Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

I'm hoping I can catch some of you this evening who have offered/used a layaway option for customers in the past.  I just had a message from the super nice lady who bought my last bear listed on ebay, asking me if I would consider layaway on Maggie if she were to win her.  She really wants this bear, and is a bit short on cash at the moment.  She has 100% feedback, is an avid collector, and is, I believe, a very honest and genuine person.  Now, my question is:  How do I go about this so it's fair and safe for both of us?  How do you guys handle this?  Any feedback would be greatly appreciated so I can make a decision on how to handle this and get back to her right away. 

:hug:
Tracy

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

The link Daphne posted is great.  Shelli really does a professional job with her contracts.

I personally don't have a contract for layaway but I usually always have people with bears on layaway.  Right now there are three people who have my bears on layaway.  It's a great way to get homes for bears....and lets face it...they can get pretty expensive so layaway is a great option to offer buyers.  I offer three to six months with the total amount , including shipping/insurance divided equally into the 3 or 6 months.   

In my experience this has worked very well and I have not yet been stiffed.  I think most people are pretty genuine and you have nothing to lose , really, by offering layaway, except that you have to wait a while to get full payment.  But this way you can enjoy your bear longer.  NEVER EVER EVER send a bear unitl it is PAID IN FULL.

ALSO:

NEVER send bears COD.  I got ripped off over $1,000 due to a COD check that bounced.  This was from a customer of mine who has spent over $6,000 in one year buying bears from me.  I thought I knew her.  I think she got herself into financial trouble and was too embarassed to face me.   To make matters worse, I got slapped with bank charges over $20 for HER bounced checks.....lets pour sopme salt on my wounds.  This was about two years ago and I still don't have my money. I have her in collections but I stopped holding my breathe a year ago.

AND, if you're not sure about a buyer, wait until any check clears before sending a bear....or you may end up kicking yourself

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_wub  bear_wub You guys are the best!  I will definitely go ahead with this, and now I know just how to do it! :dance:

Judi--I am so sorry to hear about the horrible experience you had with the COD customer.  Thanks for the advice regarding an arrangement like that.  I will sure remember that!

:hug:
Tracy

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Thanks for the info.  I have always wondered why people don't accept COD and now I know why.  I always thought that COD meant exactly that CASH not cheques... may have to check it out in Australia.

Board footer