Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Okay, so I'm just doing the final touches on this bear. I really like what I've done so far and I'm sitting here thinking that this bear should fetch a good price.

I've done the eyes, nose and  just have the mouth and shading left, and I notice that near the back of the head, you can see some of the stitches. I never noticed. Sure I used matching thread, but you can still see a good inch of stitching sticking out.  THere is NO WAY I am going to take apart the head.

So, can I still sell this bear? I've seen such few artists bears to compare to. Would a collector get this bear and be horrified at the poor workmanship? Or am I just being weird today.  bear_wacko  bear_wacko  bear_laugh

So, how are your bears? Is every bear perfectly symmetrical? Are the 2 footpads always the same? Can you ever see stitching? etc, etc, etc. Or sometimes, are your bears less than perfect, although perfectly cute.

Thanks for the input,

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Of course they are always perfect.... (laughing hysterically, rolling on the floor)

In all seriousness, NO!!!    There is always something I wish I would have done differently or better.  I've given up on perfection...it's just not possible.  Perfectly cute is the best I got!!!!   Maybe in a few years when I have a few bears under my belt I can achieve near perfection.  For now...I'm just happy playing in fur and finding a cute face underneath it!!!

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yep, mine too.  Always 100% completely perfect.

Heather, get a grip.   bear_smile

You could try ladder stitching the section together if it bugs you.  Otherwise, chalk it up to "artistic license."  As long as you don't think it will affect the lifespan of your bear (and it's likely only an aesthetic thing), let it go and forgive yourself for being the ONLY bearmaker who can't produce a COMPLETELY PERFECT teddy.

bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_original  bear_original  bear_original  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Heather,
Shelli is right, ladder stitch the area where the stitching shows.  If in the future this is a problem, double stitch your head.  Don't be hard on yourself, I have seen many of the big names that have flaws.  Some of them were so bad that I would not have put the bear on my table for sale.  It is good you care and this is a good learning experience for you.
Donna

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Yep Heather, don't let it spoil your feeling for the teddy.  As already said, you can do a ladder stitch to tighten it up, but unless it reeeeeally bothers you and  it is like a 1/4 inch wide, I wouldn't do it.  I've seen a lot of artist's bears and there is often something not perfect about them and sometimes that adds character.  After all our bears are "people made" not "factory made" LOL.  Heck, one of my biggest disapointments, a few years ago, was finding out that a well know artist I really admired, used glue for a lot of things instead of stitching things together! 

Hugs,

Brenda

BrozZ BearZ BrozZ BearZ
Toowoomba

My bears are far from perfect. I always get a stitch or two sticking out. I also think you should ladder stitch it.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Phrases like "Perfectly Symetrical" and "Exactly the Same" do NOT belong in teddy bear making or handmade work, period.

I'll spare you my story about the Amish... most of you have heard it a thousand times.

Essentially, we're human.... thus not perfect. Sure, it's wise in our work to avoid any outrageously obvious oopses... like where your stitches show... if it was a huge gaping whole with stuffing oozing out then you'd want to fix it.  bear_original  Little imprefections are expected... like foot pads not being exactly the same.

To be honest, I find some of those imprefections add charm and character to a bear. But that's just MY opinion! It may not be the look one is going after, that's a different story!

You'll learn with each bear the areas you need to focus on in the 'making' process. I never went back to fix any of my not so perfect bears. I just learned with each one and loved each one the way it was.... and so did others!!!!! bear_original

:hug:
Daphne

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Hi Heather
If you were to draw a line down the centre of your own body you would see that you are not perfectly symetrical either- none of us are!!! If you don't want to sew each seam twice then just shorten the stitch length on your sewing machine and sew once. You could also put a hat on or a wide ribbon around the bear's head to cover the stitches
Hugs
Gail :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

I'm totally horrified Heather. bear_angry  I thought better of you.  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
I lost points on a bear at a show because on one ear you could see a stitch. Mind you I had to get the magnifying glass out to see this stitch.  The moral to this story, is every single person has their own private view to perfection.  If your worried about it, fix it. If not dont bother. Relax and enjoy your bear.
Just dont be so sloppy next time.  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_wacko  bear_whistle Wendyxx bear_wub  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

psichick78 wrote:

So, how are your bears? Is every bear perfectly symmetrical? Are the 2 footpads always the same?

Are you kidding?  Surely you jest, my friend!!!!!!!!!

nettie scotland
Website

I double stitch every seam in the whole bear so that if there are  dodgy bits(hopefully not too many) I know they are safe.I would ladder stitch it as you are obviously worried and will no rest till its fixed.I made a mutant head the other day and tried to take i apart to use the stuffing.Thats when I knew my bears were bomb proof.It took ages to get the joint out and even loner to remove the eyes.I think a collector would have to inflict some serious abuse on a bear to damage it.
look at your finished bear in the mirror ,its like another set of eyes.
Diane xxx

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi,
           I agrre, I double stitch all parts of my bears too. But I think although we all strive for perfection, how many of us really ever get there. Hugs Rita xx

clare14 Country Bears
England

I also stitch everything twice, and like Diane said, if you ever want to take a piece apart, it takes forever!!! 

I'm also finding that my bears are improving with everyone I make, which proves I am getting better at it - I hope!!   

I hope you get your bear sorted Heather, can we see a picture of him/her??   :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

"Perfectly" written, Lisa! bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Oh dear! Where are you all going????
Do you really beleive we are supposed to make "perfect" bears?  You are kidding, aren't you?
I my bears were perfect, I would not have anymore fun making them! What is making me this exciting feeling when bear making is to see every improvement I make with each new bear!
We are not programmed robots who cannot make any mistake. These are these little imperfections which give a soul to our bears. you embroided a strange nose on your bear? Oh, that makes him so special you would not dare redo it, would you?
Never forget that your bear is guiding your fingers when sewing! so if you ended up stitching a strangely shaped nose, that is because your bear wanted it! unless you were drunk, of course  bear_tongue  bear_grin !

So keep in mind that your bears are always perfectly lovable because you made them with your fairy fingers and your loving heart. by handmaking them you gave him a soul! If you don't fall in love for one of your bears, that does not mean he is not lovable, but only that he was made to be loved by someone else!!!

I am a bear collector, and I don't look for perfect bears but for APPEALING bears!

So stop stressing about minute details and stay yourselves! bear_cool
I love you like you are, and not like I imagine you should be!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

bear_flower

Oh dear, what a philosophical speech I wrote!  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_whistle  bear_grin

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:hug: Heather I hope you are feeling better about your bear  :hug:   And you've got a solution if that stitching is driving you nuts... go ahead and ladder stitch over it... BUT I daresay whoever becomes this bear's new mommy will probably love it to bits  bear_wub   

I have to say I was laughing hysterically myself over the title... My bears are "perfect" in my eyes for about a day or so, then I start finding things that I want to improve or that I "could have done better".  There are very, very few of my bears, or my other artworks, that hang around for that very reason.  I'm too derned picky...and I realize that is part of "me" and that's something that I've tried to improve over the years.  I realize once I've completed a bear or another piece of art, once I've laid down my needle or pencil, I *need* to let it be.  As for those 'blemished' bears or paintings or drawings?  They've all gotten homes with new owners who are not only daily delighted, but would be horrified if I tried to 'improve' it!!!  bear_wub   No, in their eyes, that bear IS perfect!   bear_wub   And that's as it should be.  :dance:

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

My bears are as perfect as me Heather!!!

No, actually they are better than that  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

NOTHING is ever perfect we just perceive things as being perfect/imperfect Heather.

Bears are sewn - stitches are involved - so where's the problem with a few teeny weeny signs of the stitching?

You are just being toooo hard on yourself Heather me darlin  bear_flower

Penny  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Tracy ThimbleBeary Originals
Iowa
Website

My bears are absolutely perfect!!!

bear_whistle bear_laugh  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_grin  bear_grin

Ha!! Yeah, right!! bear_laugh  I find mistakes in all of them, but try to put it down to the originality of each one.  As long as my bear is appealing, it's fine.  (Tell myself that anyway! bear_tongue )  If something isn't quite right, I usually wait to address it in the next bear, unless it's something simple to fix. 

Penny wrote:

You are just being toooo hard on yourself Heather me darlin

What she said!!!!!!

:hug:
Tracy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

My bears are only perfect in bringing joy to their new mommies or daddies.  Love itself is not even perfect.  Only GOD is perfect.

Lisa, I love yoru quote!

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

See...look at my last post...typo queen!  I too amd sooooooo faaaarrr from perfect.

Ps...what's the definitiopn of perfect anyway?  How many bears out there have stitches coming out...on purpose!  To some collectors..that look is perfect for them.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Oh wow, I'm touched guys.

I never knew so many of you made perfect bears!! he he he he he

I'm sitting here all by myself at work, just howling at your responses. What a funny bunch.
So thank heavens my bears don't have to be perfect. I can spend more time fretting over a tiny imperfection than I do with the nose.

Lisa, a great read. You are soo right!

Brenda, no way! I guess you can never tell with just a picture. who would've though they had used so much glue!

And I honestly thought I was the only one who didn' t make the foot pads 'perfect'. PHEW!!!!!

Wendy
, can't believe you lost points because of one stitch. Even I think that's crazy.

So, because of you guys, I'm going to leave the stitching alone. Heck, bet no-one would even notice. Unless another bearmaker  bear_whistle

I'm really touched by your replies, thanks soo much.

and yes, I'll post a pic when I'm done.  bear_innocent

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Perfection is the joy when someone finds the bear talks to them.  I look at my bears and think oh dear this should be done this way.....
And then someone comes long and falls in love with the bear even the ones I thought unloveable and they are the perfect owner for that bear.
The bears are perfect the way they are.

Board footer