Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

Dear fellow bear lovers,

I know many of you also belong to other email lists that I do, and you may have already seen this, but I can't stress enough how important this is.  I'm hoping that my warning as many people as I can will somehow make all the suffering my dad is going through serve a purpose by helping someone else.

As many of you may already know, for the past month I have been spending much more time in hospital rooms than the studio because my dad has just had surgery for esophageal cancer.  The surgeon removed half of his esophagus and 1/3 of his stomach on February 28.  Three weeks plus later, he is still hospitalized and can not yet have anything by mouth.  The good news is, his cancer was caught early and he will probably be ok after this long recovery from the surgery.

He had suffered from persistent heartburn for years.  We used to tease him about getting heartburn from a glass a water....we're not laughing about that any more.

A recent article in our local paper explains that the heartburn is a major warning of this fast growing (in number of cases) and extremely deadly cancer.  I have created a PDF file of that article and posted it on my website.

PLEASE!  If you or someone you care about has persistent problems with heartburn, go get tested!!  It could save your life.   Because there seems to be a familial link, I'm going next month.

The link to the article is:  http://www.esmerldas.com/cancer.pdf

Thanks for your time reading this.

Bev Haring
http://www.esmerldas.com
http://esmerldas.blogspot.com/
"Trust your instincts, close your eyes and LEAP!"

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Hi Bev,
Thank you for posting this here, i have just read the article and will remember what it says - 'fore armed is fore warned' as they say.
I am sorry to hear about your Dad but i am very happy that he will be OK after he recovers from his operation.
Give him a big hug from me and tell him i wish him well Bev  :hug:

Hugs to you too  :hug:

Penny

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Thanks much, Bev, and very best wishes to your dad for a speedy recovery.

nettie scotland
Website

You are very kind to warn us all in your time of trouble.I hope your dad can eat soon.
I have freind who has constant heartbrn and they test him every year in hospital.The procedure is painful but will prevent him from going through what your poor dad has.I will tell him your story.
Diane xxx

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Bev, I'm sorry to hear about your dad; I hope he has a quick recovery.

Thanks for keeping us advised and up to date; forewarned is forearmed!

:hug:

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh boy, I get heartburn all the time. At least a few times a day.

Now i'm all worried............................

THanks for the heads up, sorry to hear about your dad

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hope your dad gets better soon, thanks for posting the link!

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Hi Bev,

Sorry to hear about your Dad and glad that they were able to catch it early
and hope that he makes a speedy recovery.
Thanks for the warning and posting the link.

Hugs
Carolyn
bear_flower

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Hi Bev,
Sorry to hear about your Dad.  Does this mean we will not get to see you this year at Nevada City?
Donna

Esmerldas Esmerldas
Colorado Springs, CO

Thank you for all of your messages for my dad.  I have been printing off emails, etc., that I get and "papering" his hospital room with them, a little reminder for him when he's having a rough time that LOTS of people are pulling for him.

As of right now, we are planning to be in Nevada City (about now, I really need that time with my bear making "family") as my daughter will check up on her "g-pa" every day while we are gone (she's such a good kid!).

Thanks again to you all, and God Bless

"Trust your instincts, close your eyes and LEAP!"

Board footer