Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

Picture-2011.jpgPicture-1984.jpgPicture-1983.jpgHi Everyone,
I hate to post another sad & depressing story but I just had to share my latest unbeleiveable doggie problem with yous. Wait until you read this your not going to believe it, but unfortunately it's true. I'm still trying to figure out how my life has turned into a continuous nightmare- someone please pinch me so I wake up.
On to the story- Before everything happened with Magic my 1 & half yr. old Pomeranian Mercedes was acting wired. She would occasionally have episodes where she would shake, pant real heavy & run around like she didn't know what to do with her self. I had my regular vet do blood work & x-rays but he couldn't find any thing wrong. I kept saying it seemed to be neurological because she also acted disoriented, but my vet didn't think so. Well, I didn't want to wait any longer to figure out what the problem was. So Monday morning it was back to the Univ. Of Penn emergency room. They agreed with me & said it sounded like a brain problem. So today she had a MRI & they did a tap of her brain fluids & determined it is her brain. I can't remember the actual name but it was described like this: for some unknown reason the body starts attacking the brain like it's a bacteria or infection. So they have to try & surpress her immune system with steroids & Chemo treatments to get it to stop destroying her brain. Since we caught it early she should have a good response with treatment. They said with treatment most dogs can live about 3 years without severe problems. But they never really know & we'll have to wait & see how it goes. She'll need to go to the hospital a couple times a week to keep a close watch on her progress. She's coming home tomorrow & I can't wait to give her a big hug. -
Thanks in advance for all your prayers & best wishes.
~ Sandy
Ps. Please don't mind her funky hair cut in these pictures- I practice my scissor sculpting on her & you can see I'm not very good at it.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I've never seen a Pom in that coloring  bear_wub   bear_wub  Prayers,best wishes and hugs for all of you. Things will get better Sandy ,just hang in there.  :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:    :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Oh Sandy,  I don't even know what to say.  You're going through such a tough time that doesn't seem to end.  I'm sorry about Mercedes.  I really hope she responds to treatment and she gets better.  Sending many, many hugs your way.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Oh, Sandy, bear_cry  bear_cry  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I'm glad little Mercedes can be treated, (she is so pretty!) but it still must be so difficult to go through and so soon after losing Magic. bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry
My heart and prayers go out to you. I hope the sun breaks through soon.
Many big fuzzy hugs, :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Bonnie

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Oh Sandy, I am so sorry that you are going through this rough time again, with Mercedes not
being well.
I really hope that she responds well with the treatment.
Sending a big hug your way!
:hug:

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Oh, Sandy, I hope that Mercedes will respond to the treatments. What a pretty little girl she is. Her coat is just the neatest I've seen. Thank you for sharing the pictures with us. I'll keep her in my prayers and you too. :hug:  :hug:

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

bear_cry I feel for you! Isn't she a bit young to be having brain problems or did she get it as a puppy?  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Bless You Sandy!!! You and your lovely family are in our prayers!

Hugs Louise

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

So sorry to hear this, sending hugs and prayers for you and your fur baby!  :hug:

nettie scotland
Website

I am not a believer in a higher power but you do seem to be being tested somehow.I have everything crossed for a happy outcome.Stay strong if you can
Diane xxx

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

Big Hugs for you Sandy and super big hugs for little Mercedes. I do hope she gets on ok.

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs Jane   :hug:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

I will cross all my fingers for Mercedes!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh my gosh Sandy.... I am SO sorry!!!  Sending good thoughts your way.... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

pandamac 'EmBears
Northern New York State
Website

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  Sending many people and puppy hugs your way. Hope he responds well to treatments..... :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Oh no sandy bear_sad  I feel so bad for you.  I didn't know you had a pom, I have two.  I hope the little dear is ok. 

I will be sending you my thoughts and prayers :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug: 
:hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:

She has a twinkle in her eye saying "I'm a trooper! I'm invincible!" Sounds like she's in great hands and has a mommy who will do anything for her. That puts all the odds in her favor!!!

Hugs,
Daphne

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

.....I'll probably be totally unpopular, but sometimes with our animals, the brightest happiest spark was never meant to be in our lives for very long....  They come in and warm our lives and before we've even gotten used to having such sunshine in our lives, they are gone.... 

From your first description, I was going to say epilepsy, but the U of P has a much more complicated diagnosis.... Enjoy her every minute you can .... and that actually goes for all of us as pet/animal owners, we never really know how much time we have, so we must make the most it. 

I do feel so sad that you're beset upon so badly, but perhaps this is the end of the run of three?  ...things travel in threes...  you're certainly due for some good luck and happy news at this point!  :hug:  Will be keeping you and cheeky Mercedes in my thoughts!  :hug:   

I've never seen a Pom this colouring either... wonder if there's some merl sheltie in her background??

Chowlea Bears Chowlea Bears

The important thing is that she was meant to come to you to be cared for.  Lots of animals aren't so lucky to have such a caring owner.   You are doing the very best that you can for her and at the end of the day that's all you can do - support the Professionals.

I lost two of my dogs in 2005 so I know how you feel.  Other people think your stupid but if they haven't had a dog in their life they don't know what they're talking about.

If her quality of life is good - then she's happy.

I would appreciate a progress report if its possible - I'm sure others would as well.

Sandra

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Sandy, she's lucky to have you.  Many would not go through heroics as you are to save your pup.  bear_wub  Hugs to you and your furry baby. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

bear_cry  bear_cry Oh, Sandy!!  I am so sorry to hear this.  You have already had more than your share of worry and heartbreak with your beloved puppies lately.  You and Mercedes are in my thoughts and prayers for a speedy recovery!

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
Tracy

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What despair, and exhaustion, you must be feeling, after so many heart-hurting doggie trials.

bear_cry

I do believe in the statement that those things which don't kill us, just make us stronger.  You seem pretty strong to me already, though!, so I'm hoping for a quick and happy resolution to this, yet another precious pup problem.

I wrote you an email the other day even before you posted about this newest veterinary issue,  because I've missed your posts; hope you got it.

Warm, healing thoughts coming your way, honey...

:hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Pipa UK

Aww your poor puppy..give her a big cuddle from me too !!! hope all goes well with her and she doesn't suffer any more episodes.  :hug:

baggaley bears Baggaley Bears
UK ( nottinghamshire )
Website

Sending good thoughts your way Sandy  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Hugs
Vicki

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

:hug:   :hug:   :hug:   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:
I wish I could do more for you.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

My word, Sandy . . . you've had waaaaay more grief to deal with than anybody should.  I do hope Mercedes
pulls through this malady - she looks like a real trooper to me.  What a cute little girl!  Big hugs to you and I'm sending my strongest best wishes vibes your way.  Try to keep us informed if you can.   :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Board footer