Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Does anyone know what those screw thingies are called that don't have a head - you use a lock nut on them and you use an allen wrench to tighten them?  And are they available anywhere like a hardware store, instead of having to order them?sup_setScrew.jpg

Thanks in advance!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

My hubby says they might be called "studs" in hardware stores...

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

I do...they are referred to as "setscrews"!!!  You can find them here at Intercal or and at Edinburgh Imports.   They were cheaper than trying to  buy them at my local hardware store...mainly because they didn't have the right size in stock.

Here's a great discussion on them...

http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=2662

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What Shantell said!  :clap:

ConnieB Cincinnati, Ohio

Greeat information!  Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!! bear_thumb

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Connie,
I would like to add here that I sell a screwdriver bit that fits into the end of the setscrew or grub screw.  You use it in place of the allen key.  I put mine in a racheting screwdriver and your jointing is a breeze.
Donna

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Grub or set screws in Aus ......

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shantell is our latest expert on set screws! bear_original And she's right about getting them from Edinburgh or Intercal.

Donna's bit for a changeable screwdriver or handheld cordless is perfect... much better than using the allen key... especially if you are getting the smaller diameter set screws for little bears.

I've also heard these screws called 'grub screws' but they may be a British term.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

I can't find setscrews in Intercal's catalogue. Am I blind? Can anyone give me the link please?

Board footer