. Your bears are gorgeous and those little piggies are just too cute!

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Oh, you lucky, lucky gal!!  A bear show in Japan sounds just grand.  Would you look at all those people attending.  Wowie, zowie!  I've never seen a bear show that busy.  Good for you!!  Thank you for sharing all the pictures and telling us about your trip. 

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

What a wonderful show you attended Lynette and thanks so much for sharing the photos
and how you got in.
So interesting about the finer details and protocols that they use over there.
The silk mohair sounds interesting.
Glad that you got in some shopping for the new Grandbaby - how exciting.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Maybe we should have the TT chatterbearmakers exhibitors at a fair, can you imagine all the wonderfull creations on show, a good excuse to all meet, what a week-end that would be.
Shelli- next to me was Gerry's Crafts from Oz- a translator was working for them and she gave me her card- her daughter was helping someone, so I could always contact her, or I think through the organisation you could arrange it. They did have a general translator covering an area, but you need someone at your table, to assist as soon as someone stops and looks. I would imagine it would be worth the expense.
Judi The Japanese artist was Eiko Suzuki.I took the picture as it was something different.

TITA
http://www.teddybear.co.jp/
if you go to the website and click on the Japansese  TITA 2007 ( right handside ) it will open up the information about this competition, lower down on this page you will find the ENGLISH application form which will give you all the details  ( in the meantime I will find my form and see if I have any other details)
1. You send in pictures of your bear, Close up of the face, and of the body- like other competitions, if your bear gets nominated, then you have to send the bear to Japan ( so do not make him/her to heavy) The bears are then judged as to which one is the 1,2,3,.
2. I think entries must be in by the end of April 2006( not confirmed yet)
(Appologies I have not studied my entry form yet but thought I would pass on the info- I have been nominated 4 times in this competition)  bear_whistle 

I am learning all the time, but have now done shows from the West to the East, except for the USA and Canada which are next on my list, but I am willing to help and pass on my experiences , you just need to shout.
bear_original
Lynette

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Lynette !! Welcome back !!! thanks for sharing your pics.  bear_smile 
I I I I am little afraid to ask you this....
di di di did you noticed me? 2ladies came to your table on
saturday before noon time(when your customer was adapting your bear), it was ME Marie and my friend Takeko.

I'm so sorry that my poor English may confuse you !?
I thought you heard my name (I'm Marie of the TT ....bra bra bra)
but when you ask me ( do you create bears ?) I was  bear_wacko
then I knew you may did/not recognized me..... so sorry.

I really had fun at your table, talking to you and see your lovely
bears.  bear_flower  bear_smile  Thanks so much for the
lovely spoon !!  bear_wub

Bear Hugs/Marie

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Kim and Julia, I hear you .  bear_grin

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Lynette, thank you so much for sharing your trip to Japan with us, sounds like you learned a lot and come away with some wonderful experiences, the photos are fabulous. :clap:

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

My dear Marie, How sorry I am that I did not realize who you were, you should have spanked me !!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am partially deaf and afraid that sometimes I just pretend to hear, now I am trying to remember and place you, how I would have loved to have linked you to TT, I would have even given you a bear, in friendship !!!!!!!!!!!!!!grrrrrrrrrrrr,

Well I will make sure that next time a fred-i-bear finds he way to your home when I am back in Japan,
bear_thumb
lynette

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Marie, I do remember now, you could not decide between Leo or Tipo, the light or darker bear. Marie, a bit more behind the mohair of little Leo- I purchased that mohair when Daphne showed the picture of a bear she had seen on EBAy, and mentioned that the bear had been made from a new Schulte Alpaca mohair, here in TT. Then I contacted the suppliers at Probear in Germany and mentioned how they supplied it, and I am almost sure you ordered some of the alpaca. Well, Leo is made from that very same fabric- did you realize that when you saw  Leo ? (I of course had to also order the alpaca when I saw it here )
Also I remember you paid me 4 thousand yen, and I got all confused with the 300 yen, and then you gave me the 300 yen, did you think I was very stupid, I was still learning how your money worked !!!!!!!!

Well both you and Takeko signed my visitors book, the very first to sign in Japan, and the very first from TT to do so.  Tipo sold on the Sunday so also lives in Japan now.

Thank you so much for giving one of my bears a new home,as I said the next one will be on me
bear_original
lynette

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

:hug: Hi Lynette ,
Oh no no no, sorry I'm confusing you again !  bear_sad
I didn't adapt Leo, that was other 2Japanese ladies.  bear_tongue
There was many of customer at there so you I don't blame you
for getting confuse!  Your table was really outstanding and
I understand that everyone was drawing to your table naturally.  bear_flower

I and Takeko was visiting your table when Leo was adapt
by the Japanese Lady. We took your picture too.  bear_laugh
I am half of American and Japanese and I look some how
Mexican or Italian.(according to my friends) bear_grin 

When you come to Japan next time,  I'll make sure
who I am.  bear_tongue  I wish I could attend to the show next year !!   :pray:

Bear Hugs/Marie

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Marie,
Ok, now I have seen your picture I do REMEMBER you, and yes I thought you said you were from the Japanese Teddy Bear Teddies ( Magazine) phew am I pleased that things are finally sorting themselves out, just sorry that at the time I did not get the right connection. bear_angry
Now , I would have dragged you off and taken you for some coffee ( or Japanese tea?)
Well next time, you will have a stand right next to mine.
See what happens when you get older, the brain starts wobbling  bear_grin  bear_grin

Lynette

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh Lynette,
please don't be sorry !!!
I'm just glad that you know me Now.  :D
I can't wait to see you next time.  :hug: 

I was telling  my friends
" I know Lynette, I know her ! " and
my friends were going  bear_wacko  " how  ?" . hehe

T.T. is not a secret place but my friends think so.  bear_tongue

Bear Hugs/Marie